What is the truth about Adam and Eve?

Please don’t refer me to some article. I’d prefer a direct answer. We always hear Adam & Eve had 2 children, Cain & Abel (or Able, not sure of spelling). Obviously, there must be more to this story. Did they have more children? I’ve heard there were more & reproduced but it wasn’t considered incest as they were totally pure? Can you please, briefly if need be, offer me an explanation of this? I’ve always considered it to be more of a story to teach a lesson. I don’t think every single thing written in the Bible is meant to be taken 100% literally. Men, I believe, wrote some of the passages to explain what wasn’t fully understood by them & sometimes did their best through stories. Some were writing of events that didn’t even happen during their lifetime! But I’m straying from my question…what’s the REAL deal with As dam & Eve & their number of children & reproduction?

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on the origins of the human population. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Were Adam and Eve real people?

Were Adam and Eve real people?
Why do Catholics say that the creation stories are symbolic?
Are the Old Testament stories myths?
Why are there two different creation stories in Genesis?
How did God create Cain’s wife?
Who were the parents of Cain’s wife?
What book to give a religion teacher who teaches that Adam and Eve are myths??
Did God create more “parents” than Adam & Eve so that Cain could have a wife?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.