What is the significance of Wudu (washing) in Islam?

Muslims when they go for prayer, have to wash themselves in certain areas. Even if they have had a bath, they have to do this washing before going for prayer. What is its significance? Does it have any spiritual meaning?

Would appreciate if some muslims do answer.

Other than its required to perform the prayer, Muhammed said:

Sahih Muslim, Book 002, Number 0476:
Uthman b. 'Affan reported: The Messenger of Allah (way peace be upon him) said: He who performed ablution well, his sins would come out from his body, even coming out from under his nails.
(E)

I’m not sure how cleaning the outside gets rid of sin and evil on the inside. :confused:

Luke 11:38-40
But the Pharisee began to ponder and ask himself why he had not washed before dinner. {referring to Jesus} But the Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but within you are full of robbery and wickedness. Foolish ones! did not he who made the outside make the inside too?

Add that to the list of contradictions between Christianity & Islam (heavenly teachings vs earthy ones) ;).

in another hadiths it says each time you do wudu, the each drop of water that falls is like a sin is being removed! So it shows how important wudu is, sometimes we get lazy and dont do wudu proply, like at fajr time, but we should rememba that each time we do it, we are just like killing of our sins!!
But also that means that if you have done a sin, you shouldn’t just do wudu tryin to get rid of it, you should repent from it, as thats the best way to remove sins, as sincere repentence if accepted

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When a Muslim, or a believer, washes his face (in the course of Wudu’), every sin which he committed with his eyes, will be washed away from his face with water, or with the last drop of water; when he washes his hands, every sin which is committed by his hands will be effaced from his hands with the water, or with the last drop of water; and when he washes his feet, every sin his feet committed will be washed away with the water, or with the last drop of water; until he finally emerges cleansed of all his sins.’’[Muslim]

:confused:
in Islam=
wudhu means cleaning sin
fasting means cleaning sin
perform hajj means cleaning sin
then it’s obviously easy to clean sin
u just have to have water, money and endurance
then it obviously plain simple explanation why in Indonesia which is well known to be biggest muslims country, with government that seemed pious, yet shown to the world to be very corrupt. the root is simple muslim teachings: cleaning sin by those acts.

Here is another way for “sins” to be forgiven.

Volume 2, Book 13, Number 8:
Narrated Salman-Al-Farsi:

The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, “Whoever takes a bath on Friday, purifies himself as much as he can, then uses his (hair) oil or perfumes himself with the scent of his house, then proceeds (for the Jumua prayer) and does not separate two persons sitting together (in the mosque), then prays as much as (Allah has) written for him and then remains silent while the Imam is delivering the Khutba,** his sins in-between the present and the last Friday would be forgiven.” **

I consider myself a muslim in the Quranic definition, which is that many Prophets and their followres were “muslim” before Muhammad, even tho their religion was not called that. Likewise, the Babi-Baha’i Reelations were a renewal of “islám”

Reflect, also, that baptism in the days of John the Baptist was used to awaken and admonish the people to repent from all sin, and to watch for the appearance of the Kingdom of Christ. But at present in Asia, the Catholics and the Orthodox Church plunge newly born children into water mixed with olive oil, and many of them become ill from the shock; at the time of baptism they struggle and become agitated. In other places, the clergy sprinkle the water of baptism on the forehead. But neither from the first form nor from the second do the children derive any spiritual benefit. Then what result is obtained from this form? Other peoples are amazed and wonder why the infant is plunged into the water, since this is neither the cause of the spiritual awakening of the child, nor of its faith or conversion, but it is only a custom which is followed. In the time of John the Baptist it was not so; no, at first John used to exhort the people, and to guide them to repentance from sin, and to fill them with the desire to await the manifestation of Christ. Whoever received the ablution of baptism, and repented of sins in absolute humility and meekness, would also purify and cleanse his body from outward impurities. With perfect yearning, night and day, he would constantly wait for the manifestation of Christ, and the entrance to the Kingdom of the Spirit of God.[Jsus]

As Christ desired that this institution of John should be used at that time by all, He Himself conformed to it in order to awaken the people and to complete the law of the former religion. Although the ablution of repentance was the institution of John, it was in reality formerly practiced in the religion of God…
But in the cycle of Bahá’u’lláh there is no longer need of this symbol; for its reality, which is to be baptized with the spirit and love of God, is understood and established.
(Abdu’l-Baha, Some Answered Questions

Still, to be washed and clean is required.

One of Bahá’u’lláh’s injunctions in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas is immaculate cleanliness. He calls on His followers to become the embodiment of purity among the peoples of the world. Although this commandment of Bahá’u’lláh relates to physical cleanliness, and therefore is conducive to man’s dignity and distinction, it exerts an appreciable influence on his spiritual state. For outward cleanliness is a sign of spiritual purity and liveliness. In every stage of His life, whether in prison or in freedom, 'Abdu’l-Bahá, the Exemplar of the Teachings of Bahá’u’lláh, lived up to this important teaching. One of His striking features to which friends and foes have paid glowing tribute, was His spotless cleanliness and His outward appearance.(Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Baha’u’llah v 3, p. 363)

The Arabic word “latafah” (like Queen Latifah?), is rendered in Baha’i Writings as “refinement”, has a wide range of meanings with both spiritual and physical
implications, such as elegance, gracefulness, cleanliness, civility, politeness, gentleness, delicacy and graciousness, as well as being subtle, refined, sanctified and pure. (from notes to The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 198)

Of course JUST physically washing your hands and doing ONLY that is not enough, obviously!

Of course, one should add to this, among other things: wholeheartedly and friendly taking care of your neighbour in need of essential things; forgiving the just lessons that humiliates you to some degree but in itself is able to make you grow; be not quick to condemn; be quick to listen more than to speak up, etc. …

[quote]Originally Posted by jakasaki
Here is another way for “sins” to be forgiven.

Volume 2, Book 13, Number 8:
Narrated Salman-Al-Farsi:

The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "Whoever takes a bath on Friday, purifies himself as much as he can, then uses his (hair) oil or perfumes himself with the scent of his house, then proceeds (for the Jumua prayer) and does not separate two persons sitting together (in the mosque), then prays as much as (Allah has) written for him and then remains silent while the Imam is delivering the Khutba, his sins in-between the present and the last Friday would be forgiven

[/quote]

What??? :confused:

I like to wash before prayer.

If i have been busy it is good preparation time, slows me down an readjusts my lost focus.

I have some other ways to do the same.

Washing can also help minimise distractions during prayer ie. flavour still in my mouth after eating.

It also helps me heaps in the morning, you drag your but out of bed at first light and washing helps with waking up to focus well, most times LOL.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.