What is the one thing we need to know and understand that explains absolutely everything ? What do you think of my one statement that if understood would explain everything?

My dear friends

I’ve been asking myself why I’m so dumb. I really know very little and some people have tremendous minds by human standards. Some are geniuses. I seem to be getting dumber as I get older. I’m not sure if I’m just getting more simple?

My theory is flawed for us to consider because we don’t have an infinite mind to test it to see if it’s true. With very finite minds like mine one can only ponder is this the one thing that if understood would eplain all?

If God is infinitely perfect and does all infinitely perfectly, and we know God is Love then could we not explain and understand everything if we had a mind capable of understanding the concept of - God is Love?

If that’s right all knowledge must lead us to an understanding of this statement. Absolutely everything must lead to the ultimate conclusion that God is Love. God is infinite and eternal Living Love. So, to know this is the starting point for any degree of true wisdom. To know God is Love and understand it perfectly would answer every question we could conceive and know all. if we had an infinite mind. I think this is because God would be perfectly predictable if we had an infinite mind and knew He was Love. If I have figured out the one thing that answers everything then maybe there’s hope for me.

What do you think?

God bless you all:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

The word “love” has been so over-used and so ill-defined that the word “love” no longer has the kind of significance that we need.

My personal preference is “God is Infinite”.

i agree with the statement that God is Love explaining everything (Agape Love, all giving and all sacrificing Love, not the modern “I love your shoes” love!)

Papa Benedictus XVI’s first encyclical, “Deus Caritas Est” (God is Love) is an excellent description of this exact topic. (vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html)

ENCYCLICAL LETTER
DEUS CARITAS EST
OF THE SUPREME PONTIFF
BENEDICT XVI
TO THE BISHOPS
PRIESTS AND DEACONS
MEN AND WOMEN RELIGIOUS
AND ALL THE LAY FAITHFUL
ON CHRISTIAN LOVE

INTRODUCTION

1. “God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him” (1 Jn 4:16). These words from the First Letter of John express with remarkable clarity the heart of the Christian faith: the Christian image of God and the resulting image of mankind and its destiny. In the same verse, Saint John also offers a kind of summary of the Christian life: “We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us”.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

God is Love means God is Perfect. Love is the pivatol of perfection.

My dear friend

I understand your objection. The word love has been abused and is inadequate but all our words and languages and ourselves are inadequate when it comes to talking about God. We just have to do the best we can. God is Love is based in scripture, tradition and the magisterium. He definitely is Love. We just have to try and understand what that means. We can’t fully, but it’s the best we can do. In heaven we’ll understand what this means.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

My dear friend

Thank you for that. I’ll try and read the encyclical later today. It’ll be on the vaticans website for sure. I might read Aquinas on the simplicity of God to see if my current thoughts are valid too.

John

Very good dear friend. Agreed.:thumbsup:

God bless you:)
John

My dear friends

Since we have some very intelligent folks on this thread. Can you tell me your thoughts on this.

God is infinitely simple in that He is infinitely predictable to a being with an infinite mind.

God bless you all:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

What is the use of trying to calculate the number of branches and count the number of fruits in the orchard? Our task is simply to get our stomachs full.

My dear friend

Have you been watching Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? I loved it when it ame out.

John

My dear friend

I agree with you, except we should try to ensure everyone has a full stomach.

I would gladly sacrifice what little knowledge I have if it meant I would love God more because this is all that matters in the end.

John

Yes - couldn’t resist adding a “42” to this thread. :smiley:

But to respond in seriousness to your first post, I’d agree that it all boils down to love. The entire law revolves around loving God and loving our neighbor, and if we acknowledge that God is love, then we will begin to understand that everything He allows, even if it is painful to us, is the best thing at the moment to help us get to Heaven.

:thumbsup:

I would also add that we only need daily obedience to His Word/Church with a growing love and realize that anything we don’t understand is possibly because He doesn’t need or want us to understand that at the moment. He needs us to love and accept Him and His Creation with His Mystery and “Allness”.

My dear friend

Very good. Wise words.

John

My dear friend

Wise word too. Thank you.

Great signature. There is a lesson there that tells us that even if we have very few and small talents and can’t do much we can still become a great saint.

God bless you:thumbsup:
John

;):slight_smile:

Socrates would be most impressed.

Seriously, just be ruled by your heart rather than your head.

I think the very purpose of this life is to afford us the opportunity to learn the definition and value of Love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.