What is the religious symbolism in the new Narnia movie?

Though it may not be as apparent in the movie as it would be in C.S. Lewis’ book, what is the religious symbolism in the new Narnia movie(Prince Caspian)?

All that I have understood …and yes it’s pathetic, I know… is that in the first movie Peter is suppose to be St. Peter; and Aslan is God(Jesus)

I NEVER watch movies for messages, meanings (religious, environmental, medical issues or whatever).
I watch a movie simply for entertainment.

I don’t know but I have question for you.

Did you get the part in Narnia about the queen outlawing Christmas for 200 years (or 300)?

So cool. I was talking about how Christmas was outlawed by Protestants from about 1600 -1800 because it was Catholic. Well my 12 year old said “Oh like in Narnia!”

Well I guess I missed that part. So I had to go back and have her show me. Well don’t you know there it was.

I have never read it or anything from C.S. Lewis so I didn’t realize that it was full of symbolism like that.Which is really cool and alot like Catholicism.

I didn’t catch that Peter was Saint Peter:blush: :rolleyes:

Did you know that Aslan is a Turkish word meaning lion?

I’d say Edmund is closer to Peter, but also has elements of Judas, in that he betrays (in his case betrays the other children more so than Aslan though) but is forgiven by Aslan.

It’s a shame they didn’t go more into the book of ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’ in the movie, for Aslan, like Jesus, also has a Father - the ‘Emperor-over-Sea’.

I’d say Prince Caspian has the message of the importance of faith and what happens when you lose faith and try to do things on your own. In the Old Testament, Abraham didn’t have faith that God would provide him a son, so Sarah had him sleep with her handmaiden and Ishmael was born. Yet, God did provide him a son, Isaac. Who knows what problems have resorted from Abraham’s lack of faith?

In the movie, there are two examples of the characters having a lack of faith, probably a better job of exploring this than the book or even the BBC version of Prince Caspian. Peter says that they waited for Aslan long enough, so he organizes a raid on King Miraz’s castle and it ends disastrously. The black dwarf also loses faith and thus tries to help by bringing back the White Witch.

I haven’t seen it or read it,but what it sounds like is the book of Acts. The beginings of the Church when the Church began to be persecuted.? What do you think?

Well I hope that the absence of the Pevensies would not be used by anti-catholics as a symbolism for the apostasy… Hehehehe!

CS Lewis flatly denied that Narnia was allegorical-- in the structure of this fictional story, Aslan is the Eternal Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, known to us in the Incarnation as Jesus of Nazareth–Narnia is a “what if” in Lewis’s own words “what if the Son of God appeared in another world as a talking lion?” In The Magician’s Nephew the cab driver Frank recognizes Aslan as this same divine Person.

Now human nature (or sapient beaver or wolf nature) being what it is, you will have people who are more consistently on God’s side, and those who choose to reject God–so while Edmund was a betrayer, he is eventuallly saved, by his repentence and Aslan’s sacrifice. Sort of a cross between Judas Iscariot and Peter bar Jonah if you will.

Prince Caspian looks at the four children and sees that they are young and alone. How can they go up against Miraz’s army? (David is young and goes to fight Goliath with only a sling and stones.)

Lucy saw Aslan but the other children didn’t. She should have followed him even though the others wouldn’t but she gave in to their influence and bad consequences resulted. Later she admitted to Aslan that she was wrong and he forgave her. (Come, follow Me. God forgives us but we often have to suffer the consequences of our sins.)

Edward, who had followed the White Witch in the first movie and was redeemed and forgiven by Aslan, was one of the heroes in the second movie. (Who was forgiven much, loves much. Jesus came to give us new life.)

The battle = the necessity to resist evil, even to the point of death.

Caspian and his people were not Narnian by ancestry but Aslan welcomes him and those of his people who are willing to remain in peace to be part of Narnia. (The gentiles are accepted into the kingdom.)

At the end, the children have to go back into their own world. (We can’t hold on to our experiences of God. Sometimes we have to continue with our daily life and just live by faith.)

Peter and Susan are told they won’t return to Narnia because they are growing up and must encounter Aslan in their own world, (We have to become adults in the faith and this may involve sacrifices.)

I’d say its more like the Church in the time of the Arian heresy - it (Narnia/the Church) had been established for some time, but then a majority of people, starting from important leaders down, strayed from the true faith and it was a real fight for those who remained orthodox in their faith to regain the upper hand.

Sounds like ‘Dark Night of the Soul’ actually, where God may withdraw the consoling sense of His presence from us to enable us to grow further in our faith by not depending on it.

I’ve read the same thing that another poster posted–C.S. Lewis denied that the Narnia stories were allegorical.

I would say that they are like what Madeline L Engle described when she said that there is no such thing as “Christian” fiction. Christians will just naturally write stuff with a Christian worldview. That’s what the Narnia chronicles are–good stories with a Christian worldview.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.