"What Is Wrong With Homosexual Marriage?" A Catholic article

It’s an Internet forum. If the @GospelOfMatthew said something you disagree with, why don’t you come out and type a rebuttal?

In most cases, people feel guilty because they’ve been taught to feel guilty. This is a part of culture, not something innate. If someone is brought up in a home or a society that doesn’t consider something to be bad, people won’t feel guilty about doing it. Do you think that the ancient Greeks felt guilty about engaging in homosexual behavior? They also saw nothing wrong with masturbation. Nowadays, most people who did not come from a religious background probably don’t find anything wrong with masturbation and don’t feel guilty about it.

On a Catholic forum, guilt means something. Not excessive but appropriate guilt over doing something wrong. Sure, people do these things but it seems the standard is if someone else does it and I want to do it, then I shouldn’t feel any sense of guilt. Too many people absorb a media that tells them to not be guilty about anything.

Masturbation denies the dignity of the persons who are the subject of the urge. It also denies the function of sex. And it also denies the idea of self-control. Why should your body control you? You should control your body.

According to Leviticus 25: 44-46:

44 As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. 45 You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. 46 You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property.

To me this seems to indicate that God considered slavery, if not exactly good, certainly neutral from a moral standpoint. But most people nowadays would consider slavery to be immoral which it is in my opinion. So, the morality of slavery is dependent on culture and is not unchanging.

If you believe the Catholic stance that masturbation is wrong because it allows one to obtain sexual gratification without taking part in a pro-creative act, then that is all you need to say.

The rest of what you wrote is not based in any sort of fact. It is made up. It is opinion. I don’t even think the Church teaches anything about bodily control in the way you said.

I don’t understand why some people feel they have to add on to what the Church teaches. Will I get hairy palms and mental illness, too?

I have no idea what you mean. There are former masturbation addicts out there. The will should be to do what is good and not to do the bad.

Did I mention fish?

Just so you don’t think this is just my opinion, I suggest you look at what the Church is telling people:

Stop what? Using the term ‘state of grace’?

Nope. What I said stands. The understanding of what the Church teaches is clear. Why do you and others here feel like they have to add icing to it?

It is tiresome to those Catholics (and others) who don’t believe what the Church teaches on this issue. You might actually convince them if you stuck to the facts.

You will be hard pressed to find a secular medical doctor or a psychologist who believes masturbation is anything more or less than a perfectly healthy activity, and one with many benefits. They have data to back it up.

I am an old lady and my vision is still 20/20. I haven’t gone blind yet, and my self control is actually pretty exemplary.

The Bible tells us otherwise.

James 1:26

New International Version
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

New Living Translation
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.

English Standard Version
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.

In my second moral theology course, Aquinas’ taxonomy of sexual sin was explained, in detail. “Progressivist Catholics” deny it, obviously.
But this is all far afield. The topic is same sex “marriage.”

Secular authorities are just the words of men. The words of Jesus Christ are life. Men may change their minds and create falsehoods.

Sexual deviation is promoted today in many forms. I have seen illustrations for homosexual bathhouses. Masturbation is one feature.

Excellent !

It is without a doubt the most prevalent sexual sin. Prevalence, however, is irrelevant.

I hope to encourage anyone reading to stop doing it, by praying to God.

The marital act is an act by which man and woman unite physically, which may result in procreation. It requires sexual complementarity. A homosexual act can never be marital. Same sex ‘marriage’ is an impossibility. The law of course may recognize a biological impossibility as legal. But does anyone believe in biology any more? Or is human desire the only reality?

Well, one can call them ‘marriage’ only in the legal sense because the state has made them legal. In the same way one can recognize legal divorce as a legal fact although Jesus and the Church teach that divorce has no effect on the permanence of a valid marriage.

As for the Eucharist, one may say that Jesus is present whole and entire, both corporeally and spiritually. (I think that from a philosophical standpoint, everything in physics is a study of what Aquinas would call “appearances” or “accidents” since we can only study what is perceptible to the senses.

It’s good to be legal, but even if the state got out of the marriage business, I presume that the Church would still perform marriages. The state does not, after all, certify Baptism and Confirmation either, but they are no less real than marriage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.