What is THE major difference between the Catholic and Anglican Churches?

Hey all,

What is the major difference between Anglicans and Catholics? I know the history between the two, when England split off from the Catholic Faith because of a divorce issue with King Henrey.  However, the only differences that I am aware of is that Anglican Reverends can be married, women can be Reverends and Anglicans do not pray to the saints..somebody please tell me what the differences are, I am 18 and trying to figure out what I beilive in, my mother is an Anglican, and I've gone to an Anglican church most of my life, however I feel that since the Catholic Church has not changed it's stance on what it beilives in since it was founded, It must be therefore closest to what Jesus intended..Can somebody please help me out? thanks. 

~Regards,
~Colin

Hey Colin,

I think you mentioned THE major difference: The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus and the Anglican Church was founded by Henry VIII. That’s certainly the first difference anyway. Probably the most jarring difference for a Catholic is the latitude of belief in the Anglican churches. It is perfectly allowable for some Anglicans to believe that in the Eucharist the bread and wine actually become the Body and Blood of Christ—while others believe that it is only a symbol. Both beliefs are acceptable for Anglicans. This is unthinkable for Catholics. Both beliefs can’t be true. In the Catholic Church we have a catechism that states what all Catholics must believe. It has to be the same for the whole Church.

There is a universal cohesiveness in doctrine, theology and morals in Catholicism that is just not present in the Anglican churches. The Catholic Church speaks with an authority that is unique to itself. We believe that it is the authority Jesus gave to St. Peter and his current successor, Pope Benedict XVI.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.