What is the proof that Jesus started the Catholic Church

?:shrug:

It is a historical fact.
If Jesus did not start it, who did?

Can you give me the proof that Jesus started a Catholic Church?

What would satisfy you as proof? If history does not mean anything to you, what would?

Can you provide some actual non-Catholic evidence to support the claim that Jesus started a Catholic Church?

I never said that history meant nothing to me. Not sure why you have implied that.

What Church did he start then?

Pax
Linus2nd

Are you going to avoid the question or show actual historical proof that Jesus intended to start a Catholic Church?

This really isn’t that hard.

Not really Catholic, are you?

I didn’t realize that posting a question on here would simply result in questions asked of me instead of answers given.

:cool:

I think that the problem here is we’re not really sure what you’re looking for. As the Scriptures attest, Jesus intended to start a Church. Accordingly, we see that the Scriptures tell us that the Church came to be, and was in existence in a variety of locations. Looking forward in time, we see that the Church existed in the first few centuries A.D.

What is it, exactly, that you are disputing? What is it that you’re asking for us to demonstrate? The fact that a Church existed seems self-evident. What is it that you are contending?

1. Jesus existed.
  2. People started to follow him.
  3. That evolved into organized Christianity.
  4. Catholicism is the continuation of that; the original Christian church.

Well that leaves out the Bible because the Catholic Church gave us the Bible.

St. Ignatius of Antioch (who studied under John the Apostle) letters contain the earliest known time that the Church was referred to as Catholic. About 107 AD.

catholic.com/quickquestions/what-were-christians-called-before-st-ignatius-of-antioch-referred-to-them-as-catholi

I guess that means you actually know the answer then??

I’m looking for actual historical evidence outside of the Bible/inside the Bible that Jesus actually started a Catholic Church as we know it today.

Can you point me to the scripture that shows that Jesus intended to start a church and where it says he intended it to be the Catholic Church?

I do not doubt that A church existed. But why do people think that the Catholic Church has the monopoly on Jesus? Where is the proof of such a claim?

I don’t know the answer, hence the question.

When you say the Catholic Church gave us the Bible, can you explain further how?

Since the word ‘catholic’ means, universal…Jesus did send the apostles out to preach to the whole world so it’s a universal or catholic church. :doh2:

Jesus said, “Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” ,Therefore it’s universal.

The Catholic Church doesn’t claim to have the monopoly on Jesus. The power to turn bread & wine into the Body & Blood of Christ was passed on to the apostles & their successors by Jesus.

In today’s world if you want to find out where Congo is you GOOGLE it and instant information is given, if you want to know how long it takes for an elephant to be born, GOOGLE it and in no time you can find out the answer. If you want to know the history of the Church, you can also GOOGLE it but you’re going to have to read a whole lot more to get the true facts.

811 "This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic."256 These four characteristics, inseparably linked with each other,257 indicate essential features of the Church and her mission. The Church does not possess them of herself; it is Christ who, through the Holy Spirit, makes his Church one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, and it is he who calls her to realize each of these qualities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.