What is the opposite of Scrupulosity??

Title pretty much says it all…

We talk here quite a bit about the issue of Scrupulosity - of seeing serious sin in many places where it does not exist but what of the other extreme…The person who just doesn’t seem to be able to grasp that anything is sin - or serious sin…

Is there a “name” for this?

It strikes me that, as awful as Scruples are, there is a more dangerous condition afflicting many Christians today - and it is the opposite of being scrupulous…But I never see it named or discussed.

What say you all…

Bookcat - I’m sure you have something to offer here…http://www.laymark.com/l/c/c52.gifhttp://www.laymark.com/l/c/c43.gif

Peace
James

Laxity

A lax conscience

(the cats are funny --thanks…)

Also one could be said to have a numbed conscience in the case of one who lives in habitual mortal sin and his conscience gets more and more numbed…

(still can be called a lax conscience…but one sees here that the person has numbed it himself…)

conscientia laxa :)

"an individualistic and eclectic approach to faith and religion: far from a Catholic approach to “thinking with the Church”, each person believes he or she has a right to pick and choose, maintaining external social bonds but without an integral, interior conversion to the law of Christ.

Consequently, rather than being transformed and renewed in mind, Christians are easily tempted to conform themselves to the spirit of this age (cf. Rom 12:3).

We have seen this emerge in an acute way in the scandal given by Catholics who promote an alleged right to abortion."

–Pope Benedict XVI

National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
Wednesday, 16 April 2008

What does a person with lax conscience need??

What we have needed – to encounter and come to know and love Jesus Christ-- to undergo a *renewal of mind *…

(keep reading past the first paragraph --)

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20090628_chius-anno-paolino_en.html

The Kitties came from HERE. Lot’s of cute ones…

Peace
James

Presumption, maybe?

[quote="Kensho, post:7, topic:284044"]
Presumption, maybe?

[/quote]

Such can play into it sure..but it would be called "laxity"

Though I might add that the first one is better (I mean the cats…) the second looks too female. But I suppose the one on the left is me…and the one on the right is my wife :slight_smile:

I believe the term “lukewarm” might be appropriate for those who just don’t particularly care. And the Bible has this to say about them:

[BIBLEDRB]Apocalypse 3:15-16[/BIBLEDRB]

Something to consider…

Scrupulosity is a mental disorder. What’s the opposite of not having a mental illness?

Luna

Not the way I would frame it. Can some who are scrupulous be said to have also a mental illness or disorder …sure. But such is not simply the case per se. There can be many degrees and kinds of scruples…and causes.

Scrupulous Conscience: catholicreference.net/index.cfm?id=36342

Lax Conscience: catholicreference.net/index.cfm?id=34521

(such is yes just a cursory and not full definition (it is after all a dictionary)… but one can see that they are opposites …)

Or what is the mental disorder that goes to the other extreme…

As an example
One person may have a condition where they constantly worry about what others think, are they doing things correctly, following all the rules etc.
Another person may have the opposite disorder. They don’t care what others think. They have no empathy for others and rules just don’t apply to them.
Opposites and both are pathologies.

Peace
James

Someone without a conscience in a form we might recognize, who has a lack of empathy or remorse for their actions, would probably be called a psychopath. But I wouldn’t necessarily say scrupulosity and psychopathology are at opposite ends of a spectrum. That determination, I think, is best left to the professionals. :slight_smile:

Luna

I agree with the above…but look at what you posted originally…

Originally Posted by Luna Lovecraft
Something to consider…

Scrupulosity is a mental disorder. What’s the opposite of not having a mental illness?

Luna

What I should have said in my original response was that the above is not a valid statement.
In the above you are taking a single type of disorder and then trying equate that disorder in general…So the question is not properly posed…

More correctly one should ask the question as…
Scrupulosity is Type of mental disorder. What’s the opposite Type of mental disorder to scrupulosity?

Peace
James

[quote=JRKH;9287483What’s the opposite
[/quote]

Type of mental disorder to scrupulosity?

That’s a question better asked to someone with more knowledge of the DSM-IV (soon to be the DSM-5).

Sorry I couldn’t have been of more help. I hope you get some answers.

Luna

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.