What is the significance of Exodus 9:31-32? (some crops ruined but not others)

While an explanation of all the symbolism would be nice, in this thread I’m seeking the explanation of these verses:

[quote=“Exodus 9, NABRE”]31 Now the flax and the barley were ruined, because the barley was in ear and the flax in bud.
32 But the wheat and the spelt were not ruined, for they grow later.
[/quote]

Why does God take the time to make these clarifications?

The author using his own personal understanding of the event gives you these clarifications because it pinpoints a specific time instead of a general one. It also means that the ‘first fruits’ of their harvest were destroyed. Kind of important there symbolically.

I see it as a foreshadowing of the Parable of the Sower at Matthew 13:3-9. I will use my favorite translation, the Douay Rheims Challoner Revision.

A purpose is to clearly indicate time of year, early in the month of Abib/Nisan. Other thoughts, Jesus died at the barley harvest which was destroyed. The Church started at the wheat harvest which was the start of God’s harvest (although the resurrection is the actual start of God’ harvest). Flax is what makes linen the clothing the priests were required to wear. Jesus was a priest clothed in the linen Shroud of Turin.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.