What is the point in praying when in mortal sin?

If you pray for humility, charity, chastity etc. you cannot receive these graces as you are in mortal sin so there would be no point in praying for these? So can you really only pray for mercy and forgiveness when in mortal sin?

Thanks.

1 Like

No, you should pray, by first asking for forgiveness.

God’s gives His grace according to His own desires, not ours.

Jim

I never knew one couldn’t, or shouldn’t, and have had lots of prayers answered while in mortal sin.

How does this relate to the idea of prayers in mortal sin not being efficacious? (I mean beyond God helping us to get out of the sin and repent).

However people in mortal sin can and do receive actual graces.

You can and ought to pray at any time, whether in a state of grace, or not.

God, Whose existence is outside our space-time continuum, and therefore Who is not bound to our timeline, is already experiencing the moment of your reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation with the same reality with which He is experiencing the moment of your sin. So go ahead and pray for anything for which you feel the need to pray.

(And lest anyone think I’m advocating for reception of other sacraments [specifically, the Eucharist] before going to Confession, I’m not. We are still operating in time. Go to Confession first.)

God always hears prayers for conversion and forgiveness. Prayers for humility & chastity are a type of prayer for conversion.

Listen to Fr. Mike on this very subject:
youtube.com/watch?v=G6KDiOh_Pn8&list=PLeXS0cAkuTPpJ6j3eH59WudJhJ4q1tpwH&index=77

I really like this guy

1 Like

Nobody can pray anything, at any time or in any state of grace, unless the Holy Spirit is urging him to pray. He prays in us; we join in.

And presuuuuuuumably, the Holy Spirit isn’t just hanging around doing something useless or counterproductive.

So even if you don’t know why you’re bothering while in a state of mortal sin, I think you can trust that it’s a good idea to obey that urge from the Holy Spirit, and pray as well as you can.

But also, repent and go to Confession fast. When your soul is dead from sin, you need to get zapped back to life, and not just be wandering around as a spiritual zombie.

To get OUT of mortal sin, of course!

will hold judgement till i listen to more but good first impression

thanks

He is also to be found on the ChurchPOP website.

Hi!

Why not avail one’s self of the Sacrament of Confession?

Reconciliation with God allows one the Grace to Pray without the worry of sin weighing one down.

Maran atha!

Angel

Read about St. Geneisus. catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=185

Another known quip…

“There but by the Grace of God go I”

Pray Pray Pray anyway. Do not despair. There is only One who can help us.

John 6:68 67So Jesus asked the Twelve, “Do you want to leave too?” 68Simon Peter replied,** “Lord, to whom would we go? **You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that You are the Holy One of God.”…

No. There is nothing out of bound in prayers regardless of in what situation you are in. Why do you think you shouldn’t?

Being in mortal sin does not mean you cannot pray for any of these. There are many aspects and areas of our lives that we can always ask God to help us.

Nelka you can still be humble, practice chastity and be charitable when you sinned. Just keep praying as per normal and go to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconcilliation.

It’s no biggie. :pray::dove::rainbow:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.