What is the origins of Hinduism?

As much I know Hinduism is founded on self disciplining. İs there anything beyond of that? I mean do Hindus believe in soul or in a creator? Or do they explain every thing with energy or something else in nature? Do they believe life to come? I wonder that for a long time. I cannot take satisfying knowledges from the Internet.

Hinduism has many different schools of thought as well as sects - not all of them make self discipline the main goal of life (perhaps you mean yoga?) But all Hindus believe in a soul, a creator God as well as life after death.

I guess what makes Hinduism different from Abrahamic religions, is the belief and worship of multiple Gods, the belief in reincarnation (that each person has many lives as a human) and the belief in karma (that your current circumstance/situation/fate is a result of your past actions in this life or previous lives).

Here is a comparison of Islam with Hinduism if you care to read at www.hinduismexposed.org. You can read abut the different Hindu gods at www.thehindugods.com

To me the big deal breaker of Hinduism is pantheism, which is at the core of its theology.
Instinctively I prefer the idea of the individual endowed with free will in fellowship with his Creator which is common to the three Abrahamic religions.

I also see the rest (polytheism, karma, and the implied caste system that ruins society) problematic but pantheism is what pushed me away when I was considering Hinduism.

Hinduism is panentheistic (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism) rather than pantheistic (Nature and God are the same) - this may seem like a minor difference, but it is not.

BTW Hindus do believe in individual free will and a Creator God (among others)

The truth is not a matter of preferences. Reality is what it is, regardless of your preferences.

I do think that Panentheism vs Pantheism is a very minor point since there are people who describe the basic theology of Hinduism as Pantheistic en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_views_on_Pantheism .

The point is that I do not believe with the notion of the individual not being an entity onto itself. The Abrahamic view is “created in His image” as a different entity, not as “part of a whole”.

I agree that that the truth if not a matter of preferences. What I am saying is that the “Hindu view” of reality is false and I am betting my life (both this one and the one after death) on that belief :).

What is the nature of all of the Hindu gods in relation to Brahman? As I understand it (and perhaps grossly generalizing here) Brahman is somewhat akin to the God the Father of Christian (though perhaps more impersonal and abstract). The pantheon of gods in Hinduism are then individual manifestations of particular attributes of Brahman? Is that right? So while Hinduism is polytheistic in a certain sense, there is a unity, the collective character of all of the gods = Brahman. Is that right?

That is quite correct - all Gods are manifestations of Brahman, but Hindus only worship the many personal gods, Brahman being impersonal cannot be worshipped. Also, not only the gods, but all creatures including humans are manifestations of Brahman.

Good luck! We will soon know the truth when the Christ returns.

I read and I took what I think. Hinduism is not a fallacious religion as I thought. Allah is Rahman and Allah sent prophets to all nations. I can see that the origins of Hinduism is principles of messengers from Allah. Ofcourse there are some differences but I can reconcile that in that way:

Very long time passed since the revelation came so the revelations had changed and transformed in to many various aspects.

The Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism are distinct manifestations of God’s attributes. God is one but God has countless aspects in manifestations.

Even in same religion people may have different thoughts about God so it is very usual that different religions to have different aspects about God.

Quran is the latest revelation which have never changed. So we can take the most true knowledge about God from Quran.

I can understand multiple Gods but the reincarnation and karma is a bit complex. Is reincarnation posssible in your opinion?

If our soul would alternate bodies and each one has many lives then we would remember some parts of previous! Everyone come to earth with a different personality in moral and as material. I mean a soul does not lose it’s attributes so easily. And do those permutations happen by chances or by Brahman(or what is recognised as divine)?

I think that Karma emerged from that: Every human will have a after life as a result of the life on the world. The actions of this life will establish/define state of life to come. But with belief in Karma it is recognised that the after life will be the another life on the world.

As much I know the initials of Hinduism is so old. The actual structure of revelation might be changed. What do you think?

As someone else said, anything is possible with God. Reincarnation is not only possible, it is universal - this is God’s way of perfecting an imperfect human by making him take multiple lives and letting him grow and develop with each step.

Remembering all lives for the human brain would be too burdensome, but the soul remembers all lives and all lessons learned. There are many levels of Gods. I doubt if the fate of an individual human is managed by anyone higher than the God of the earth (the next level would be the solar God), so doubtful if the universal God like Brahman would be involved in the details of your life(although he does care what happens to you).

After death, you don’t immediately reincarnate. You spend some time in purgatory and heaven between lives before being reborn ( a sort of rest period). Karma determines what kind of life you will have next. You can read www.afterdeath.info if you are interested.

God Afternoon Hasan: With regard to the possibility if reincarnation, Dr. Ian Stevenson at the University of Virginia did some very interesting studies on that for 25 years. If you are interested in the subject, you may want to review his work. I don’t have a fixed opinion on reincarnation one way or the other, but I am perplexed by some of Stevenson’s findings regarding birthmarks. It seems that people who have past life recollections (usually children) often have birthmarks that look like scars. When the researchers would look up the lives of the people these children would insist they had been, it was often found that the people had died violent deaths and the birthmarks on the children with the recollections correlated to the exact point of fatal injury on the person whose life the children recalled. These children demonstrated vivid recollection of these past lives, to include names of friends, family members and details only the deceased could have known. Very interesting work. Of course it all could have something to do wit the transpersonal nature of consciousness as well, but the whole subject is rather interesting. Of course if any of this is true, the bottom line is that the only life you can do anything with is the one you’re in at the moment.

Karma is vey simple. It’s just cause and effect, basically that we reap what we sow. And if it happens that we have more than one lifetime or many lifetimes it would stand to reason that the causal effects of our actions would convey from one lifetime to another, because the whole thing would be a continuum. Where Karma gets complicated is in relation to other related Hindu ideas that work with Karma, such as Sanskara and Gunas. Sanskara are left over proclivities or acquired attributes that it are thought by Hindus to be acquired over time. The Gunas are the various natures of these Sanskara, and there are three Gunas. They are Sattvas, Rajas and Tamas. People with Rajasic tendencies are over achievers and are somewhat agitated in disposition (overactive). Tamasic people are lazy and given to evil tendencies. The object is to become Saatvic, which is a balanced state of being. There is even a saatvic diet that is thought to promote more saatvic states of being. You can look up the details if you like, but a saatvic diet consists of only raw fruits and raw vegetables, nuts, berries and sometimes yogurt, and honey as a sweetener. No meat of any kind whatsoever. Although I am Catholic, I have been on a saatvic diet for about ten years. While I can’t say whether such things have any spiritual benefit, I can say that I don’t appear to have aged as much as my friends have and I don’t have the health issues they have. This much I can attest to. I also seldom have to buy clothes because my size never changes.

All the best,
Gary

We describe the facts in different terms. There are 7 planes and the lowest is the universe(world). All these planes are created by Allah.

Human has a soul. That soul can exist without worldly body. And also that soul can see, hear etc without body. The body is a house for soul on the world. The soul has a structure which is not bound on time, space etc physical laws.

When we sleep the soul can get out/expand of the body and can travel through planes. Indeed all these planes are in each other but we cannot recognise them easily. High spiritual human can notice these. Millions of Avliyas(Some kind of Sufis in a high spiritual degree) travel in that planes by soul. These planes sometimes are shapeless so those cannot be defined with words.

The soul of death go in plane of Barzah. Those souls can interact with worldly souls but worldly souls cannot recognise that easily(some can during sleep).

Yes all these are a bit same with Hinduism. But as we know from Quran a soul cannot come back to world in any way. There are no any proof and signs for that. Every soul come to world as untrained and learn everything from scratch. And nobody remember anything. Everbody is exactly a different people but no to seem to be continuation of a previuos personality.

Hindu could recognise the travel of soul. A soul of alive human can travel through planes while he is on the world provided that if he can reach a high spiritual degree. That degree can be gained by self discipline in faith and life. So Hindu think that travel is a cycle of souls in many different bodies but that does not seem to be possible. Do you hear a soul which go and come back? I hear very much but that happens before death. After death nobody can come back. Even if soul leave the body it will never want to come back because the conditions of this world are so heavy(hard). But some will wish to come back and do good deeds but that will not be possible.

I realize that Muslims (as well as Christians) believe that humans do not reincarnate or that they can came back to earth in a new body after death. However, this misunderstanding will be cleared up soon when the Christ or the Mahdi return - they are both scheduled to come back soon. The problem is of course that people who are set in their beliefs will have difficulty accepting these new revelations - we have to wait and see how it turns out (but we don’t have long to wait).

Hinduism is not a new revelation perhaps it is oldest religion on the world. So that belief in reincarnation is not emerged from a new revelation. It is a diversified form of revelation.

Jesus will come to world but that is not reincarnation. Yet Jesus was ascended with His body. Mahdi is not a human who was exist before and died and will come back in the future. Mahdi will be a human who will come to world for first and once time.

I disagree with your premise:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

I don’t think any absolutes can be made with Hinduism, since Hinduism is an very vague term for a very broad region and all the religions that encompass them. It’s probably easier to say what is not Hinduism, instead of what is Hinduism.

Correct. Hinduism isn’t even a religion really. It was a term that the British applied to the many beliefs of the people living on the subcontinent that is now called India. Although most Indians understand the term and acknowledge it’s use.

All the best,
Gary

Hinduism is one of our most ancient religions still being practised… going back to the Vedas. You can find many aspects of religion in Hinduism and wide variety of practices and beliefs.

One book I’d recommend is entitled The Vedic Experience or Mantramanjari: An Anthology of the Vedas for Modern Man and Contemporary Celebration by Raimundo Panikkar he was a Roman Catholic priest and professor of religious studies at UC SAnta Barbara.

There are also some connections between the language of the Vedas and language of the Zoroastrians…:thumbsup:

Verry interesting, but I don’t know of any Hindu who claims to be an atheist or any atheist who claims to be a Hindu (he may have been born one). Do you know any?

There are also claims that Buddhism is just a heteredox form of Hinduism (as is apparently Jainism).

When I speak of Hinduism, I am speaking of 90% of those who say they are Hindus and they believe in a soul and a creator God and life after death. Of course, if you are saying 90% of Hindus dont believe in a soul or any God or life after death, that is even more interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.