What is the purpose of God's existence?

Greetings all,

I got into debate with some atheists about the purpose and meaning of life and the following question arose:

“If God provides the meaning to our life, what provides the meaning to God’s life?”

This is a big one! Too big for me. Any thoughts?

God bless,
Noel.

God is self-sufficient. He needs nothing, including meaning, to be provided for Him from any source outside Himself.

The real answer is we cannot comprehend if such an answer exists. This is problematic for the atheist because he is the center of his universe, thus until he understands he refuses to accept existence. His logic is of course, flawed as when the atheist is born he understands little but would he argue that little existed at his birth?

Powerfully succinct. Even an atheist should be able to grasp this.:thumbsup:

Hi nkelly,

God is the fullness of being. He does not “have” anything. He IS everything good. He does not have intelligence; he is intelligence. He does not have love; he is love. We claim intelligence or love because we have something that reminds us of what God is. In short God possesses to an infinite degree any quality that we might think of.

Being everything that is good, God needs nothing outside Himself. He gives meaning to Himself.

Verbum

God needs no meaning because he is not a created thing. It is created things which are created for a purpose. We are created for a purpose. Thus it can correctly be said of us that we we have a meaning in our lives, which is to fulfill the purpose for which we were created.

God does not need meaning. He is the source of meaning.

Since God is eternal this question doesn’t have any meaning. For something to have purpose it has to be created. God is uncreated, God IS. :slight_smile:

In Christ!
~G

God IS Life. Without God, ‘you’ wouldn’t even exist (to say the least).

Big question there, buddy. God is all sufficient. He doesn’t need a thing yet I think He created to us because He knew what a joy life would be to us. Just my two cents.

Nothing - all meaning in life is relative to God; God’s existence is perfect and requires nothing in relation to Himself to give it meaning.

God is the fullness of existance all at once and thus is necessary existance. Everything is defined and exists relative to God Himself and thus the concept of meaning only makes sense in it’s relation to God. God is Truth and the source of meaning for us not Him.

The word “existence” doesn’t even have any meaning without God.

To speak of “the purpose” of God’s existence implies a teleology, but God has not personal teleology. “Purpose” is the end toward which someone is moving. That would imply change, and God does not change.

Philosophically, God’s nature is idential with his existence. He is all actuality with no potentiality. God’s essence is “to be.” He gave his name to Moses as “I AM Who AM.”

If I had to state God’s purpose for existence, I would presume that it is “to love.”, but that answer stills falls short of the fact that God simply IS. The potter does not need a purpose, yet he chooses to create clay earthen vessels for a purpose.

As God replied to Moses when asked whom sent him to Pharoah, he said “I AM.” That pretty much sums it.

CSJ

If we are talking about ‘why’ God exists, we have some interesting questions. Some theologians and philosophers who believed God was a Being or Being itself (or unconditioned Being), such as Aristotle, Plotinus, Aquinas, Augustine, Al-Ghazzali, Descartes, Duns Scotus, Spinoza, Hegel, Anselm, Nicholas of Cusa, and others, believed that God or the Highest Principle exists by necessity (that is, God’s Being is perfect by definition of what he is or by the nature of what he is) and so he needs no higher principle, cause, or reason to explain why he exists, or how he exists.

Neo-Platonic thinkers and mystics however, particularly those like Eriugena and Eckhart, saw more dynamicism in the divine nature rather than static perfection. While God’s essence for these thinkers is still a ‘nature’, it is beyond essence, substance or being, and therefore Being is in some way a creation of God. There is also a strange dialectic between God and what is created, in the sense that God’s nature or essence creates but also created things ‘flow’ by a sort of necessity from this essence. These thinkers argued God is in all things and all things are in God, and tried to use this dialectic to explain how a changeless, infinite source can make a changing universe (this dialectic occurs in Plotinus, Pseudo-Dionysius, Eriugena, Eckhart, and Nicholas of Cusa, and more recently in Hegel, Schelling, and Whitehead’s process theology).

I think a more interesting and fruitful question is asking why does an Absolute or First Principle or God exist, which most of the world’s religions seem to agree on, is rather how this Absolute or God relates to the world and why does He/it make the world, and how we are connected to this First Principle, and if not, how we can have union or communion with it.

Thanks for all the great replies folks! It’s certainly made things a lot clearer for me.

God bless,
Noel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.