What is the purpose of my blindness?

Hello, I have retinitis pigmentosa. I have slowly been losing my vision. With my lose of physical vision I have been having struggles with my spiritual vision. I see such negative things regarding blindness in the bible such as Exodus 4:11:
The LORD said to [Moses], 'Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD?'
and I question everything I believe in.
What I would like to know, is your thoughts on why god makes people blind? Is he making me go blind because I have sinned? What is his purpose? What is my purpose?

Dear friend,

God has allowed you to be blind that you might love Him more than you would have if you retained your sight. Your loss of vision is a cross that He allows you to bear that you might love Him back for the love He has shown you as the result of the cross He bore for you. This is true of all the crosses He gives us. They are real treasures, even though they may not feel like treasures.

The blindness that cannot help us is the blindness of the heart. In John 9: 13 and following, Jesus heals a blind man on the sabbath and the Pharisees object. They then interrogate the man’s parents and then the man himself. They eventually drive him away. But Jesus finds him and asks him: “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” He responds: “Sir, tell me who he is so that I may believe in him.: Jesus says, “ You are looking at him; he is speaking to you.” The man responds, “Lord. I believe,” and worships Him. Jesus then says that he has come into the world that those without sight might see and those with sight might turn blind. The Pharisee hear this and respond, “We are not blind, surely?” Jesus replies, “Blind? If you were, you would not be guilty; but since you say, “We see,” your guilt remains.”

The Pharisees were blind of heart. Dear friend, even with your loss of sight, you are able to see with your faith. This is the kind of sight that really matters and the Lord has gifted you with it. He obviously loves you very much.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.