What is with people bringing bottles of water into Mass?

Can’t they go 45-60 minutes without a drink? It doesn’t happen at my home parish, but at a lot of the more “progressive” ones in the area.

[quote=Detroit Sue]Can’t they go 45-60 minutes without a drink? It doesn’t happen at my home parish, but at a lot of the more “progressive” ones in the area.
[/quote]

you know… it’s probably less distracting than them leaving church to get a drink if needed, assuming of course they can drink it without major production, but i agree, it’s one of those generational things that drives me up the wall… oh well, different strokes for different ghost…:cool:

http://www.silverbulletcomics.com/img/product_images/propic-00000288-01-full.jpg

Well apparently the pastor at my parents’ parish - a fairly liberal place - came down pretty hard in his weekly column in the bulletin against people chewing gum, wearing shorts, leaving right after Communion, and parking in the fire lane. Give 'em another 10 years and he can tackle water bottles. (Actually I’ve never seen that, except maybe parents with small kids).

[quote=Bobby Jim]Well apparently the pastor at my parents’ parish - a fairly liberal place - came down pretty hard in his weekly column in the bulletin against people chewing gum, wearing shorts, leaving right after Communion, and parking in the fire lane. Give 'em another 10 years and he can tackle water bottles. (Actually I’ve never seen that, except maybe parents with small kids).
[/quote]

I went to Mass at our old parish, and the priest stands in the back of the church to distribute Communion, trying to stop the hemmorage of people leaving right after receiving. He is reaping what he sowed, now. Right after he was assigned there, his claim to fame was Sunday Mass in 40 minutes or less! He placed the presiders chair smack in the center of the Sanctuary, with the altar on the side. He (still) does not hear confessions on a schedule. He seems to be trying to become a tad more orthodox (but he’s got a looonnng way to go before he becomes my Fr. Hedges), and the parishioners want no part of it.

[quote=Detroit Sue]Can’t they go 45-60 minutes without a drink?..
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, some people can’t or shouldn’t, especially if the weather is especially warm. I’m sure they’d appreciate your consideration in this matter.

[quote=Detroit Sue]I went to Mass at our old parish, and the priest stands in the back of the church to distribute Communion, trying to stop the hemmorage of people leaving right after receiving. He is reaping what he sowed, now. Right after he was assigned there, his claim to fame was Sunday Mass in 40 minutes or less! He placed the presiders chair smack in the center of the Sanctuary, with the altar on the side. He (still) does not hear confessions on a schedule. He seems to be trying to become a tad more orthodox (but he’s got a looonnng way to go before he becomes my Fr. Hedges), and the parishioners want no part of it.
[/quote]

Detroit Sue

I am so glad you brought this up. I attend the indult TLM, however I occasionaly go to the NO at different parishes. The striking thing is, At all of these churches the people literally “run” out after communion. What is up with this? I have been wanting to ask this for sometime. I see people leave the communion line and go straight out the door! Our pause on the way out and grab their children or handbags.

At the average Parish usually A third (sometime more) leave after communion. Do you see this in other parishes? have you heard of it in other places?
Our parish is located downtown so we have a lot of tourists for our Tridentine Mass. I see them doing the same thing.

Someone brought hot coffee into Mass one time where I was!! :eek:

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]As a matter of fact, some people can’t or shouldn’t, especially if the weather is especially warm. I’m sure they’d appreciate your consideration in this matter.
[/quote]

I don’t buy it. Most of these people I see are not infirm, and these churches are plenty air conditioned. If you must have a drink, discreetly leave. Mass is not some movie matinee.

[quote=Detroit Sue]I don’t buy it. Most of these people I see are not infirm, and these churches are plenty air conditioned. If you must have a drink, discreetly leave. Mass is not some movie matinee.
[/quote]

I agree. There are SOME people who have problems and need constant hydration but most of them it just becomes a habit. I know people who take their water bottle everywhere…makes me wonder if they were deprived of breast feeding as a child :wink: . I also think there used to be an urban myth that you needed to drink 8 glasses of water a day. That’s been debunked but some people still believe it.

It really is hard to drink out of a bottle without making noise. Popping the little plugs, slurping,gurgling, sucking sounds are the norm. FWIW I’d love to see gum gonged as well.

Lisa N

I am young. I have allergies. In the summer, when the pollen counts are high, the perfume irritates my throat so severly I have coughing fits that can last up to 10 minutes. A little water throughout Mass stops the irritation from becoming a full fledged fit.

But since it clearly is such a distraction, I’ll just sit there and cough and/ or get up every 5 minutes or so and get a drink so I don’t have to leave Mass altogether when I can no longer breath.:rolleyes:

I have seen this on occasion, as well. At one parish in particular (Lansing Diocese), there are a few bottle-bearers that actually have the same type of bottle! We have yet to ask what it is all about.

I have not actually seen them drink from it (but I am not really watching them during Mass, either). I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they filled it from the Holy Water font to take home.

As for the weather comment, I first witnessed this during the early spring (in Michigan that means there was still 3 inches of snow on the ground). Now that it has actually gotten warmer, I have not noticed it as much. So that theory doesn’t hold water!

When my sister is undergoing chemotherapy she can not go without water. So you never know the reason behind someone with a bottle of water. I know my sister would always be embarassed when people would stare at her for doing something that was absolutely necessary for her and many cancer patients undergoing such therapy.

Do they turn the heat off though?
I’m waving to you from just below and they just recently turned on the air when we hit 80

Though, as for people leaving, at my mass, they usually will wait till the Priest is seated and skip the ending song…
Now, he’ll walk to the back after the blessing and block the door singing with everyone.

We have a guy who attends Mass every morning and always brings his picnic bag with him.

He unloads and opens it takes out a plastic container of water and leaves it perched in front of him.

He will always have a sip just after the Gospel. Worse still he sits in the very front row and the beaker has a screw off lid. Everyone knows he is opening it and I must say it has to be so distracting to the Priest.

I simply choose to ignore it now.

posted by Fergal

Worse still he sits in the very front row and the beaker has a screw off lid.

Assume the best, assume he has a reason for drinking water in Mass. Go and buy him a water bottle with a straw so when he takes a drink, it will be less distracting.

[quote=usqueadmortem]Someone brought hot coffee into Mass one time where I was!! :eek:
[/quote]

Doesn’t that go against the one hour fast?

I have a serious hydration problem. If I don’t keep water going in, I can soon reach the point where I just pass out…Which, I gotta say, an ambulance crew coming in, & carrying someone out on a gurney is a LOT bigger distraction than someone sipping from a bottle of water.
On the other hand, I definitely would not use a bottle that has a snap top, or that makes odd (snap, crackle, pop)sounds when drinking out of it. That would be rude to everyone else!

Because of allergies and asthma I am also forced to do this sometimes. Perfume, incense, and even just dust can cause problems for people. Even just sitting near someone who smells of moth balls is a problem. Also, I just learned something new about people who are undergoing chemotherapy. Many times the trouble breathing could lead to passing out before reaching wherever the water is or getting a water bottle out of the car. An inhaler might work but is even more obtrusive than the water. Hopefully, most people will understand, and will not judge others harshly for this.

Someone once said that we can see the actions of a person, but we can never see their motives. The truth is that we don’t know why people are bringing in water during Mass, but since we can’t see their motives then we have no right to guess what they are or to judge them for it.

Two weeks ago I’d never have brought anything into Mass with me, either. However, last week I got a terrible cold and couldn’t go longer than two minutes without coughing. I asked one of the Deacons if it was all right if I brought some hard candy into Mass with me. He said it was fine because my intent wasn’t so that I could eat, but so that I would not disturb anyone else with my coughing.

We don’t know what a person’s intent is. Since we don’t know, then we should leave their decisions up to themselves and God and just try and focus on the beauty of receiving Christ.

Scout :tiphat:

[quote=Shinobu]Doesn’t that go against the one hour fast?
[/quote]

Hmm, good question. I would think so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.