What is the Orthodox Canon? (i.e. What are the books of the Orthodox Bible?) PART II

Hi all,

This is part two of this thread. As it is very old, but my answer, so i believe, is quite interesting to know, i decided to start a thread PART II.

First of all I have a list of ALL apocryphal/deuterocanonical books of the old testament on this website.

Secondly the list of all apocryphal/deuterocanonical books of the Septuagint:

**Tobit
Judith
Additions to Esther
The Wisdom of Solomon
Sirach
Baruch
The Letter of Jeremiah
Additions to Daniel:
(Azariah and the three Jews
Susanna
Bel and the Dragon)
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
1 Esdras (=3 Ezra)
The Prayer of Manasseh
Psalm 151
3 Maccabees

4 Maccabees (only as appendix in some Russian Orthodox Bibles! [Mine for instance doesn’t have it!!]**

**The Book of Odes (only fragmentary)
The psalms of Solomon **
These books are most interesting, because I didn’t know that they exist until I head a look in the contents of the book “The Septuagint in German” by Martin Karrer and Wolfgang Kraus (by the way the FIRST German translation of the Septuagint ever!). Also interesting is that they can’t be found in any Christian Bible, no mather whether Confession (cf. summascriptura.com).

2 Esdras (= chs 1 and 2 = 5 Ezra; chs 3-15 = 4 Ezra (=the ezra apocalypse); chs. 15 and 16 = 6 Ezra) BUT: This book is only as an *appendix in the Biblia Sacra Vulgata!!*

All books marked **RED ** are deuterocanonical books in the Russian Orthodox Church. (The canon was never really declared in the Orthodox Church so it can differ from Orthodox Church to Orthodox Church!)

I have just counted the books that are deuterocanonical/apocryphal and out of the septuagint, they are 15 books, to Hesychios. The Additions to the book Daniel have to be counted as ONE book.

Greetings form Middle Europe, Austria,
Esdra

The Jewish People and their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.