What is/was the hardest thing for you to sacrifice during Lent?

*For me, so far, it’s been coffee. :o I know that sounds wimpy, and the strange thing is, I don’t drink a ton of coffee…maybe a cup or two daily. None in the afternoon. But, I just love it in the morning, like part of my routine…comforting. lol I dunno. It was the hardest thing though. At first it was easy, but by week two I missed it. Oh, and a close second was getting up at the crack of dawn and going to 6:30 am daily mass for Lent, in Pittsburgh. I sacrificed sleep for the Lord, that year. lol Sleep and coffee…my faves. :wink:

Just curious…what was the hardest thing you sacrificed for Lent? *

The hardest thing…not eating between meals. I was hungry - a lot. But I tried to remember to “offer up” the hunger.

The best - attending 6:30 Mass three days a week. I was hooked on that long before Lent was over. I felt like I had discovered “the pearl of great price”.

A close second best (and it wasn’t as hard as I thought) - I gave up complaining about my husband. I was amazed at the difference that made in our relationship. I know it was more than what I did.

When I was a kid, we used to do the regular old: no meat on wednesdays and fridays, one bigger meal, two smaller meals a day. We’d give up chocolate and anything “sweet”. We’d give up the radio and the TV. So all that combined was like living in a funeral home :stuck_out_tongue:

When I’m not busy, it’s all hard. When I’m busy,it flies by…

I did that last year, too. I included criticism that I kept to myself - I did not allow myself any of it at all. At the same time, I could tell that for Lent, he was treating me like a queen at every opportunity with amazing generosity and caring. I felt like a real slug - I stopped being critical and he went over the top in love. :o

That wasn’t so hard, because I could see immediate benefits. What I find really hard are the ones pertaining to food. That’s just pure suffering for me - no easily discernable reward. I usually end up compensating myself for what I’ve given up. One year I gave up white flour (one of my true cravings), and by the end of Lent, I had found a bakery that had the most delicious whole grain sourdough bread - hey, it wasn’t white! Last year it was sweet baked goodies, and my kitchen was full of sweet fruits, cereals and diet sodas. I still have a couple of those miserable grape sodas left!

I’m thinking about butter this year. I can see it now - I’ll be drowning in olive oil by Easter!

Betsy

Last year I gave up CAF for three days a week. That was hard because I'm on here WAY too much.

I should do it again this year, but I may throw in one or two days a week without TV as well - today I've been practically TVless and just enjoying the serenity, catching up on reading and stuff.

Time for reflection, effort for becoming better, things which make the period different.

Soda....diet soda in particular.

Mainly because I had such a strong caffeine addiction and didn't realize it until then. I lasted 3 days cold turkey before I got these insanely painful migraines followed by a fever. I was lying in bed all day that Monday in no shape to go to work that night (I worked nights at the time) when my mom came in with a large diet coke, demanded I drink it, and pick something else as a Lentan sacrifice. The migraines were gone within an hour. :blush:

After Lent I did eventually learn to kick the addiction by taking it slow.

I know this sounds weak as well, but one year I gave up cream and sugar in my tea or coffee…:coffee: it was very much harder than I even expected…but I really began looking forward to Sundays…:coffeeread: I hate the taste of coffee black, or black teas with out cream and sugar, so needless to say I drank a lot of Herbal teas…:slight_smile:

*Regarding early morning mass…I agree. Something that began as a hardship, grew to be something I could hardly do without. Maybe that is the underlying point of Lent…not only to sacrifice, but in the sacrificing, we grow to not need the very thing we clung to (sleep) and instead replace it with something much more gratifying and holy. Thank you for your comment.

Lily–I agree, I would like to maybe knock down my online time in general…that would be a toughie, indeed! :o*

:smiley: Aw…no, that can be hard I can see that. I think that whatever we ‘‘cling’’ to in general…or we ‘‘think’’ we ‘‘need,’’ and we ‘‘give up’’ for Lent…we realize that God’s grace is really all we need…and thus, we grow stronger. I have read that coffee has some positive effects, so no need to give it up this year for me. hee hee :smiley:

I am actually thinking of doing mine again…it was really hard…and I then had to give up complaining as well…so it did help me learn a virtue! :slight_smile:

*Something rather insidious that I’m going to give up this year is complaining, namely about Florida. :o Yep…I actually have a jump start, all week, I have counted the blessings here…and really REALLY feel that if Jesus were before me in the flesh, would He say…’‘keep complaining, it’s great.’’ No, He would tell me to stop complaining, give it to the Father, and get on with serving Him and others. I felt this the other day in prayer…soooo…I actually have been making some new friends, went out to lunch with someone new yesterday, and had a great time. God basically told me through prayer also…’‘Open your eyes to the people around you. There are nice people here.’’

It helps to visualize Jesus before me in the flesh, and what the look on His face might be, when I am wallowing in self pity over something trivial…(when I compare my life with the horrible situation in Haiti, etc) I feel rather silly for all the time I wasted complaining as I have about FL. Ugh, and I can’t pull that time back. :frowning:

I hope to gain some insights from you on here, everyone…to see if there are other things my family can do for Lent. Thanks for your input. *

[quote="LilyElain, post:11, topic:185045"]
I am actually thinking of doing mine again...it was really hard...and I then had to give up complaining as well...so it did help me learn a virtue! :)

[/quote]

lol funny how that worked out, no? :)

Yes, I'm thinking about coffee this year also. A friend gave up all drinks but water one year and that has really stuck with me. I don't drink soda too much, but I do love tea and coffee (and wine, and.... you get the idea!) so I could see how that would really keep me aware!

I think I will give up my fear. Since I've moved, I have been terrified, and it is easy to just close up. I'm away from everything and everyone I know, and I'm too scared to really open up. I used to be very involved in my old church, and here, I'm doing nothing (except stare at cute men). There is stuff in my parish I would like to be involved in, but I'm scared that I will laughed out ("you aren't "Catholic" enough, sorry). I just have to suck it up. :D

[quote="whatevergirl, post:1, topic:185045"]
For me, so far, it's been coffee. :o I know that sounds wimpy, and the strange thing is, I don't drink a ton of coffee...maybe a cup or two daily. None in the afternoon. But, I just love it in the morning, like part of my routine...comforting. lol I dunno. It was the hardest thing though. At first it was easy, but by week two I missed it. Oh, and a close second was getting up at the crack of dawn and going to 6:30 am daily mass for Lent, in Pittsburgh. I sacrificed sleep for the Lord, that year. lol Sleep and coffee...my faves. ;)

*Just curious...what was the hardest thing you sacrificed for Lent? *

[/quote]

I give up CAF-which I will have to admit probably makes a lot of members Lents much happier!

Aw, lol I don’t think so, bob. :smiley:

:console: It’s funny you say this…perhaps, this is how I’ve felt all along, since moving to Florida…fearful. Fearful of trying new things, stepping out of my comfort zone. I have made new friends, and joined something through the Diocese (Carmelite third order for lay people) and I’m feeling less fearful. I think that in order to dispel fear, we have to walk through it…towards Jesus. It’s not always easy to see it that way, but that is what has helped me these past few weeks to stop complaining, and being fearful. I know you can do it too…just keep praying about it. God bless!

Plus my boyfriend doesn’t want me to get too involved in the Church (he got mad when I invited him to Mass). But Church is the one place where I feel peace. I might have no job (but some interviews this week, yay!), and I might be freaking out, but when I walk into the Church, I feel comfort. I remember when I was in formation for the Benedictines, that was probably the happiest I ever was, but I left because I thought there was something “more”. More being marriage. Ever since then, I felt lost.

waits for people to stop laughing, even though the thought of me being a nun is funny

Now there is voice that won’t go away. I don’t know what is saying, but a woman at church said I looked like a nun. :confused: I guess they don’t see many single woman at Mass. :shrug: I should let God take control (that scares me), I’m not a good driver. I get distracted by shiny things, and squirrels. :smiley:

[quote="CountrySinger, post:19, topic:185045"]
Plus my boyfriend doesn't want me to get too involved in the Church (he got mad when I invited him to Mass). But Church is the one place where I feel peace. I might have no job (but some interviews this week, yay!), and I might be freaking out, but when I walk into the Church, I feel comfort. I remember when I was in formation for the Benedictines, that was probably the happiest I ever was, but I left because I thought there was something "more". More being marriage. Ever since then, I felt lost.

waits for people to stop laughing, even though the thought of me being a nun is funny

Now there is voice that won't go away. I don't know what is saying, but a woman at church said I looked like a nun. :confused: I guess they don't see many single woman at Mass. :shrug: I should let God take control (that scares me), I'm not a good driver. I get distracted by shiny things, and squirrels. :D

[/quote]

Oh wow...really? You should explore that inner voice calling you. :o I was happy for you when you told us that you were dating someone, but...please don't let this man or any man come between you and your faith. (I know you probably heard that coming, sorry, don't mean to mother you) :blush: I care about you though...and don't want to see you allow a man to move you away from the Church. I will keep praying for you...keep me in your prayers, too...would you? :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.