What is worse:prostituting or working in a nerve gas manufacturing plant?

While the former is unfortunate use of one’s sexuality and comes with personal risks including the stuff,moral lapses and suffering that can come particularly out of emotional breakdowns,the latter might be seen as “just another labor job” by the person doing it though the suffering the produced product can do when used can cause greater amounts of suffering (“in higher multiples”) by destroying ppl’s lives (but not infrastructure) indiscriminately.

You know it’s “shoulder-to-shoulder” contrasts like these that make me think we shouldn’t judge sinners but love them and not their sin.I feel that there’s more than the kinds of moral breaches and “magnitudes of impact” here…though what else can be said about such a comparision?.

That it’s pointless.

Seriously, what is the point here? :shrug:

I will agree with you that working at a nerve gas manufacturing plant seems worse, and I will agree with you that things like this hardly get the notice and criticism they deserve because people claim that they are “just doing their jobs.”

But that in no way excuses the prostitute. We are to look at sin objectively, not in relation to each other. Otherwise, I suppose I could excuse any number of immoral behavior based upon the fact that so many others do worse. But then, that would hardly be striving to be a saint or be in line with Jesus’ message, would it?

I find it odd that so many Catholics here try to rank degrees of sin, thinking some are better than others or that some are not as bad. Sin is sin and is something that we should all strive to avoid.

BTW, I think making telemarketing phone calls is a worse sin than either that you mentioned.

:amen:

Seriously, the question highlights why we simply cannot judge. Prostitution is always intrinsically wrong. In its very nature, the commission of sexual immorality, it is the one of the two that is objectively sinful.

The second has too many variables, and the work done is unlikely something objectively sinful. It is the context, intent or cooperation with evil that would determine its sinfulness, which is something beyond us humans.

To me, this is a silly question that only invites moral realativism. I guess an unrepentant sinner can argue who had the worse job for eternity.:shrug:

One could easily argue that prostitution also has too many variables and that it is the context, intent or cooperation with evil that determines its sinfulness. It is easier to think that someone decides the 9-5 life is just not for them and decides to prostitute. Too many people are forced into prostitution, or are victims of other sexual abuses that inhibit proper development.—What moral use could nerve gas have?(maybe there is one but I can’t think of it). Seems like knowingly participating in its production (if there is no valuable, moral , ethical use of it ) would be sinful.

You’re right when you say “we simply cannot judge”.

I agree with that, but if you notice, the question is a little different. Chemical plants often have multiple products, and various stage chemicals split off in different direction. Also, some jobs have nothing to do with the direct production of materials, much less the direct production of the nerve gas. Most actual jobs may be done on materials, or using processes that have both good and evil uses, with only the final area of production resulting in nerve gas.

That is all I meant by a job in this factory may not involve objective evil.

Which is worse? What the other guy is doing. :tsktsk:

they are both pretty flippin bad

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.