What is the teaching of Adam and Eve in the Church?

I’m kind of riding the fence here, I’m a devout Catholic, I have just always wondered about this.

Modern Biology and Genetics would say over a 6000 year period, 7 billion people could not evolve from 2. I know the doctrine of Original Sin, I’m just not sure how to go about this, which is why I’m here.

Also, last question, What is the position of the Church on the age of the earth?

Thanks, and God Bless,
Jared.

P.S. I’m sorry about the question, I don’t really know how to put it.

It was answered by an apologist here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=832802

Regarding the age of the earth:

"The Time Question

Much less has been defined as to when the universe, life, and man appeared. The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago."

Catholics are allowed to believe either.

Peace,
Ed

I have not encountered any scientific claim that it would be impossible for 7 billion people to evolve from 2 over a 6000 year time period. I would check if such evidence exists and whether or not it is credible. I’m not saying your claim is wrong (I’m not up on evolutionary science), but I just find we save ourselves a lot of headaches if we make sure there is really a problem to be had.

That said, the Church does not take an official position on the age of the earth but leaves that for the scientists to figure out. Catholics are not young-earth creationists who believe the world is only 6000 years old. The events recounted in Genesis are not intended to be newspaper accounts of every historical fact in full detail. Rather, they convey the religious significance of primordial events. There’s no reason a Catholic cannot believe that Adam and Eve lived a lot longer ago than 6000 years.

This statement kind of sums it up:

“The Church teaches that the Bible is true in all that it intends to teach as true.” (Michelle Arnold)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.