What is the Purpose Of My Life

I am 35 and I am threatened to lose my job simply because my productivity is bad. Anyone with experience working in a call center knows what I am talking about. Most people my age have college degrees, have good jobs, have happy marriages. Even the illegal immigrants fare better than me. I don’t know why I am here. I feel like I am in the way, a burden to society. I can’t keep a job for a long time. Employers want someone with experience and who have a long time at a job where they get good ratings. I am too slow and I get distracted easily. I am applying for ssi and also vocational rehab, but I don’t know if that will do. I can’t work and I can’t live alone. I really want to improve, but lets face it. I will never find a job were I can support myself and my daughter. I just got evicted for not being able to afford the rent due to meager income and they don’t work with you. Luckily, I found someone that let me rent a room in their house with my daughter. I will never be able to take care of myself. I don’t want to be a burden. My self esteem is real low right now. I can’t be a wife either. I am too slow.:frowning:

Dear Aliciar,

God bless you and prayers for you my dear…thank you for coming here and for sharing your story.

Jesus loves you so much, he knows your despair. He knows that you are discouraged and feel bad about yourself.

I will pray that the Holy Spirit will help guide you in the right direction for your life. Certainly your beautiful child must be a motivating factor for you, perhaps if you focused on her instead of beating yourself up that might help? Maybe you already do.

You have gifts to bring to this world that no one else does! I am sad to hear you in such a sorry state. Do you have a priest or deacon you like that can give you some spiritual guidance? It won’t be the answer to everything but perhaps they can put you in the right direction.

I wish I had more to offer you, please take care as best as you can.

I am living in sin right now. I live with a man who is the father of my child. I can’t marry him because he has a wife in Mexico he never told me about until after I was pregnant with my daughter. As much as I want him to leave, I have become somewhat dependant on him for money. He helps pay half of the rent where I live and he helps a little with my child. I am not ready let go. If I kick him out, he will not give me money. If I report him to the child support people, he will disappear on me because he is an illegal immigrant. I want to go to church and get rid of my sin, but I don’t know how. I need to baptize my daughter, but I don’t know if they will do it because of my status. I am scared and I feel alone.

The purpose of every life is as follows;

**“God made me to know Him, to love Him and to serve Him this world and to be happy with Him forever in Heaven” **(Baltimore Catechism catholicprimer.org/vatican_docs/baltimore_catechism.pdf)

It’s as simple as that!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Please do not give up! I would think you just haven’t found what you are good at yet. Take some time to think about things you enjoy doing as one tends to give more of oneself if it is something they like. Try to think of things that aren’t necessarily things that one has to put out a number. I worked in factories to help pay with my college expenses & while my quality was good, I never did meet quota. I was more set up to serve people, to be a nurse. We all have qualities that He gives us, we just have to discern them.

Perhaps you could go to your priest & he could give you some numbers to call for assistance. Also, it depends on the priest if he will baptize or not based on his belief the child will be raised Catholic. As a travel nurse, I have been to locations where the priests will not, & places they will. Perhaps try to look at your situation & think of it this way, do you want your child to grow up thinking it’s OK to live with a married man? You have moral responsibilities to your child as well as physical ones. You will be in my prayers!

The purpose of every life is to serve and worship God for eternity. To do this, you must first extract yourself from this self-created pity-party, get a job and show the man who is using your body for his sexual kicks to the curb.

I am sorry to hear of your plight. As has been already stated, the main purpose of your life is to love and serve God. It may be difficult to see what good your life accomplishes right now, but I am sure that you make a big difference in the life of your child. Your situation sounds very difficult, and I am not sure how I would proceed if I were in your situation.

However, I would strongly advise you to cease any sexual relations outside of marriage. I would also urge you talk to the pastor of your local church and ask for his advice. There may be organizations that he can refer you to for financial and emotional aid. It can be very difficult to ask for help, but there are people who can help. Remember, God loves you and is always willing to impart forgiveness. I will keep you in my prayers.

Where is your family? Mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents - someone in your family will take you and your daughter in.

Pray… hope… and don’t worry…

God knows your weaknesses…

If no one we weak and needed more help than anyone else, there would be no one to truly help and that would be a great misfortune…

We have to rely on God in all things. :slight_smile:

It reminds me of St. Gemma, in her diary she wrote about how she could not stand being ill and confined to her bed… but later she accepted God’s will entirely. However strong or weak He made her… however much strength He gave her…

We should pray for as much strength as He can give us and try our best, and then all the rest with be at peace.

Aliciar,

You sound to me like a person who is sick; not worthless, not lazy, and not without reason to live. If you are not under the care of a physician, I urge you to focus all of your energy on seeking treatment.

You reported several symptoms of a brain illness in your post. Only a doctor who knows you in person can diagnose a brain illness, and nobody here can give you medical advice. However, I would suggest to you as a person who wishes the best for you in friendship to seek a consultation from a doctor.

The first clue to your condition is your expression of helplessness and hopelessness. These states seem real to you, but in truth they are symptoms of an illness. The second clue to your condition is your direct reference to a lack of productivity and being “slowed down”. These are symptoms of an illness. The third clue to your condition is your expression of a lack of sense of self-worth. Based on your report of these symptoms, I would wonder if you should not seek further medical advice.

You should go and get a good check up by a doctor. You might be suffering from depression or something similar, and can be treated for it. Call your local parish office to ask about baptizing your daughter and making an appointment for confession. You can have your life back, but start with a medical check up. :rolleyes:

This is insensitive and ignorant. ^^

Aliciar - you are obviously suffering from depression. I have felt the same way too. One time I said to a priest in confession, “I feel so worthless that if Jesus saw me on the road, He would stomp on me like a bug and kick me out of the way.” The priest told me, “Are you kidding?! You’re the FIRST one he would come to.”

Don’t be afraid to go to your parish’s rectory and ask if you can talk to a priest. I think you will be surprised how caring and reassuring they can be. It’s very important you do this for yourself and your daughters spiritual well being.

Also, if you haven’t already, you need to find your state’s social services dept and get Medicaid for you and your daughter. Talk to a social worker and ask for all the help and advice you can get. You will need to make decisions about the girl’s father and tell the truth about him if you want YOUR LIVES to move forward. You will remain stuck in a dead end unless you move on without him. (I don’t know the legal procedures for illegal immigrants so I’m not sure what this would entail).

Also - you MUST go see a doctor. If you can get treated for depression, you will FEEL a gray mist lift off of you. Once you feel better, you will be able to make decisions more clearly and act on them. If you do nothing, your situation will only get worse.

As for a job, I’ve also worked at a call center and I know how much pressure there is for sales with a positive attitude! Just keep doing your best for now. Even if you lose your job, God will never leave you without options.

The very FIRST thing you must do is pray. Tell God this whole thing is too much for you and let Him take care of it. You will find that you’ll begin to get the strength and will to go forward.

God bless you!

Truth hurts sometimes. I will not be a party to enabling someone’s poor attitude by mollycoddling him and telling him everything is all right when it so obviously isn’t.

Other Eric,

It’s always wise to make sure one knows what one is talking about before one speaks. I am sure you would not like it if someone assumed from your posts that you had a character flaw, instead of offering suggestions based on real knowledge of how certain illnesses affect the brain and behavior. I would not want to assume, based on your posts, that you are immature, shallow, bitter, and prideful. It would be unfair for me to characterize you that way.

The truth was meant to set us free, not hurt.

I invite you to look upon a crucifix and tell me again how it is you believe that Truth does not hurt.

Nice try but the Truth is really meant to divide the sin from the sinner, release the chains of bondage to Satan, and even divide a family if need be. Matthew 10:34 much? “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword!”

Truth DOES hurt! If it didn’t initially hurt sometimes, no one would change! Why change your ways if there is no negative stimulus making you do so? Thats the problem with most people in today’s world. Jesus did not want to inflict tremendous visceral pain or life-threatening trauma in order for you to change your ways, in my opinion, but He did want people to realize the Truth and how it contradicted many of their lifestyles and actions. The hard part is how to show truth to someone in a loving, compassionate way. Jesus did it best, and we can only strive to do the same way with others.

Truth DOES hurt.

aliciar, know that you are worth just as much in the eyes of Jesus as me, as the CEO of a multinational business, as the President, as much as a single-celled embryo in the womb of a teenage mother who was the victim of rape.

Had you been the only person ever to sin and hurt Jesus, he would have suffered and died just as much as he already has, just for you.

Our greatest fear is not that we are weak and incapable, but that we have power beyond our understanding. Do you have the courage to accept that Jesus has given you the power to persevere through this trial? Not just to make it through, but to become a legendary saint in the process!

“The everlasting God has in his wisdom foreseen from eternity the cross that he now presents to you as a gift from his inmost heart. This cross he now sends you he has considered with his all-knowing eyes, understood with his divine mind, tested with his wise justice, warmed with loving arms, and weighed with his own hands to see that it be not one inch too large and not one ounce too heavy for you. He has blessed it with his holy name, anointed it with his consolation, taken one last glance at you and your courage, and then sent it to you from heaven, a special greeting from God to you, an alms of the all-merciful love of God.” -St. Francis De Sales

Sir, take that cross upon your own back first and deal with your own spirit before you malign a person who is physically ill.

Physical illness does not absolve anyone from the requirements of the Moral Law. Pointing out this Truth is an act of love.

I hope RCIA helps you develop humility and charity.

In the two posts the OP has made on this thread, she has mentioned one immoral condition- being unmarried and living with a man. Nothing else.

She has said she wonders about the purpose of her life and wonders if she is a burden on society. These sentiments, in the context of the self-critical and self-loathing content of the rest of her posts, are red flags for suicidal ideation. I would hope to see her get in-person help immediately rather than continuing to post here.

But thank you for setting us all straight here on how the OP is simply lazy and morally inferior.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.