What is Worship

This i think will be an interesting discussion, considering that it seems that Christians and Muslims believe worship have different meanings. So what do you think What does it mean to worship something?

The true worship of God consists in the offering of sacrifice. Prayers are not, technically speaking, worship, but are are part of our worship in which we re-present the sacrifice of Christ to the Father. Since Muslims cannot/would not offer the proper sacrifice, they, along with all other heretics of Christianity, can only offer a truncated form of worship by offering prayers alone.

[quote=Della]The true worship of God consists in the offering of sacrifice. Prayers are not, technically speaking, worship, but are are part of our worship in which we re-present the sacrifice of Christ to the Father. Since Muslims cannot/would not offer the proper sacrifice, they, along with all other heretics of Christianity, can only offer a truncated form of worship by offering prayers alone.
[/quote]

Well said. I can’t think of a better explination.

[quote=Della]The true worship of God consists in the offering of sacrifice. Prayers are not, technically speaking, worship, but are are part of our worship in which we re-present the sacrifice of Christ to the Father. Since Muslims cannot/would not offer the proper sacrifice, they, along with all other heretics of Christianity, can only offer a truncated form of worship by offering prayers alone.
[/quote]

Hmm, this is interesting; i wonder if Christ sacrifies allows us to communicate with Saints.

[quote=chb03c]Hmm, this is interesting; i wonder if Christ sacrifies allows us to communicate with Saints.
[/quote]

Yes, it does! All we have we have in Christ and his sacrifice.

[quote=Della]Since Muslims cannot/would not offer the proper sacrifice, they, along with all other heretics of Christianity, can only offer a truncated form of worship by offering prayers alone.
[/quote]

oh, how little you know about islam and the different forms of worship the muslims take part in. and f.y.i. there are various sacrifices made in God’s name done by muslims that are legislated by the religion.

NAU Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

I’ve always liked this quote about worship (latreia) and sacrifice, etc.

one of the great scholars of islam, ahmad bin taimiyyah, was asked about Allah’s statement in the Quran, “o people, worship your Lord.”, what is worship and its branches? and is the whole of the religion included in it or not? what is the reality of worship? is it the highest of positions in the worldly [life] and the hereafter or is something of the positions above it? so let him expound on the statement for us with regards to that.

his reply, which sums up the islamic definition of worship, began with the following:

the praise is Allah’s, Lord of the worlds. worship is a comprehensive term for all of what Allah loves and is pleased with from the actions and the deeds, hidden and apparent. so prayer, zakaah (alms to the poor), fasting, pilgrimage [to the holy house in mecca], truthfulness of speech, fulfillment of the trust, goodness to the parents, joining the ties of kinship, honouring the covenants, commanding the good and forbidding the evil, struggling against the disbelievers and hypocrites, excellence to the neighbour, the orphan, the poor, the wayfarer, the worlds of the humans and the animals… supplication, remembrance, reciting [the Quran] and the likes of that are from worship. and similarly, loving Allah and His messenger, fearing Allah and turning in repentance to Him, sincerity of religion for Him, patience for His judgement and thanks for His blessing, pleasure with His decree, reliance upon Him… hope for His mercy, fear of His punishment and the likes of that, they are from the worship of Allah. and that, that is the worship for Allah that is the beloved purpose for Him and the thing that pleases Him, which He created the creation for. [end of quote]

source: the scholar’s treatise, “servitude” (al-'uboodiyyah).

I thought I’d add a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, no. 2097:

To adore God is to acknowledge, in respect and absolute submission, the “nothingness of the creature” who would not exist but for God. To adore God is to praise and exalt him and to humble oneself, as Mary did in the Magnificat, confessing with gratitude that he has done great things and holy is his name. The worship of the one God sets man free from turning in on himself, from the slavery of sin and the idolatry of the world.

The reference in the middle is to a prayer of praise to God that Mary spoke in the bible, often called the Magnificat, in the gospel of Luke. It begins, “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.”

I also thought I’d add another bible quote that I like from Hebrews 13:

15 Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. 16 And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

Some of what is mentioned in the quote provided by r.gonzales matches what I understand to be involved in the previous quote I gave from Romans about sacrifice. I see overlap here.

[quote=r.gonzales]one of the great scholars of islam, ahmad bin taimiyyah, was asked about Allah’s statement in the Quran, “o people, worship your Lord.”, what is worship and its branches? and is the whole of the religion included in it or not? what is the reality of worship? is it the highest of positions in the worldly [life] and the hereafter or is something of the positions above it? so let him expound on the statement for us with regards to that.

his reply, which sums up the islamic definition of worship, began with the following:

the praise is Allah’s, Lord of the worlds. worship is a comprehensive term for all of what Allah loves and is pleased with from the actions and the deeds, hidden and apparent. so prayer, zakaah (alms to the poor), fasting, pilgrimage [to the holy house in mecca], truthfulness of speech, fulfillment of the trust, goodness to the parents, joining the ties of kinship, honouring the covenants, commanding the good and forbidding the evil, struggling against the disbelievers and hypocrites, excellence to the neighbour, the orphan, the poor, the wayfarer, the worlds of the humans and the animals… supplication, remembrance, reciting [the Quran] and the likes of that are from worship. and similarly, loving Allah and His messenger, fearing Allah and turning in repentance to Him, sincerity of religion for Him, patience for His judgement and thanks for His blessing, pleasure with His decree, reliance upon Him… hope for His mercy, fear of His punishment and the likes of that, they are from the worship of Allah. and that, that is the worship for Allah that is the beloved purpose for Him and the thing that pleases Him, which He created the creation for. [end of quote]

source: the scholar’s treatise, “servitude” (al-'uboodiyyah).

[/quote]

Thank you Brother Gonzales for that excellent post and reply.

Joseph.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.