What is Wesleyan spirituality?

I have never heard of this before in my life, and I have come accross the term in three different places in the last week! So, now that my curiousity is piqued, if anyone has the answer, I’d love to hear it!

God bless you and thanks in advance.

Been doing some digging around – is it another word for Pentecostalism?

look up John Wesley id think.

No!

Wesleyan spirituality is indeed the outgrowth of the teachings of John Wesley. There are some dandy articles on the subject at the Houghton College website. (Houghton is my mother’s alma mater, & associated with the Wesleyan Methodist Church).

No!!
Wesleyan spirituality is indeed the outgrowth of the teachings of John Wesley, as well as his brother Charles…There are some good articles on the Houghton College (NY) website. (Houghton is a Wesleyan Methodist college).

So is Roberts Wesleyan (the college I attend). Personally dont know what Wesleyan spirtuality is, but I would guess it is the following of the teachings of John Wesley.

Briefly, a Wesleyan spirituality embraces as primary God’s initiating grace and humanity’s freedom to respond. It seeks to grasp the essentials of both Christian doctrine and the Christian life.

Wesley made an analogy that religion is like a house. The three main parts of the house are repentance, faith and holiness, and a Wesleyan spirituality approaches life is in this manner.

For Wesley, this method was less about making Wesleyans and more about making Christians.

It is also a church group: wesleyan.org/ME2/Default.asp

This can be a rather pretentious term. Basically it means the form of Christian piety practiced by Christians in the Wesleyan tradition, which would include Methodists and various smaller “holiness” churches, such as Nazarenes, Free Methodists, Wesleyans (yes, there’s a Wesleyan denomination which is not the same thing as the broader Wesleyan tradition), the Salvation Army, the Church of God (Anderson), etc. Some Pentecostal denominations are also basically Wesleyan in their theology.

Wesleyans are closer to Catholicism on many points than other Protestants (Baptists, Calvinists, etc.). We believe, as Catholics do, that God’s grace is sovereign but at the same time works together with our free will, so that we are more optimistic about the possibility for real holiness in this life through the indwelling power of the Spirit. (The hardline “holiness” folks actually believe people can be cleansed from all sin in an instant, but others are a bit more dubious about this.) Wesley himself believed strongly in the sacraments as means of grace, and many people from the Wesleyan tradition (such as OSL and myself) are trying to recover this. The official Methodist liturgical texts reflect this sacramental spirituality, but a lot of local churches don’t.

One of the distinctives of the Wesleyan tradition is an emphasis on what Wesley called “Christian conferencing”–in other words, fellowship and spiritual conversation among Christians. Wesley organized a complex system of small group meetings to keep his followers accountable to other Christians for their spiritual growth–a form of spiritual direction, but less individualized than the Catholic version. This system fell into disuse in the later 19th century, but the enthusiasm for small groups present in many Christian traditions today shows that Wesley was on to something, and many modern Wesleyans of various sorts are trying to find ways of reviving this.

Edwin

Roberts was actually founded by Free Methodists…It is named for the founder of the Free Methodist Church, Benjamin Titus Roberts.
(My mother graduated from there, back when it was still just a junior college!!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.