What is the origin of the rosary?

I heard from my catholic friend that the rosary was something that Mary asks us to do, I never saw anything about it in the bible and I question it’s origins. How did the Catholic Church start using rosaries?

You can read the history here: newadvent.org/cathen/13184b.htm

As for the rosary itself, it is simply the prayer of the gospel. Through the rosary, one prays Jesus Christ. It is a meditation on the life, death and resurrection of Our Blessed Lord, and we do this through His Blessed Mother - after all, who knows the Son best if not the mother?

That article has a lot of information I wasnt looking for. Could you just tell me the origin so I don’t have to searcheck for it? Also, don’t you know that the father of Jesus knows us all better than mary? Sure Mary knew him. But heavenly father is all-knowing.

Well, to sum up the history - it developed as a way for lay persons to pray like the monks did in ancient times - the monks would pray all 150 psalms. However, most people couldn’t read, so they developed a method of prayer where they said 150 Our Fathers. The rosary in its present form really became widespread in the 12th and 13th century, via several people - Blessed Alan de la Roche, St. Dominic, and others. You can read more in St. Louis de Montfort’s excellent book, the Secret of the Rosary, and you can do a google search for ‘History of the Rosary,’ several good articles come up. There is a certain value in looking for the answers as opposed to being told them - something may strike you via some article or book that wouldn’t coming from someone else.

And sure God knows all - He’s God. But, God chose Mary to come into this world - He could have done it anyway He pleased, but He chose to do it the way He did, so why don’t we do the same? Why don;t we go to Jesus through Mary? If She’s good enough for Jesus, she’s good enough for you and I.

Thanks! You are nice. :slight_smile:

CameronEmery:
As LDS, you believe that there is in heaven a Heavenly Mother who is truly your mother, correct? As Catholics, we believe that God has given us Mary as our spiritual mother. She is not our literal mother, but just as God brought Jesus into the world through her, so, through her intercession, God continues to form each of us into the image of her son Jesus, and thus we too become her spiritual sons and daughters. Yes, God alone is all-powerful and all-knowing, but Mary, as our heavenly Mother, has been given a special role in our spiritual lives by God’s design.

The roots go all the way back to the Old Testament Hebrews. It started with people reciting the psalms, they started using stones to count the 50 psalms, that’s why there are 50 beads. Eventually this changed to include events in the life of Christ (called the mysteries of he Rosary) and the prayers changed to ones taken from New Testament Scripture.

Here are the mysteries:
The Annunciation of the Lord to Mary
The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth
The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ
The Presentation of our Lord
Finding Jesus in the Temple at age 12
The Agony of Jesus in the Garden
The Scourging at the Pillar
Jesus is Crowned with Thorns
Jesus Carried the Cross
The Crucifixion of our Lord
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
The Ascension of Jesus to Heaven
The Descent of the Holy Ghost
The Assumption
The Baptism in the Jordan
The Wedding at Cana
The Proclamation of the Kingdom
The Transfiguration
The Institution of the Eucharist

I hope this very abbreviated description helps.

I believe you mean 150 Hail Marys. Yes? :slight_smile:

The Our Fathers were added when the 150 Hail Marys were broken down into decades with the mysteries of the Gospel and other prayers added later, as the rosary developed into its present form.

CameronEmery, a couple of things you should know about the Hail Mary prayer: Firstly, it is scriptural. The first part is taken directly from St. Luke’s Gospel, chapter one. The second part, the invocation for Mary’s intercession, is also scriptural because Jesus taught that the dead are not dead but alive to God, and St. Paul wrote that all who are in heaven are a “great cloud of witnesses” to our lives here on earth, etc. This is part of the Communion of Saints of which there are three categories: The Church Triumphant–those in heaven, the Church Suffering–those in purgatory, and the Church Militant–the faithful on earth who are still bound by the limits of this earthly life.

In order to understand the Bible correctly we need to see it as the witness to Christ and the Church. It is not a proof text for doctrine/dogma/disciplines/devotions (the rosary being in the last category). Indeed, the NT was preceded by the founding of Christ’s Church and was written by the Apostles and Saints who had close association with them, such as Luke and Mark. Christ gave authority to the Apostles not to a book, no matter how holy, who passed their authority on to others by the laying on of hands. Therefore Catholics are not “people of the book” but rather we are people of Christ, the Apostles, and Sacred Tradition (of which the Bible is a part).

I hope that helps you. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.