What is this?! MARY was a PRIEST?

I came across this website looking at the reason why a woman would want to be ordained a priest. I know this is fallacy but the fact that this group of women “who are called to be priests” according to them would propagate such lies reveals where these “callings” are coming from.

womenpriests.org/paffirm.asp

Mary has often been called explicitly a “sacrificing priest”, a “sacrificer”

Mary offered Jesus as a sacrifice at the Presentation in the Temple

Mary acted as a sacrificial priest on Calvary

Haven’t heard of this website or movement. I’m interested in living Ephesians 5:21-34 with my beloved husband and hope all of mankind recognizes the great value and gift that women are to the human race.

I see the “double standard”; placing men’s needs/authority, over women’s, has been very distructive in the balance, both being made in the image and likenss of God, male and female.

Feel men have taken license to control instead of instruction to love their wife, as themself, which means they need to listen to, respect and consider doing what their wife wants, before what they want.

Ever consider who Jesus first appeared to, after His resurrection…Mary of Magdala? He instructed her to “go and tell the others” the good news. Does that make her a priest? Hmmm. Interesting to ponder.

Also consider what Jesus said to Martha regarding Mary’s desire to listen to His teachings. She had chosen the better path. Hmmm.

Maybe it is time for women to take more responsibility of their direct spirituality, as it relates to God and faith, with less attention to man and his desire to control in religion?

There are different kinds of priesthood. All Catholics who are baptized share in the baptismal priesthood. Those men who are ordained share in what is known as the ministerial priesthood. Mary’s priesthood – which did not come from any ordination – was and is of a very special and extraordinary kind – entirely unique – and can’t be the basis for women being ordained priests any more than Mary’s virginal motherhood can be the basis for women becoming virginal mothers :wink:

[quote=rayne89]I came across this website looking at the reason why a woman would want to be ordained a priest. I know this is fallacy but the fact that this group of women “who are called to be priests” according to them would propagate such lies reveals where these “callings” are coming from.

womenpriests.org/paffirm.asp

Mary has often been called explicitly a “sacrificing priest”, a “sacrificer”

Mary offered Jesus as a sacrifice at the Presentation in the Temple

Mary acted as a sacrificial priest on Calvary
[/quote]

That’s an OUTRAGEOUS heresy!! :mad: :frowning:

Boy, do I wish in times like these the Holy Inquisition still functions like it did before… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=elizabeth4truth]Haven’t heard of this website or movement. I’m interested in living Ephesians 5:21-34 with my beloved husband and hope all of mankind recognizes the great value and gift that women are to the human race.

I see the “double standard”; placing men’s needs/authority, over women’s, has been very distructive in the balance, both being made in the image and likenss of God, male and female.

Feel men have taken license to control instead of instruction to love their wife, as themself, which means they need to listen to, respect and consider doing what their wife wants, before what they want.

Ever consider who Jesus first appeared to, after His resurrection…Mary of Magdala? He instructed her to “go and tell the others” the good news. Does that make her a priest? Hmmm. Interesting to ponder.

Also consider what Jesus said to Martha regarding Mary’s desire to listen to His teachings. She had chosen the better path. Hmmm.

Maybe it is time for women to take more responsibility of their direct spirituality, as it relates to God and faith, with less attention to man and his desire to control in religion?
[/quote]

Hmmm. You ever wonder why after all that there still have never been women priests. Hmmmm.

[quote=mrS4ntA]Boy, do I wish in times like these the Holy Inquisition still functions like it did before… :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Me too, I think it’s badly needed now.

[quote=heretic]Mary offered Jesus as a sacrifice at the Presentation in the Temple
[/quote]

All women presented their child to the temple because it was Jewish tradition. It doesn’t make Mary a priest.

[quote=Fidei Defensor]All women presented their child to the temple because it was Jewish tradition. It doesn’t make Mary a priest.
[/quote]

plus, there was actually Simeon who did all the ceremony.

Actually, this just proves the Church’s position rather than the opposite. Mary and those women at the foot of the cross were worthy in a sense to be priests, but the bald fact that they were not priests, shows that the Church’s teaching is right yet again.

Merely saying one is called to be a priest is only half the equation–it is the interior call. There must be an exterior call and this comes from the Church, and if they say to anyone (man or woman) that they are not called to priesthood, that’s it. One may indeed have a call to something, but not the priesthood.

Scott

Mary was not an ordained priest of the Catholic Church, but she is nonetheless a priest of the Catholic Church because is a member of the Catholic Church. There is only one priesthood in the Catholic Church, the priesthood of Jesus. There are two distinct ways that members of the Church participate in the one priesthood of Jesus. All members of the Catholic Church are sacramentally consecrated into their participation of the one priesthood of Jesus by the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation.

Mary has often been called explicitly a “sacrificing priest” …

Is this supposed to be controversial? By definition, all priests offer sacrifices.PRIEST. An authorized mediator who offers a true sacrifice in acknowledgment of God’s supreme dominion over human beings and in expiation for their sins …
Pocket Catholic Dictionary - John A. Hardon, S.J.
Consider the prayer said in the chaplet of Divine Mercy:
Eternal Father,
I offer you the Body and Blood,
Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son,
Our Lord, Jesus Christ,
in atonement for our sins
and those of the whole world. This is priestly prayer, since it is offering a sacrifice to God the Father in atonement for sins. But what sacrifice is being offered? “The Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son”, i.e. the real presence of Christ, the absolutely perfect sacrificial offering. And for what reason is the perfect sacrifice offered? “In atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.”

The prayer of the Chaplet of Divine mercy is a priestly prayer, and in truth, it is the highest priestly prayer that could ever be said, since it is offering the perfect sacrifice to God the Father. It is also a sacrificial offering that is being presented not just for personal sin, but the sins of the “whole world.” How could any priestly prayer ever exceed what is being said in the Chaplet of Divine Mercy? The perfect sacrificial offering for the sins of the whole world. Yet Jesus gave this priestly prayer to a woman, and Jesus asked that she spread this prayer to the whole world. Is Mother Mary less able to offer the priestly prayers of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy that St. Faustina?

I think it is somewhere in the Bible that we are called to a royal priesthood. But the ordained priesthood is a sacramental priesthood. A priesthood that is given the power to confect the Eucharist. This power was given at a time where only the disciples of Jesus was present. There is no mention of women being present. To say Mary confected the Eucharist is Heresy with a capital H. The only time Mary made christ Truly present is through the labor of her womb She brought him into the world and became the mother of his humanity.

[quote=joshua1]I think it is somewhere in the Bible that we are called to a royal priesthood.
[/quote]

Indeed it does, and that is why the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that all members of the Catholic Church are priests.**Catechism of the Catholic Church

THE GRACE OF BAPTISM

1268** The baptized … share in the priesthood of Christ, in his prophetic and royal mission. … Baptism gives a share in the common priesthood of all believers.[indent]… let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ
1 Pet 2:5.

… you are "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation …”
1 Pet 2:9.**THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY ORDERS

The one priesthood of Christ (1544 & 1545)

Two participations in the one priesthood of Christ

1546** Christ, high priest and unique mediator, has made of the Church “a kingdom, priests for his God and Father.” The whole community of believers is, as such, priestly. The faithful exercise their baptismal priesthood through their participation, each according to his own vocation, in Christ’s mission as priest, prophet, and king. Through the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation the faithful are “consecrated to be . . . a holy priesthood.”

1547 The ministerial or hierarchical priesthood of bishops and priests, and the common priesthood of all the faithful participate, “each in its own proper way, in the one priesthood of Christ.” While being “ordered one to another,” they differ essentially. In what sense? While the common priesthood of the faithful is exercised by the unfolding of baptismal grace --a life of faith, hope, and charity, a life according to the Spirit–, the ministerial priesthood is at the service of the common priesthood.[/indent]

To say Mary confected the Eucharist is Heresy with a capital H.

Yes, that would be heresy, but that doesn’t change the fact that Mary is a priest in the Catholic Church. The question has been raised if we can conceive of Mary as a priest. The answer to this is, yes, Mary is a priest because Mary is part of a nation of priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.