What is the Word?

Lots of people think the Word is the Holy Bible. If you read John closely he begins by saying In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God." I woke up early this morning saying Jesus is the Word. Jesus is the Word. But that answers Who is the Word.

What is the Word? What word was given to the shepherds the day Jesus was born? Peace. Peace to men of good will. Peace is the word.

This song came to mind…

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be.
With God as our father
Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

If Jesus is thewho and Peace is the what, what can I do in my own life to help promote peace? It seems the world needs peace so much right now.

“Come, Lord Jesus. Come. Come, Prince of Peace…”

Yes, but also the Bible is the story of Jesus’ life (in the Gospels and the other NT books); Jesus Christ who is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets (the old testament books). So in fact the Bible is the Word because the Bible in some sense “is” Jesus.

The Word is Jesus, Jesus is (in) the Bible, thus the Word is in the Bible. It’s like…a Trinity, or something. Astounding!

Thanx, Petra22 for this insight! Indeed, Jesus is the Word and God
has wisely stated that “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by
[the Word] that proceeds… from [the Father]” Jesus is what we feed
on, live for and die for!!!

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Bible- the written word
Church- the living/spoken word
Jesus- the incarnate word

I’m glad your brought up the OT because that’s the whole point. “In the beginning…” to me the most famous words and more… God spoke! And what word did he say first? Let there be light! God spoke a word… so the word was with God and the word was God… Now fast forward to the NT in Luke, when Jesus was born “an angel of the lord appeared to the shepherds and the glory of the Lord SHONE over them…”

40 days later Joseph and Mary took Jesus to the Temple for the presentation and what did Simeon say? “Now oh Lord you may dismiss your servant, with my own eyes I have seen your salvation… a LIGHT to reveal your will to the Gentiles…”

Fast forward 30 years and John 8:12 Jesus spoke to the Pharisees again, I am the LIGHT of the World…"

Don’t you know this shook the early community to its core. Over and over again from the OT to the NT…

AWESOME:harp:

What is the Word?

In Christ’s time, there was no New Testament. The “Word” was the Torah, which are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Christ is the “living Torah”, the manifestation of the Torah in flesh and blood. This is one of Pope Benedict’s descriptions of Christ - the “living Torah”.

“And the Word was made flesh” refers to Christ as the living Torah taking on a human nature.

Benedict talks also about how we as Christians can manifest the Torah ourselves. Whenever we follow a commandment, we bring the Word of the Creator to life in real time. Christ was the ultimate demonstration of bringing the Word to real life in real time.

Your quote is not accurate.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

The Word with a capital “W” is Jesus. The word with a lower case “w” is the written word of God. John 1 capitalizes the letter W.

-Tim-

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out. I am awe struck that God spoke in the OT and Jesus is the Word He spoke for me… I can’t get it out of my head or heart!!!

I didn’t mean to take away from your original post. One thing I have learned form the monks is that Christ often speaks to us through the scriptures in a very personal way. I pray every day for peace in the world, in my own life and in the lives of people I know.

-PAX-

The same answer as Who is The Word, in both cases The Word is Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.