What is this kind of Rosary called?

I have seen different kinds of Rosaries, one I have a question of what you call it. There was a sister or nun wearing this one style of Rosary on her sash. This one had all 20 Decades on it. So generally all the Mysteries of the the Rosary, The Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful & Glorious all on one big Rosary. What is this called? Any help would be appreciated. I would love to find and order one for myself. Thank you so much for your help. God bless you.

They might be called Dominican Rosaries, but I could be wrong.

I googled ‘20 decade rosary’ and this is what I found:

rosarycard.net/20-decade-rosaries/

rosaryworks.com/custom0.cfm

giftsofaith.com/Products/rsp20.htm

catholicprayercards.org/catalog/item/4237983/4148547.htm

myrosarybeads.co.uk/category/20-decade-rosaries/

I saw one in a Catholic gift shop with a sign that read, “Twenty-decade rosaries on sale!” So, thaf is what I have thought of them as.

there are 59 beads in a modern standard dominican rosary, - 50 in 5 decades of Hail Marys, 6 Our Fathers, and 3 extra Hail Marys in the pendant between the cross and medal.

Originally monks were required to read aloud all 150 of the Psalms every day. Those of the monks who were illiterate were allowed to recite 150 Our Fathers instead. They initially used a pouch of pebbles or pips to keep track of how many they had said, transferring one to another bag for every prayer said. Then they used knots on a string, then beads (the origin of the word bead is 'bede' to pray), without divisions.

when the rosary to Our lady was developed, they used the same number of 150 beads but saying 'Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee'. That was it - it was much faster to say 150 of those at time. The other lines were added over the centuries. They divided the beads into 10s with single beads, and the cross hung from one of the Our Fathers, without a pendent of extra beads. Religious wore the whole string of 150 looped from their belts. It is called a Habit Rosary.

The common rosary used today is a third of the length, and we go round it 3 times to say the 150 prayers. When the Pope added the Luminous mysteries, we had to go round 4 times! a very short rosary is only 10 beads in length - called a pocket rosary by some. It has a cross one end and a loop on the other, and is transferred from one finger to the other inside the pocket.

Thank you, SilverCamellia, your links were amazing!
Thank you, Aquila Lucis, your help by telling what the Catholic Store says was Very Neat !!!
Thank you, Falco, your post was very informative. Interesting read!!!
All very helpful! Thank you!

I've always thought of the long 15 or 20 decade rosaries that the nun's wear as 'habit' rosaries. Those particular rosaries are made more strongly than a regular rosary since they are worn.

If you put in 'habit rosary' on Ebay you'll see some nice antique rosaries that used to belong to the nuns or sisters that wore them. Very cool rosaries. :) I've always loved those rosaries!

Hey gh4. Thank you for that tip!!!.I’ll look now!!7 I need to get into contact with the Dominican Sisters as well. God bless you!

[quote="Falco, post:4, topic:313298"]
a very short rosary is only 10 beads in length - called a pocket rosary by some. It has a cross one end and a loop on the other, and is transferred from one finger to the other inside the pocket.

[/quote]

As an aside, there are a few styles of these single decade rosaries out there. Among those with the finger ring/loop are Irish penal rosaries, which seem rather popular. However, many others lack the ring altogether and commonly have a medal on that end. Collectively, btw, these rosaries are generally known as tenners. Just in case anyone might be interested. :)

Thank you so much for this bit of information, cothrige. I have a tenner, like one. When I used to do my walking, I would take it with me . Sad thing is my Crucifix broke off of it. It is still blessed, I know but I just don’t feel like it has a purpose without a Crucifix on it. I know I’m wrong. I guess I just feel like the Crucifix is what makes the Rosary complete.

Thank you all for your help. I am a proud owner of a 20 decade Rosary that I purchased off of Ebay! I love it! So pretty!!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.