What is the purpose of praying 2,000 Hail Marys?

What the purpose of praying the 2,000 Hail Marys devotion?

Never heard of it.

Praying though the Hail Mary is good when prayed as a prayer sure.

Now of someone approaches any prayer superstitiously well that would not be good.

I’d never heard of this devotion, either, but it does come up in a Google search: google.com/search?q=2000+hail+mary+devotion&gws_rd=ssl. I have no idea if it approved by a bishop or not, though. :shrug:

As for why anyone would pray 2000 Hail Marys, I have to say, why not? Does it matter if one prays 10 (one decade), or 50 (five decades), or 150 (fifteen decades) as many do what they pray the rosary? What difference does it make how many are prayed as long as, as Bobcat stated, it isn’t done out of superstition, but with real devotion and intention? :slight_smile:

When I pray a 54-day Rosary novena, it requires a lot of perseverance and concentration. To do something like this or 2,000 Hail Marys, is really hard! It’s a sacrifice, and sacrifice shows our devotion.

At the same time, there is a limit, and most of us need that limit. We are human, and we can go 100% only for so long before we burn out.

In the manner of Abraham testing the Lord regarding Sodom, I will lower the bar even further. Can a single “Hail, Mary” said with great faith, accomplish a miracle? Yes. We lowly humans always seek for something extra - new devotions when we already have more than a lifetime’s worth; new visions, when exactly zero are required and so many are simply imaginative or profit-driven; secret knowledge of the hidden years of our Lord’s life. It goes on until the end of time. We were given all we need at the moment of Saint John the Apostle’s last breath. Consummatum est.

As Bookcat and Della so cogently state, placing a number on something risks lapsing into superstition and, even worse, may lead to a loss of faith when the promised result is not obtained. Although a good Catholic need never offer even a single “Hail, Mary”, one who prays a daily Rosary has already said 19,345 per year. So, is the magic number then 20,000? If you haven’t gotten our mother’s attention by 1,000, I cannot see another thousand making any difference.

You could try it!!! Then let us know if/how God has changed you through that experience.

I think, as with most prayer, the “purpose” is really to change us, and bring us closer in relationship to God. I think we’ll only truly understand it if we experience it. I myself have not experienced this particular devotion.

My take on the number issue others have brought up: I also doubt it has so much to do with the number, but, like with the Jesus Prayer, I think it may have more to do with developing a habit of continual (“unceasing”) prayer, where the point of origin is no longer the lips but the heart. What starts as 2,000 will then become 5,000, then 10,000, 20,000 and soon enough it’s “unceasing”.

Try it!! Actually, since most of us haven’t heard of it, maybe we should all give it a try.

:thumbsup:

I have acquaintances who do it, am not sure if yearly or every six months. It is a devotion, or sacrifice. There are others who join in, taking turns praying the Hail Mary’s…

It takes the better part of a whole day to go through the 2000.

In that context, I can understand it. Although perhaps impractical, offering them before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament would be the place. Before the Tabernacle outside of adoration hours would be ideal, as that would not disrupt the spirituality of those at adoration.

St. Faustina prayed 9,000 Hail Mary’s, 1000 per day, a large novena before a special feast day.

That would take some strength to do.

St Paul says to pray constantly without ceasing. I have heard and read a lot of explanations about what this means. If for some it means praying 2,000 Hail Marys why would that be any more superstitious than praying one? The superstitious aspect would be if one believed that by praying the 2k they would somehow gain control over our Virgin Mother.

Our prayers of petition should always contain the phrase, Thy will be done. God will always give us what is necessary to deal with our problems. Which would be better, if we are gravely ill, to be cured or to receive the grace of a joyous death? I think our life should be a journey towards total trust in God, like a young child trusts her parents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.