What is the Kingdom of God?

What is the Kingdom of God? Sometimes it seems as if it is here on earth and other times as if it were in eternity.

After they had proclaimed the good news to that city
and made a considerable number of disciples,
they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch.
They strengthened the spirits of the disciples
and exhorted them to persevere in the faith, saying,
“It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships
to enter the Kingdom of God.
Acts 14

The fruitful enough shall enter it. It is probably not only in ‘eternity’. For some people (though probably not all) it is distinct from being saved from damnation due to prior sins.

The Kingdom of Gid and the Kingdom of Heaven are synonymous terms. The Gospel of Jesus is the Kingdom message. The two kingdoms…this world and our eternal home are two places we exist in at the same time. His Kingdom in us is the divine message for all who believe. This Kigdom is not our home. His Kingdom is the message taking us from living only here to being one with Him while living our life here.

Faith is not doctrinally adherent it the divine kingdom is not manifest in our lives here and now. We are to walk in all the ways Jesus did. We are to demonstrate His presence on earth in demonstrations of Holy Spirit power. Love and healing walk hand in hand I our new position in Christ. We are members of a divine order superseding mental assent and entering into a world where we are one with Him as He is with the Father

It is never clearly defined as to what the Kingdom of God is. We may not fully know until the resurrection. But, I think the Kingdom of God relates to our relationship with God. If our relationship is very good, then we are in the Kingdom of God.

It’s a misnomer, but it’s the best we can do given God has no substance and is unknowable, even in heaven.

“Kingdom of God” is another name for the Church (see CCC 763 ff). God Himself used the expression, therefore I wouldn’t call it a misnomer. An analogy, perhaps. In truth, earthly kingdoms are but dim reflections of the Church, and not the other way around. I mean “Church” in the fullest sense, not just the Church Militant.

Hi,
Some want to see a distinction between Christ’s Kingdom, the Kingdom of God, and the Heavenly Kingdom… it is one Kingdom… when we follow Jesus’ Word we find that it actually begins here and now:

28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (St. Matthew 12:28)

28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’ 29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. 30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go. 31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?” “The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. (St. Matthew 21:28:32)

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:
“‘The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;
the Lord has done this,
and it is marvelous in our eyes’?
43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.” (St. Matthew 21:42-44)

And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.” (St. Mark 9:1)

These passages (above) demonstrate that the Kingdom of God is not only a futuristic time and place but an actual emanation from the Immanuel (God-with-us):

Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” (St. John 7:38)

Truly, the Kingdom of God is at hand!

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.