What is the longest, shortest, and middle chapter in the Bible?

Any number crunching geeks out there? Starting from the mistaken assumption that the Bible has 66 books, I often see these stats:

What is the shortest chapter in the Bible?
Answer - Psalms 117

What is the longest chapter in the Bible?
Answer - Psalms 119

Which chapter is in the center of the Bible?
Answer - Psalms 118

What is the center verse in the Bible>
Answer - Psalms 118:8

Could anyone do the same for me using the LXX according to this traditional ordering of the 46 books of the Old Testament and 27 of the NT?
I want to know what is the longest chapter in the list below of the 73 books of the Bible, and what is the shortest chapter of the Bible and what is the center chapter of the Bible and what is the center verse in that center chapter?
Thanks, New Munera

:black_small_square: Genesis
:black_small_square: Exodus
:black_small_square: Leviticus
:black_small_square: Numbers
:black_small_square: Deuteronomy
:black_small_square: Joshua
:black_small_square: Judges
:black_small_square: Ruth
:black_small_square: 1 Samuel
:black_small_square: 2 Samuel
:black_small_square: 1 Kings
:black_small_square: 2 Kings
:black_small_square: 1 Chronicles
:black_small_square: 2 Chronicles
:black_small_square: Ezra
:black_small_square: Nehemiah
:black_small_square: Tobit

• Judith
    :black_small_square: Esther
    :black_small_square: 1 Maccabees
    :black_small_square: 2 Maccabees
    :black_small_square: Job
    :black_small_square: Psalms
    :black_small_square: Proverbs
    :black_small_square: Ecclesiastes
    :black_small_square: Song of Songs
    :black_small_square: Wisdom
    :black_small_square: Sirach
    :black_small_square: Isaiah
    :black_small_square: Jeremiah
    :black_small_square: Lamentations
    :black_small_square: Baruch
    :black_small_square: Ezekiel
    :black_small_square: Daniel
    :black_small_square: Hosea
    :black_small_square: Joel
    :black_small_square: Amos
    :black_small_square: Obadiah
    :black_small_square: Jonah
    :black_small_square: Micah
    :black_small_square: Nahum
    :black_small_square: Habakkuk
    :black_small_square: Zephaniah
    :black_small_square: Haggai
    :black_small_square: Zechariah
  • Malachi

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation

Even using the Protestant Bible that e-mail forward seems to be wrong about which verse is in the center.

valuesvoternews.com/2011/03/snopescom-is-wrong-about-center-of.html (a critique of a Snopes article, but the original Snopes article seems to have been taken down)

At the very least the matter is in dispute.

The longest and shortest chapters would not change–at 176 verses, Psalm 119 is still the longest, since even the Song of the Three Young Men added to Daniel 3 only brings it up to 100 verses, and Psalm 117’s 2 verses is the shortest.

The Middle chapter, though, is harder. WIkipedia says the middle chapter of the 1189 in the Protestant Bible is Psalm 117. The Catholic Bible, however, has 1074 in the Old Testament, and 260 in the new, for a total of 1334 chapters, which means there is no one center chapter.

My math may be off, but I get Psalms 122-123 as the middle two.

An additional complication: various Bible editions have the Psalm titles usually as a separate verse or two, others have them listed as “T”, or even omit them, or relegate them to a footnote. This would change the number of verses in the final count.

Isn’t there a numerology forum?
A “secret bible code” forum?
A superstition forum?
A “God knows if you forward this email” forum?

Thankfully, not.

Thanks Bmonk, good answer. I wanted to know for homiletic reasons (not superstitious reasons, to be sure). I encourage my parishioners to read the Bible, and I like Bible trivia. I recently memorized the 73 books of the Bible in order. PTL!

Middle chapter in Bible? The Catholic Bible has 1074 verses in the Old Testament, and 260 verses in the new, for a total of 1334 chapters, which means there is no one center chapter.

Psalm 122 (9 verses) and Psalms 123 (4 verses)-- are the middle two chapters of the Bible. So the verse in the middle of the Bible is Psalm 122, verse 6b: “May those who love you prosper!”

Well, to be precise, you would have to find the total number of verses, and count half–which could be difficult.

You could also find the middle verse of the middle book, and so on.

BMonk-- I did find the middle verse of the middle chapters didn’t I? So, wouldn’t that be the center verse in the Catholic Bible? i.e. Psalm 122 (9 verses) and Psalms 123 (4 verses)-- are the middle two chapters of the Bible. So the verse in the middle of the Bible is Psalm 122, verse 6b: “May those who love you prosper!”

BTW, regarding the longest psalm in the Bible, Psalm 119, we Do certainly pray that one!

GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS

1. Psalms too long to be included in one hour of the office are assigned to the same hour on different days so that they may be recited in full by those who do not usually say other hours. Thus Ps 119 is divided in keeping with its own internal structure and is spread over twenty-two days during daytime prayer, because tradition has assigned it to the day hours.

-New Munera

What is the point of all of this? Its meaningless and has nothing to do with our faith or salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.