What is the "kalendar?"

As opposed to the “calendar?”

It is a dark green calendar rich in essential vitamins and minerals.

I thought it was a hybrid vegetable composed of Kale, endive, and arugula myself.

I thought it was the German spelling of calendar?

No, that would be Kalender.

It’s a Kardashian day planner, of course. :smiley:

I am one of the handful of members here who uses kalendar. This is an old English usage that denotes the Church kalendar, as opposed to the civil calendar. Those who come from an Anglican background, or other Anglophiles, will be most familiar with it.

Meine deutsch nicht gut es.

I am from an Episcopal/Anglican background, but have never heard of kalendar.

I think it’s just a remnant from the days before spelling was standardized, especially in situations where Latin (“kalendarium”) might have an influence on whatever is being discussed.

The Latin word kalendarium, meaning some kind of periodically arranged
account book, is applied to medieval manuscript calendars and also to
manuals of, for instance, astronomical, astrological, medical, or horticultural
texts based on the changing months and seasons of the year. The word is
occasionally found used as a formal term for an almanac or a diary. Kalendarium
appears, for instance, as the heading to the principle manuscript of
the celebrated diary of John Evelyn (1620–1706), begun probably in the late
1630s and covering the greater part of his life from 1620 to 1697 (now in the
British Library), as well as in the title of his published Kalendarium hortense:
or, the Gard’ners Almanac (1664).

They can be civil— like, for example, The Royal Kalendar, which was annually published at least during the 18th and 19th centuries.

They can be agricultural-- for example, “The Planter’s Kalendar” from 1812.

They can be historical, like yearbooks-- for example, “A Kalendar For Pennsylvania 1914.”

They can be liturgical, like “The Gilbertine Rite”, which includes a missal, a kalendar, and office hours.

I have a book on my shelf called the “Kalendar and Compost of Shepherds”, which is interesting-- originally published in 1493, and published in English in 1513, and re-edited for 1931. It has various tables-- signs of the zodiac, movable feasts-- and medical advice and spiritual advice. It breaks down the seven deadly sins into their various “branches” with various examples. It talks about how shepherds ought to live, eat, and drink in different seasons. It has a (pseudepigraphical? is that the word?) story about Lazarus’ journey through hell. And various bits and pieces of poetry and stuff. Definitely a hodgepodge-- which is why it’s a “compost”, because it’s a “compositum”.

No difference. “Kalendar” is an alternate spelling of “calendar”, from an archaic spelling of the Latin (e.g. “kalendae”). At some point the use of “k” in Latin became limited to archaic/historic terms, with the letter C taking its place when it came before a vowel.

The simple answer, with no further explanation required, is that “kalendar” is merely an alternate/archaic spelling of “calendar.” The two words mean exactly the same thing.

It’s a Kardashian day planner, of course.

:extrahappy:

Kalendars are great. I use mine for straining the water out of spaghetti!

:rotfl:

Spaghetti? I only use mine for dates… :smiley:

:tiphat:

For dates? Your poor girlfriends. :o

Then look here. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
episcopalbookstore.com/product.aspx?productid=9690

Well, I was nonpracticing from 18 years of age until my late 40’s, so I wasn’t exposed to everything Anglican! Sounds like a good bookstore though for Episcopalians and
Anglicans!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.