What is the Meaning of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of Mary to you?

I remember as a kid being invited to a friend’s house for the first time and being shown the two large portraits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of Mary. I was inwardly horrified as he devoutly said, ‘Isn’t that beautiful?’ I’d never seen those images before, not in church or at my home.

Long story short, I’ve ever since had difficulty warming up to the Sacred Heart but now want to catch up for lost time. I’m on the look out for some nice Sacred Heart portraits and in the mean time will make effort to understand the significance of the Sacred Heart.

I’d be interested in what the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and of Mary mean to you and how you honour them.

With Thanks,

Rove

My dear friend Rove

The Sacred Hear is a symbol for Gods love. In a way I suppose you could say it’s a symbol of God because God is love. But it shows us the love of God in a man - Jesus. Who is both God and man.

The Immaculate Heart of Mary is the symbol for love and everything pure and good in us. It symbolises the love your Blessed Mother has for you and all Her children.

For more precise explainations below is from the pocket catholic dictionary-

SACRED HEART. The physical Heart of Christ as the principal sign and symbol of the threefold love with which he loves his eternal Father and all mankind. It is, therefore, a symbol of the divine love he shares with the Father and the Holy Spirit but that he, the Word made flesh, alone manifests through a weak and perishable body, since “in Him dwells the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9). It is, besides, the symbol of that burning love which, infused into his soul, enriches the human will of Christ and enlightens and governs its acts by the most perfect knowledge derived both from the beatific vision and that which is directly infused. And finally it is the symbol also of sensible love, since the body of Christ possesses full powers of feeling and perception, in fact more so than any other human body (Pope Pius XII, Haurietis Aquas, II, 55-57).

SACRED HEART BADGE. A cloth or plastic emblem with a picture of Christ with his heart on one side, and an image of the Heart of Jesus alone on the reverse. Appropriate invocations surround the picture and image. The badge may be worn inside one’s clothing or carried in one’s purse or wallet or, in a hospital, is often pinned to a patient’s bed. It is commonly distributed by the League of the Sacred Heart.

SACRED HEART DEVOTION. The subjective response of the faithful to the objective fact of Christ’s love, divine and human, symbolized in his physical Heart. Historically the Devotion to the Sacred Heart is an outgrowth of devotion to Christ’s sacred humanity, which the Church has more than once defended as adorable because the human nature of Christ forms one Person with the divine nature, and that Person is divine. A series of mystics over centuries contributed to the development of this devotion, notably St. Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153), St. Bonaventure (1221-74), St. Mechtilde (1210-80), St. Gertrude (1256-1302), St. Frances of Rome (1384-1440), St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622), and St. John Eudes (1601-80). But it was especially St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-90), whose revelations before the Blessed Sacrament gave the devotion its modern aspect and importance. Through her Jesuit spiritual director, Claude de la Colombiere (1641-82), the Society of Jesus made promotion of the cultus of the Sacred Heart part of its institute, notably through the Apostleship of Prayer.

SACRED HEART OF JESUS SCAPULAR. Not the familiar badge of the Sacred Heart, the scapular is white, bearing pictures of the Heart of Jesus and the Heart of Mary. Approved by Pope Leo XIII.

IMMACULATE HEART. The physical heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a sign and symbol of her compassion and sinlessness, and the object of devotion by the faithful. Devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary gained international prominence through the Fátima apparitions in 1917, and their subsequent approval by the Holy See. A widely used prayer capsulizing this devotion reads:
"Virgin of Fátima, Mother of mercy, Queen of heaven and earth, refuge of sinners, we consecrate ourselves to your Immaculate Heart. To you we consecrate our hearts, our souls, our families, and all we have.
"And in order that this consecration may be truly effective and lasting, we renew today the promises of our Baptism and Confirmation; and we undertake to live as good Christians – faithful to God, the Church and the Holy Father. We desire to pray the Rosary, partake in the Holy Eucharist, attach special importance to the first Saturday of the month and work for the conversion of sinners.
“Furthermore we promise, O most holy Virgin, that we will zealously spread devotion to you, so that through our consecration to your Immaculate Heart and through your own intercession the coming of the Kingdom of Christ in the world maybe hastened. Amen.”

IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY, SCAPULAR. Badge of the Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It is white, with a picture of the Heart of Mary surrounded by flames, surmounted by a lily, encircled with roses, and pierced by a sword.

These devotions are amonfst the very best we can have. Go for it:)

May the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary, our Blessed Mother, reveal themselves to you and form in you a heart like unto theirs:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

To add to what John said…

The devotion to Jesus and Mary include veneration of their hearts, which symbolize various things.

Sacred Heart of Jesus: The Love and Mercy of God. It is crowned with thorns to symbolize Jesus’ crowning as King of the Jews, it is topped by a cross to symbolize the Death of Jesus and that He reigns as King on the Cross and in righteous souls, it is engulfed in flames to symbolize the burning Love and Mercy of Jesus which clamours to be spent, and it is pierced to symbolize the piercing of Jesus as He hung dead on the Cross from which gushed forth the Precious Blood and Water as a Font of Mercy for poor sinners.

Agonzing Heart of Jesus: A variant of the Heart of Jesus where the focus is on Jesus’ anguish in the garden when He shed tears of blood and on His agonizing Death on the Cross. Blood usually drips from the thorns that crown the Heart to symbolize His deathly sorrow over the loss of each soul and His infinite thirst for souls.

Immaculate Heart of Mary: The love and mercy of Mary for Jesus and for mankind. It is crowned with roses to symbolize Mary’s Immaculate Conception and Perpetual Virginity, it is pierced with seven swords to symbolize the prophesy of Simeon to Mary and Mary’s share in Jesus’ sufferings on the Cross, and it is engulfed in flames to symbolize the maternal charity and compassion of Mary for her Son and for His bretheren.

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary: A variant of the Heart of Mary where the focus is on Mary’s share in Jesus’ anquish and agony and on her cooperation in the redemptive work of the Son, even unto immolation at Calvary. This title of the Marian Heart was requested by Jesus and can be found in Monfort’s book “Secret of the Rosary”.

Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary: Sometimes mistaken for “Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary”, the Hearts of Jesus and Mary are shown to be the same, save for the Heart of Jesus topped by a cross and a sword piercing Mary’s Heart. It symbolizes the inseperable unity of Jesus and Mary since the Incarnation and culminated in the Assumption and it symbolizes that Jesus’ Humanity came from Mary; His Heart from her Heart, His Blood from her blood, etc.

I kiss an image of Jesus’s Sacred Heart on my wall every day to show Him how much I love him!

-Jeanne

Thanks John and thanks Eucharisted for the detailed explanations. I appreciate that very much.

I can see from those explanations and searches I made on the Internet that the Sacred Heart has not been relegated to the ecclesiastical broom closet. It’s just that one doesn’t get to hear much about the subject anymore.

God Bless,

Rove

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.