What is the nature of an antichrist

I am often hearing that such and such or so and so or that group or this group is an antichrist. I think the phrase it is “an antichrist” is thrown around without giving much thought. So, my question, what is the spirit of antichrist? What are the teltale signs?

Ive always thought that the antichrist was going to come, basically the way Jesus will, and claim to be Jesus, but will be contradicting some of Jesus teachings in the bible, and therefore that is the main way to tell who it is… as far as i knew there is and will be one main one… but i will probably stand corrected, and it will be nice to hear more about it…

[quote=Daniel Marsh]I am often hearing that such and such or so and so or that group or this group is an antichrist. I think the phrase it is “an antichrist” is thrown around without giving much thought. So, my question, what is the spirit of antichrist? What are the teltale signs?
[/quote]

One thing that I think will be a sign will be that the antichrist will claim to be Christ, or at least to be serving God. The antichrist will not be someone who claims to worshipping Satan. There may be something wrong with such a person but we will no for certain that they are not the antichrist.

Other than that, remember that “a tree is known by its fruit”

peace

-Jim

[quote=Daniel Marsh]…
So, my question, what is the spirit of antichrist? What are the teltale signs?
[/quote]

The single most telltale sign of the spirit of antichrist is that such a spirit denies that God became man.

hurst

I believe Mohammed was the ani-Christ and his followers to this day are the biggest threat to Christianity.

Interesting interpretation thistle.

[quote=hurst]The single most telltale sign of the spirit of antichrist is that such a spirit denies that God became man.
[/quote]

Of course, to an anti-Trinitarian, the single most telltale sign of the spirit of antichrist is that such a spirit claims that God became man.

2Jo 1:17
For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

1Jo 4:3
And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Basically, these seem to say that if you deny that Christ was the messiah, you are an antichrist.

In 1Jo 2:18, the word antichrist doesn’t even have the definite article (“the”). It’s more of an idea of way of thinking than a person.

Anyway, I am not sure if there will be one main one. I know that there will be many, and that there are already many. If you go to blueletterbible.com and just search the KJV for antichrist, you will get all the ones I quoted above and one or two more.

Does anyone else have scripture to share?

How about this one?

2 Thess 2:1 And we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of our gathering together unto him: 2 That you be not easily moved from your sense, nor be terrified, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by epistle, as sent from us, as if the day of the Lord were at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means, for unless there come a revolt first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition, 4 Who opposeth, and is lifted up above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself as if he were God. 5 Remember you not, that when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6 And now you know what withholdeth, that he may be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of iniquity already worketh; only that he who now holdeth, do hold, until he be taken out of the way. 8 And then that wicked one shall be revealed whom the Lord Jesus shall kill with the spirit of his mouth; and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming, him, 9 Whose coming is according to the working of Satan, in all power, and signs, and lying wonders, 10 And in all seduction of iniquity to them that perish; because they receive not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: 11 That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity.

It seems that in addition to the many of the spirit of antichrist, there will also be a “main” one…

hurst

Yes, I had forgotten about 2 Thess. Thank you for refreshing my memory. It does seem that there will be a main “man” or “organization” that will be THE antichrist.

There is a spirit of antichrist which is from the devil.
In 2Thess. 2: 7, it talks of the mystery of iniquity which at work in the world. These are the forces of evil which turn people away from God.

2Th:2:3: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2Th:2:4: Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2Th:2:5: Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
2Th:2:6: And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
2Th:2:7: For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

In 2Thess 2:4, the antichrist is a real person, a man who shall exalt himself above God, and shall sit in the temple of God…
Sitting in the temple of God implies he will be a religious person of very high rank.
Showing himself as God will imply he will a world leader
Exalting himself will imply he will have political power over leaders of sovereign nations.

In Rev:13:17: He will cause "no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Dajjal we use the term for Anti-Christ. How can it be? Look Muhammed made it possible for us Muslims to believe in Jesus. No Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe in Jesus. We Muslims are made to believe on the authority of Holy Quran that Jesus Christ was one of the mightiest messenger of God, We are made to believe that he was born miraculously, We are made to believe that he was the Christ (Messiah), We are made to believe that he gave life to the dead by God’s permission and he heals those born blind and the lepers by God’s permission.

And the Christian Bible testify to this that our “Nabi Kareem Muhammed” was a true messenger of God. The test… it gives in the first epistle of John Chapter 4 verse 1.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. A true spirit is a true prophet and a false spirit is a false prophet.

The prophet that says Jesus is the Christ is of God says his Holy Book. This is the test. Now why don’t you apply it.

The Holy Prophet Muhammed is made to say!

Quran 3:45
And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah ].

If this is the test, here is the test. Why aren’t you reasonable, why don’t you lookup your own book and your book gives you the test. Apply to Muhammed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.