What is the origin of the term "Roman" Catholic?

Is it wrong for a Catholic to say that he is a Roman Catholic instead of just Catholic. Did the terms Roman Catholic and Roman Catholicism originate with Protestants who drew similarities between the Catholic Church and the ancient Roman religion. I call myself a Roman Catholic and I say that the division of Christianity that I am committed to in good conscience is Roman Catholicism in order to be orthodox in my Christianity. And I have no problem saying I am a Roman Catholic because our Lord founded our religion in the Roman Empire and the two most glorious apostles Peter, and Paul whom He entrusted his ministry were martyred in Rome. Am I wrong to say that the division of Christianity that I am committed to is Roman Catholicism?

The following links should help answer your question about the term “Roman Catholic.” If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Catholic or Roman Catholic
When did the term “Roman Catholic Church” come into being?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.