What is the role of a Godparent?

Dear Catholic Answers Staff,
My goddaughter was born in January 2003. Even before then, I have tried to look up on what it really means to be a godparent, being proactive. Sadly, they are all negative, even when they talk about their own experiences as one. They act as if it’s no big deal. I don’t! Yet I have been able to find anything significant on the duties of this. She is also the first child of her generation on both sides of the family. I gave her a nice crucifix for her birthday, something she wanted. However, she is cross country in Indiana when I am in California.
I know the roles have changed with this overtime, but the basics remain the same. The main change is that godparents were once a semi-back up plan to some degree if their parents were to die. I don’t remember the specifics.

These links should provide the Catholic understanding of the role of godparents. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
What is the purpose of godparents?
What are the requirements for godparents?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.