What is this part of the Mass called?

[font=Verdana]After the consecration of the bread and wine, and after the people have exchanged the sign of peace, the priest breaks off a piece of the Eucharist and puts that piece into the chalice, this is to symbolize Jesus’ resurrection, uniting his body and his blood. Does this have a act name?


Dear e,

The part of the Mass in which the priest breaks off a fraction of the host and drops it into the Chalice is called the Fraction Rite.
He then says inaudibly: " May this mingling of the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ bring eternal life to us who receive it."

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.