What is the main reason you avoid sin?

Please be honest here. I want to want to avoid sin out of love for God and fellow man, but the fear of Hell is so paralyzing and terrible that it overshadows every other aspect of my life.

After all, Hell is ETERNAL TORMENT.

because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because I love Thee, O God, who art all good and worthy of all my love

[quote=Hermione]Please be honest here. I want to want to avoid sin out of love for God and fellow man, but the fear of Hell is so paralyzing and terrible that it overshadows every other aspect of my life.

After all, Hell is ETERNAL TORMENT.
[/quote]

Yes, as the great Saint Thomas Aquinas has pointed out, “Nothing is more serious than being in hell.” But despite this, personally I tend to see Christianity more as being a religion of love than being a religion of fear, and on the rare occasions I do something good I don’t think I’m doing it out of fear.

I couldn’t vote. I sin.

I pray with God’s grace the motivation will grow in the love of God, neighbor and self. Avoiding pain and punishment tops my list at this time though :o

I’m so sick of hearing people say I (or others) will go to hell if we do this, or if we do that, that I don’t even listen anymore. Nor do I worry about it. Threats of punishment is all we had before Jesus to keep people behaving like a bunch of trained rats. Human beings respond much better to higher callings to love.

Personally I think the act of contrition is poorly worded because although it says “most of all because they offend thee” it is worded so that it still sounds like an afterthought. Like, “Oh Yeah, God, I’m sorry for what I did because I might have gotten caught and you might punish me. Of course, though, I really obey you because I love you … tee hee hee.”

Just like my kids. I used to be very authoritarian until one of my children proved to me that if you don’t have their hearts, there will come a day when no amount of power trip will keep them in line. Threats and controls are meaningless. I can dangle scenes of hell, grounding, spankings with a belt, or whatever, and they write it off.

Besides, people are so quick to tell me I’m going to hell for this or that, often in ways that leave me no way out, that it all sounds like BS. God told us to think about things that are pleasant and to have no anxiety. That doesn’t sound like we are supposed to run around perpetually afraid of the cattle prod of eternal death…

BTW, thanks for the poll. It gave me a chance to vent on a pet peeve. I voted for the motivation through love, without reservation.

When I do right it’s out of love or worldly obligation or benefit. When I do wrong it’s out of selfishness. I regret it because I want to “be perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect” like Jesus says, because it means my love is imperfect.

Alan

I didn’t vote for either although I do understand they should be the big motivators!

The reality for me though is that sin just doesn’t make sense. I find that sins are sins because they just aren’t good for you and don’t make you happy - now or after death.

In a nutshell, I avoid sin because it isn’t logical or beneficial to do give in to it. It is a big plus to hope it pleases God, but on the daily grind of life it’s just easier to avoid the hassle of a sin’s complications.

because I dread the loss of heavens and the pains of hell…but [size=5]most of all[/size] because I have offended you my God who are worthy of all my love…

I think my actions are based on both reasons above.

I try to do good since I love God and I know what things make Him happy and sad. However, I also always have a fear of hell and mortal sin.

Karen

Living in the North makes some sins harder (immodest dress is out for the 9 winter months of the year, for example) and some easier (like sloth).

I wish I avoided sin more often, because it offends God and breaks my relationship with Him especially and then with all my brothers and sisters.

Hermione, you still have time to get a plenary indulgence for Divine Mercy Sunday --takes away ALL TEMPORAL PUNISHMENT for all the sins you’ve committed your whole life up to now.

Also, you can get a plenary indulgence as provided for during this Year of the Eucharist.

Here’s a site to tell you about the plenary indulgence for Divine Mercy Sunday. . .

divinemercysunday.com/plenary_indulgence.htm

and here’s one for a plenary indulgence during the year of the Eucharist. . .

ewtn.com/library/CURIA/APINDEUC.HTM

And if you join a Rosary Confraternity, you can get a plenary indulgence EVERY SINGLE DAY. . .

rosary-center.org/nconobl.htm

umm ya missed one - fear of confession:D (he he)

Thanks a bunch for the link! I didn’t know that.

:blessyou:

:rotfl: :yup:

[quote=rayne89]umm ya missed one - fear of confession:D (he he)
[/quote]

[quote=AlanFromWichita]I’m so sick of hearing people say I (or others) will go to hell if we do this, or if we do that, that I don’t even listen anymore. Nor do I worry about it. Threats of punishment is all we had before Jesus to keep people behaving like a bunch of trained rats. Human beings respond much better to higher callings to love.
[/quote]

Everyone is at a different place in life, hopefully we will all mature to the point that we only fear to offend the Lord. That takes faith and understanding and much wisdom to get to that point. Some may never make it, but fear of the Lord will lead to wisdom if you have the proper discipline. Can you tell I’ve been reading from Sirach? :smiley:

John

[quote=puzzleannie]because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because I love Thee, O God, who art all good and worthy of all my love
[/quote]

Perfect and imperfect contrition .

[quote=rayne89]umm ya missed one - fear of confession:D (he he)
[/quote]

it’s one good reason to have the same confessor every time. when tempted, one can see Christ in the priest and think, I’m going to have to tell him THAT? (again!!!) I’m not holy enough to have my contrition solely out of total love . . .

My true answer would be :Both.

As I mature in my spirituality and my faith, I strive for my reason to avoid sin being solely the love of God.

:dancing:

I sure can relate to the fear of confession. I’m a sinner and no getting around that, the pains of hell and the lost of heaven scare me straight, but to confess to the same Priest the same sin week after week scare’s me as well.:o :frowning:

I put “Love of God and neighbor” although it’s sort of a combo of the two. My fear of hell is that I’ll be permanently seperated from God whom I love.

I am a 30 year old who is working on becoming a catecumin (sp) here hopefully next SUNDAY!!! The other day my husband asked me what sins I planned on commiting before next easter seeing as I’ll get a free pass when I get baptised. I thought the whole question is silly because I am becoming a catecumin because I want to be closer to God. Since Sin always seperates us further from him it wouldn’t be productive to start sinning now that I am working on finding him. Kinda like walking backwards while looking at your goal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.