What is wrong with me? Need help :(

Please pray for me, I am so afraid, I don’t know what’s wrong! :frowning:

I keep having panic attacks lately, and for no apparent reason. I’m having one right now. I tried going to sleep, my wife and I, she was reading her prayer book and I my St. Anthony’s Magazine, then she fell asleep, and I tried, but EVERY time I would doze off I was afraid I would stop breathing, my heart would race, and I would feel frightened. I hate our bedroom, it’s where I keep having them. She’s asleep so I won’t bother her, but I’m going to sleep in our living room, or at least lie on the couch and put on a DVD to comfort me. I’m going to put on a movie about St. Francis of Assisi, it’s comforting and hopefully may soothe me.

But why is this happening? Am I being plauged by demons for my past sins? I haven’t slept well in weeks because of it. I’m so tired, but can’t fall alseep at night, ESPECIALLY in that room and I want cry right now from frustration? Why do I get scared? There’s nothing for me to worry about? What is wrong with me? Please please help. :frowning:

Have you spoken to a psychiatrist about this? Your doctor?

If you have a Catholic psychiatrist in the area, I’m sure he/she would be of great avail.

Hopefully a combination of talking with your pastor and safe sleep medication will treat you.

I am going to say a Hail Mary for you…

Thank you, I feel so terrified even now :frowning:

I have OCD and that may be spawning it.

I don’t take medicine, was hoping not to. But I guess I might.

I feel like shadow hands are gripping me. Please ask God to protect me, and that our Holy Mother will comfort me. Thank you.

Try reading the Psalms. Don’t read them in order. Skip around.

At first they may seem boring, but after awhile you may start noticing certain words or phrases which will comfort you.

Also, try listening to some sacred music. Go to www.pandora.com and create a station for music by Palestrina or Tallis. Just sit back, if you can, and allow yourself to melt with the music. Even if you don’t sleep, you’ll rest.

Thank you dear brother :o

Pray your rosary.

Gosh, lots of great advice has been given. I agree with the suggestions above, and don’t have anything to add except this prayer which I hope may be of help:

PRAYER FOR
INNER STRENGTH

Lord Jesus Christ,
I’m upset and disturbed,
and I pray that You will grant me
the grace of inner Peace.
**As You commanded the storm winds at sea to be calm,
command the storms in my life to be calmed. **
Give me the patience I need
to cope with the burdens and anxieties of my life.
Grant me the strength to better deal with my problems,
and the understanding to be more tolerant
and kind to others.
Teach me to seek after Your will
which alone brings peace of mind
and peace of heart.

Amen.

catholicdoors.com/prayers/english3/p02665.htm

I’ll pray for you! :gopray:

*Praying for you–you could have a form of insomnia, I would seek a doctor’s advice, too. When you are frightened, praying the Rosary, as someone suggested, is very powerful, quite amazing actually Even from a health perspective, I feel much calmer having prayed the Rosary.

I hope that things improve soon. God bless.*

Are you involved with fantasy games or books? Who is Darshun Luthais? You could have opened some doors to the demonic unknowingly. Take a good look around your room to see if there are any objects that are occultic and get rid of them. Make use of Holy Water and prayer. If it continues have a prayer team or priest come to your home and bless it. Jesus will help you.

You need to see a doctor…

Darshun Luthais is a character I created in a novel I’m working on. In the fantasy realm, he’s Catholic at heart. And I am most certainly not involve dinto the occult. I love fantasy—uplifting fantasy.

Though, recently I had dwelt into other deities out of curiousity and . . . fell into other things but I went to Confession for it yesterday. :slight_smile:

I will pray the rosary.

Wow, this sounds exactly like what has been happening to me lately. I haven’t been able to sleep for about five nights in a row now. I think I got around 2 hours of sleep last night. My breathing gets constricted and shallow and my heart races. I’m afraid that if I go to sleep, I might die in my sleep. This only happens at night. I think what has helped me the most is trying to control my breathing and taking slow deep breaths. I’ve been trying to do some breathing exercises that I found on the internet which help you to breathe correctly.

Here’s a link I found last night that might be helpful:
thrivingnow.com/for/Health/anxiety-constricted-breathing/

I’ve also been trying listen to music with headphones on when trying to go to sleep to get my mind off of it and it helps some.

I think the most helpful thing to do is to realize it is a psychological thing and it can probably be controlled. I also try to remind myself to trust that God will take care of me and my guardian angel will watch over me while I sleep.

I hope your sleeping improves soon.

Check in with your psychiatrist… or doctor. I highly doubt this has anything to do with your spirituality.

Be safe.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Did you have problems before you dwelt into other deities and other things? What kind of other things?

Most people are not aware of the spiritual realm where both demons and angels inhabit. This is real and seemingly innocent curiosity can get you into serious trouble. I have had first hand experience with evil entities and it is not pleasant. You might need to have a good general confession and also do research on spiritual warfare if your problems persist. You might need deliverance. It appears that going to confession has not healed the problem.

Have you seen the Exorcism of Emily Rose? It is based on a true story.

My advice is to stay away from the fantasy fascination or any other occultic, false religion practices, New Age teachings. Stay close to Jesus and the Church where there is safety.

St. Michael defend us in battle…

You need to look at this from two angles and then see how they might be connected.
Obviously, the first is spiritual and many of the previous postings have given fine suggestions of what you might need to do. Secondly, I encourage you to speak with your family MD or internist about having a “sleep study” done. This can determine if you have sleep apnea or night terrors.

Now, should the medical testing show that you have a sleep disorder, by all means follow through with the treatment, but also follow through with the spiritual part, as well. If you have some demons pestering you, they are going to “get you where they can” and untreated medical conditions are a fine one for them to attack.

From The Liturgy of the Hours, Sunday Night Prayer:

Lord,
be with us throughout this night.
When day comes may we rise from sleep
to rejoice in the resurrection of your Christ,
who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

May the all-powerful Lord grant us a restful night
and a peaceful death.
– Amen

(with appologies for any copyright infringement… ;^)

<><
Jim

Please see a doctor about this. Panic attacks are a medical condition.

My DH is a devout man-- daily Mass, Rosary, prayer, spiritual reading, etc. etc. Didn’t keep him from getting panic attacks and didn’t keep him from needing medication at times to keep it in check.

Assuming you would be open to the possibility of taking medication if you were diagnosed with diabetes or epilepsy or glaucoma, please go see your doctor with that same kind of open mind.

Very best regards,

Margaret

Psalm 3

A psalm of David, regarding the time David fled from his son Absalom.

1 O Lord, I have so many enemies;
so many are against me.
2 So many are saying,
“God will never rescue him!”
Interlude[a]
3 But you, O Lord, are a shield around me;
you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
4 I cried out to the Lord,
and he answered me from his holy mountain.
Interlude

5 I lay down and slept,
yet I woke up in safety,
for the Lord was watching over me.
6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
who surround me on every side.

7 Arise, O Lord!
Rescue me, my God!
Slap all my enemies in the face!
Shatter the teeth of the wicked!
8 Victory comes from you, O Lord.
May you bless your people.
Interlude

This might help:

youtube.com/watch?v=lH1g1NQkUtE&feature=related

This sounds very similar to something that happened to me a few years back when I was in high school. I even got an air mattress out and had my mom lay next to me on the floor, and still I couldn’t fall asleep. Every time I would start to fall asleep, I would feel a jolt of adrenaline and wake up. It was miserable and so frustrating when you are so tired you just want to go to sleep! If you have not talked to your doctor about this, I would advise doing so, even if you don’t plan to take medicine (although I do and have had great success with it). He or she can check you out and make sure there are no other concerns that might be triggering your symptoms. Just knowing that you are experiencing a panic attack and are not really in any physical danger may give you great comfort. Also, although it may not feel like it in the middle of a panic attack, you will get though this and feel better. Best of luck to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.