What is the Purpose of Baptism?

Baptism is the act of a believing Christian who wants to publicly confess their personal commitment to Jesus Christ and to identify with His death, burial and resurrection. It is the symbolic burial of the “old person” (one’s sinful past) and the rising again to new life in Christ. The act of Baptism can be defined as an outward expression of an inward decision.Why do we immerse?
Our English word “baptism” is translated from the Greek word “baptizo.” It literally means, “to dip, immerse or plunge.”
Baptism illustrates Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection.
Christ died for our sins … He was buried … and He rose20again.
1 Cor. 15: 3-4
Baptism also serves as a “picture” of new life as a Christian.
By our baptism then, we are buried with Him and share His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead… so also we may live a new life.
Romans 6:4
Baptism does not make you a Christian. It is a demonstration that you already believe. It is important to understand that Baptism alone does not “save" you. You are “saved” by your faith in Jesus alone.
Why do we get baptized?
We are baptized because we seek to follow the example set by Christ and because Christ commanded it.
Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.
Mark 1: 9
Jesus said, Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of

[quote=“BILL PICK] , post:1, topic:151264”]
Baptism is the act of a believing Christian who wants to publicly confess their personal commitment to Jesus Christ and to identify with His death, burial and resurrection. It is the symbolic burial of the “old person” (one’s sinful past) and the rising again to new life in Christ. The act of Baptism can be defined as an outward expression of an inward decision.Why do we immerse?

[/quote]

God must really love me cause I seem to regullarly find these great post when I’m too pooped to post:)

First Baptism is absolutely necessary for ones salvation. (Jn. 3: 5)

Our English word “baptism” is translated from the Greek word “baptizo.” It literally means, “to dip, immerse or plunge.”

Baptism illustrates Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection.
Christ died for our sins … He was buried … and He rose again.
1 Cor. 15: 3-4

How Gloriously true. But why did Jesus, why is God do this?

That we could be, would be and are Redeemed. Which in to say, the POSSIBILITY of access to Heaven was once again available to us. It does not assure one of SALVATION!

Baptism also serves as a “picture” of new life as a Christian.
By our baptism then, we are buried with Him and share His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead… so also we may live a new life.
Romans 6:4

That new life is explained in Rom.6: 14-16 "14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16** Do you not know that if you yield yourselves to any one as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?**

Baptism does not make you a Christian. It is a demonstration that you already believe. It is important to understand that Baptism alone does not “save" you. You are “saved” by your faith in Jesus alone.

One of the Greatest (and most necessary aspects of Chrsitian Baptism) is becomming a part of a Chrsitian Community. We do not live on Islands, we need each other!

Acts 2: "38 And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him.” 40 And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” 41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls. 42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. "

Why do we get baptized?

We get Baptized because:(in addition to the above.)

Christ demands it as a condition of Salvation (Jn.3:5)

Because we are entered into the Community of Gods new Chosen People

Because it opens us up to God’s grace

**and If Catholic, **it allows one to Participate in select Sacraments, most especially the Gift of God, By God, for God; the Gift of Jesus Himself in Catholic Holy Communion, NOT merely a sign or symbol, **BUT Jesus Himself. **And also the Sacrament of Known forgiveness. See Jn. 20-23, Mt.16:19, Rom.10: 9-10. Do yourself and favor and look themup.

Love and prayers,

No its not. Baptism is not symbolic of anything. Baptism is actually being born again in the new like of Christ.

The act of Baptism can be defined as an outward expression of an inward decision.

Wrong again. Baptism has nothing to do with a decision. You can actually be baptized and be “born again”, and then be taught in the faith.

Why do we immerse?

We dont always immerse. To be Baptized validly, you can be sprinkled. As long as the Baptism is done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, you can have water poured on you.

Baptism does not make you a Christian.

Oh yes it does.

. It is important to understand that Baptism alone does not “save" you. You are “saved” by your faith in Jesus alone.

Nope you are wrong again. You are saved and born again of the water and the Spirit.

Why do we get baptized?

Because Jesus commanded us to be.

I suggest you take a look at the Catechism to learn about the Catholic faith. Your tag says that you are a Catholic. I dont think so.

First.

What is Baptism?–Answer.

Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God’s command and connected with God’s Word.

Which is that word of God?–Answer.

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Matthew: Go ye into all the world and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Secondly.

What does Baptism give or profit?–Answer.

It works forgiveness of sins, delivers from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare.

Which are such words and promises of God? Answer.

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Mark: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Thirdly.

How can water do such great things?–Answer.

It is not the water indeed that does them, but the word of God which is in and with the water, and faith, which trusts such word of God in the water. For without the word of God the water is simple water and no baptism. But with the word of God it is a baptism, that is, a gracious water of life and a washing of regeneration in the Holy Ghost, as St. Paul says, Titus, chapter three: By the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that, being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.

Fourthly.
What does such baptizing with water signify?–Answer.

It signifies that the old Adam in us should, by daily contrition and repentance, be drowned and die with all sins and evil lusts, and, again, a new man daily come forth and arise; who shall live before God in righteousness and purity forever.

Where is this written?–Answer.

St. Paul says Romans, chapter 6: We are buried with Christ by Baptism into death, that, like as He was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Luther’s Small Catechism

Jon

This very verse contridicts your therory. An infant is unable to be born of the Spirit until they are able to repent

ABSOLUTELY NOT.
That first quote is absolutely right and baptism without a doubt does NOT save you. That is SO wrong. Doing a traditional act does not make you a Christian. If you truly believe that you are no different than the Parasies. They claimed to KNOW Christ and they missed his very presence . I can tell you stories of individuals (myself included) that were baptized as infants and know that they were not a Christians until they confessed, repented from my sin and determined to live my life as well pleasing to the Lord (IICorinthians 5:9-11)

ABSOLUTELY NOT.
That first quote is absolutely right and baptism without a doubt does NOT save you. That is SO wrong. Doing a traditional act does not make you a Christian. If you truly believe that you are no different than the Parasies. They claimed to KNOW Christ and they missed his very presence . I can tell you stories of individuals (myself included) that were baptized as infants and know that they were not a Christians until they confessed, repented from my sin and determined to live my life as well pleasing to the Lord (IICorinthians 5:9-11)

=BILL PICK;5082362]ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Dear Brother Bill,

Baptism depending on when it is received relative to ones demise, can and certainly does on it’s own merits have the sacrifical Power to save.

If received as an adult, you are correct that one must express and understanding of Christ, His Redeemptive act, and have a desire to enter into His Community of Believers.

The act of Baptism properly administered and properly received, eliminate ALL SIN, and ALL the effects of sin. So if one were to be properly Baptized and itmediately die, that person would go girectly to Heaven!

Adult Baptism in its common form in the Catholic Church, does as you suggest, recommend the Sacrament od Confession Before being Baptized. However this is not a mandate, it is a Better Practice.

If an adult is cognizant of the purpose of Baptism, the efftects of Baptism (remission of sins) and desires to have an ungoing religious and personal relationship with Christ. Confession is not absolutely nesessary, but HIGHLY recommended!

Friend, Baptism factually “made you a Chrsitian” albiet a non-practicing one. Indeed the fullness of the Sacrament is only made manifest when one who “talks the talk, actually walks the walk”!

A question for you friend. Did you Confess your sins in the maneer Jesus specifies?

Please read Mt.16:19. Jon 20:23, Rom.10:9… The Words of Jesus not mine!

Love and prayers,

I admire your passion!:smiley:

Show me where Baptism does not save you. You cant just make this stuff up. Where do you get your authority to interpret the Bible?

Hey guys,
Your catechism has a pretty lengthy description of your Church’s teachings on baptism, which is pretty good and might help. Including this:

1257 The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation.60 He also commands his disciples to proclaim the Gospel to all nations and to baptize them.61 Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament.62 The Church does not know of any means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude; this is why she takes care not to neglect the mission she has received from the Lord to see that all who can be baptized are “reborn of water and the Spirit.” God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments.

Ok, the Lutheran will now butt out. :smiley:
Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.