What is the truth he speaks of?

Jesus said in the gospels, “…for this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice.”

What is he talking about? What truth is he referring to? Thanks.

One essential truth Jesus said is to Satan [Matt 4:4], “It is written, ‘Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

We know that Jesus is the Incarnate Word of God and He says that He is the Truth.

So, you should read the Gospels and [as Jesus says in the Gospel] the teachings of The Apostles and the authentic teachings of the Catholic Church.

Maybe you have read these things, but the above is a summary of the Truth He speaks of here.

God the Father, Him the Son, The Holy Spirit and those who hear His voice. This is the truth He bears witness to. His Father because He was born, Himself because He willed to come into the world, the Holy Spirit because He has a voice and everyone who is of the truth because they hear His voice.

My simple answer is this: Jesus said to His Apostles “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE”. Therefore the Truth He spoke of was not only faith in what He taught, faith in God, but faith and belief in HIMSELF. HE IS THE TRUTH. That’s why the Gospels and other writings of the NT are so important. He revealed the Truth (Himself) in these writings and in His teachings.:slight_smile:

He was referring to the truth of himself and his Father. That he is one with him and is the creator of all things and Lord of all. That he is love and through him comes eternal life, which he would achieve for us through that love on the cross to atone for our sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.