What is the meaning of Isaiah 44:5?

Isaiah 44:5 says

Some will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’;
others will call themselves by the name of Jacob;
still others will write on their hand, ‘The Lord’s,’
and will take the name Israel.

still others will write on their hand what’s this?

no Jews writes on there hand, Christians do make the sign of the cross but not on their hands,still others will write on their hand, think this may be for the future thing?

Click on my member name and go to my “profile”
page, my album under Mother Teresa has the
answer for you! Furthermore Jesus has written
our names on HIS HAND by the piercing of the
nails of His crucifixion!

The literal sense of the passage is the practice of tattooing slaves and soldiers. Tattoo’s on the hand were a sign of ownership or servitude. Slave owners would tattoo their name on their servant’s hand or forehead. Military leaders would tattoo the soldiers under their command.

***Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. *(Revelation 13:17)

vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_museum/greek_roman_tattoos.html

-Tim-

Glam,

Its a nice sentiment, but one that requires alteration of the text. The mark is on “their” hands, not “his” hands. Contextually it tells of God’s continued observance of His covenant with Israel, despite their sinfulness.

And, this plays nicely into Tim H’s analysis (which is probably on the mark), as Israel was (and we all are) slaves to sin.

Another (albeit, uneducated) interpretation that crossed my mind, is that the hands would be an appropriate place for a mark from God, to remind us, because works are accomplished with our hands, and good works are the desire of God, and one of the deciding factors in how we will spend eternity.

Peace and all good!

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 5. Israel. They shall no longer be ashamed of being called Israelites or Christians.

As always, there can be no understanding without context.
Here it is with a little more context.

Isaiah 44:1 And now hear, O Jacob, my servant, and Israel whom I have chosen.
2 Thus saith the Lord that made and formed thee, thy helper from the womb: Fear not, O my servant Jacob, and thou most righteous whom I have chosen.
3 For I will pour out waters upon the thirsty ground, and streams upon the dry land: I will pour out my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thy stock.
4 And they shall spring up among the herbs, as willows beside the running waters.
5 One shall say: I am the Lord’s, and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob, and another shall subscribe with his hand, To the Lord, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
6 Thus saith the Lord the king of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last, and besides me there is no God.
7 Who is like to me? let him call and declare: and let him set before me the order, since I appointed the ancient people: and the things to come, and that shall be hereafter, let them shew unto them.
8 Fear ye not, neither be ye troubled, from that time I have made thee to hear, and have declared: you are my witnesses. Is there a God besides me, a maker, whom I have not known?

Okay, Neofight, but I was just commenting on how
GOD has written OUR names on HIS hand, it’s
a comforting thot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.