What is your criteria for evangelizing others in your Religion?

I was having a discussion here and I have now learned that Catholics are called not to proselytize the Orthodox. I actually did find this surprising seeing that Catholics see themselves with absolute truth in faith. I also don’t believe that us Evangelicals should take Catholics away from their Faith. Unfortunately there are fundamentalists that do, but I prefer the view of C.S. Lewis or William Lane Craig, and most intellectual Evangelicals.

All that aside, I take no issue with trying to bring Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, or those who were raised Christian but have sort of lost their way to my Church and set of beliefs.

So I have a few questions for all the different posters here, regardless of Religion:

1. Would you try to bring non-Christians away from their Religion to Christianity?

2. Would you try to bring non Trinitarian adherents (Mormans, JW’s, SDA’s, Unitarians) away from their Religion to Christianity? (Also, this question can be reversed for any readers of those Religions to Trinitatians)

3. Would you try to bring those who were brought up in a Church you respect (but not yours) and don’t really attend anymore to your Faith?

4. Would you try to bring adherents out of a non-Catholic/Orthodox Faith to your Faith? (Again, question for the reverse)

5. Would you try to bring an Orthodox member out, and into your Faith? (Reverse as well)

I hope I phrased all this well. Thank you.

Typically, from a Lutheran perspective;

1. we will evangelize the unchurched.

2. we will not attempt to “sheep steal”, generally from other Trinitarian communions, and particularly from other sacramental communions
    Our attentions are far better spent attempting to reach the unchurched.

3. we will receive any who wish to join us, confessing that which we confess.

Jon

I’d would not hesitate to show any and all how the Catholic religion informs my faith… Maybe different from some, I would do so through my actions, not my words. I would answer questions if asked. It wouldn’t matter what religion they currently follow or if they do not follow a religion.

I am a Baha’i.

That means I see basically all the religions as valid and ordained by God, in much the same way as Christians view the followers of Noah, Abraham, Moses, the Jewish prophets and Jesus as followers of God.

I am not very interested in proselytizing my religion per se. I prefer to share my understanding - that God loves people of all faiths, that God wishes in this day for us to work together for peace, social and economic dignity of every human being on the planet, religious acceptance between people of different faiths, and the primacy of response to the promptings of the Holy Spirit rather than arguments about dogmas, who is right and has God on their side, and who is wrong and deprived of God’s grace.

I believe the most important thing is to become like Christ, not to believe any one or other particular set of doctrines. We spend so much time trying to show that our religion is better than some other religion - time much better spent learning to love our fellow brothers and sisters created by our One Father, God as His Son, Jesus showed us.

I would like to think I would tell the catholic and protestant I meet face to face why I disagree with their practice and they would come to their own conclusion as they would tell me why they disagree with orthodoxy. I do not think it is however wrong in principle to proselytize to a Christian from another church, although there are plenty of wrong ways of going about it.

That being said, whenever the opportunity presents itself, I will tell the non Christian, non trinitarian why I believe in Christianity above every other religion. This is what every Christian should attempt after all.

Yes to all of the questions.

Thanks for the responses; but I’m curious if you believe it would be right to bring others out of their Church into yours?

Out of curiosity, why do you think it would be right to remove a Catholic from Catholicism, into Lutheranism?

I don’t think that would be possible for me to “remove” someone from anything. How could you “remove” someone from their particular church?

They would have wanted to leave on their own accord, right?

I’m saying, trying to convince one that their Church (or set of beliefs) is not true and they would find greater truth within your Church.

Certainly if I am asked I am happy to engage in discussion and address areas I think the Catholic Church is in error.

I don’t seek out the opportunity.

I like this question.

Myself, I think it is important that a person comes to know Jesus, first and foremost as He is the Truth. But first, one must realize that some things are true and some things are not. Second, one must learn to value that which is true and be a seeker of truth. After that, I do not proselytize. I simply discuss what is and what is not and let the Holy Spirit guide in all truth.

I would urge people to read Pope Francis’ letter on the new evangelization.

** So I have a few questions for all the different posters here, regardless of Religion:

1. Would you try to bring non-Christians away from their Religion to Christianity?**

**2. Would you try to bring non Trinitarian adherents (Mormans, JW’s, SDA’s, Unitarians) away from their Religion to Christianity? (Also, this question can be reversed for any readers of those Religions to Trinitatians)

1. Would you try to bring those who were brought up in a Church you respect (but not yours) and don’t really attend anymore to your Faith?

2. Would you try to bring adherents out of a non-Catholic/Orthodox Faith to your Faith? (Again, question for the reverse)

3. Would you try to bring an Orthodox member out, and into your Faith? (Reverse as well)**

Perhaps. Would I try to bring Christians away from their religion to my own? It would depend on the circumstances. As a Bahá’í who converted to the Faith from Evangelical Christianity and as an individual, I believe everyone needs to make the most informed decision for themselves through critical evaluation of religious claims, reason, prayer, and reflection. God desires the best solution to our context at that time, and only we can know that context alongside honest communion with God. If an Atheist is better suited to be a Christian than a Bahá’í, than I’d surely hope they’d become a Christian. All the same, if a Christian is better suited to be a Muslim or Hindu, I’d hope they’d become that.

I don’t want to “actively” try to convert others. If someone is interested in pursuing the Truth, their mind will be open to it, and they’ll seek out those conversations on their own. I like to make myself available to talk, but am extremely conscious as to whether or not I come off as presenting my religion as totally “superior.” Obviously as a believer in my own Faith I see it as the best option, but that might not be true for someone in a different spiritual place. The official administrative bodies of my Faith have also strongly discouraged door-to-door evangelism, street preaching, etc. Bahá’ís are only supposed to make our presence known and talk when it’s relevant to do so. Some of us are better at living up to this than others.

I thoroughly enjoy conversations with Christians friends and relatives who attempt to “bring me back into the fold” because it presents a critical response to my beliefs that challenges me to grow deeper in them.

I would actually say that everyone needs evangelism. Remember, not everyone who says, “Lord, Lord” is someone who has attained salvation. Even routinely-worshipping Christians can fall into patterns of ignorance, despair, idolatry, or other sin. The process of conversion is a continuous process, and we need to be the Church for everyone, not just those outside communion with Rome.

The Orthodox occupy a different position than Protestants and other Christians. In particular, the Orthodox have valid lineages of apostolic succession from the apostles. As such, try already have access to valid sacraments, in the same manner as Catholics. There is a schism between Catholic and Orthodox over matters of ecclesiology, but not of soteriology or sacramental theology.

All that aside, I take no issue with trying to bring Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, or those who were raised Christian but have sort of lost their way to my Church and set of beliefs.

Agreed! These people are among my top evangelical concerns. In particular, those with no religious affiliation, who are growing demographically.

1. Would you try to bring non-Christians away from their Religion to Christianity?

Absolutely. Constantly.

1. Would you try to bring non Trinitarian adherents (Mormans, JW’s, SDA’s, Unitarians) away from their Religion to Christianity? (Also, this question can be reversed for any readers of those Religions to Trinitatians)

Absolutely. I will note that I don’t see the exact same issues between these groups. Adventists are largely trinitarian. JWs and Unitarians both pin their hopes of salvation to Jesus Christ, but do not believe him to be God (Michael the Archangel and a man, respectively). Mormons have an entirely different conception of God, so are the most outside the Christian fold.

1. Would you try to bring those who were brought up in a Church you respect (but not yours) and don’t really attend anymore to your Faith?

Yes.

1. Would you try to bring adherents out of a non-Catholic/Orthodox Faith to your Faith? (Again, question for the reverse)

Yes. The Catholic Church is the only church founded by Jesus Christ.

1. Would you try to bring an Orthodox member out, and into your Faith? (Reverse as well)

I consider the Greek Orthodox (and affiliated Churches) as having the same faith I have. Some non-Chalcedonian “Oriental Orthodox” are still our Christian brother and sisters, but I’m unsure about their canonical status.

I evangelize everyone and my main focus is talking about the beauty of repentance and it is linked with faith. If a catholic or orthodox hasn’t been to confession in years I suggest how great it would be to go. I evangelize evangelicals very strongly because they believe in once saved always saved which is against the bible and historic Christianity and this osas belief lacks repenting which is needed for salvation. When I was at an evangelical church I saw many people do many evil things and say they where “saved” at least now at the Catholic Church when I see people do the same things they will admit their salvation is in question.
With non Christians I will ask them about what they believe and them I will simply tell them what makes me so happy is what I believe. I always have a stack of holy cards and rosaries to give out to everyone for free

God bless

Jews also. It is forbidden for Catholics to proselytize Jews.

-Tim-

=dronald;11756981]I was having a discussion here and I have now learned that Catholics are called not to proselytize the Orthodox. I actually did find this surprising seeing that Catholics see themselves with absolute truth in faith. I also don’t believe that us Evangelicals should take Catholics away from their Faith. Unfortunately there are fundamentalists that do, but I prefer the view of C.S. Lewis or William Lane Craig, and most intellectual Evangelicals.

So I have a few questions for all the different posters here, regardless of Religion:

[quote]1. Would you try to bring non-Christians away from their Religion to Christianity?

NOt against their will. But yes.

1. Would you try to bring non Trinitarian adherents (Mormans, JW’s, SDA’s, Unitarians) away from their Religion to Christianity? (Also, this question can be reversed for any readers of those Religions to Trinitatians)
    [/quote]

I might respect another PERSON of a differing faith; but NOT their faith beliefs.

There in but One TRUE God

One True God can and DOES have just One Faith [Eph. 4:4-8]

And following His own OT tradition of just One Chosen people; Christ founded and desires ONLY one Church [Mt 16:15-19] is precisely singular.:thumbsup:

1. Would you try to bring adherents out of a non-Catholic/Orthodox Faith to your Faith? (Again, question for the reverse)

Of course I would; if there were an interest shown.

1. Would you try to bring an Orthodox member out, and into your Faith? (Reverse as well)

God’s Divine and Perfect Will has always been for JUST One Church for One God and HIS One Faith. Amen:rolleyes:

God Bless you,
Patrick
I hope I phrased all this well. Thank you.

I think evangelizing, and proselytizing are different.

As for me, I seek to evangelize (share the good news) with family first,( being that many are un-catechized) next friends ( much as the same as the former unfortunately :frowning: ) and then my community!

Now trying to steal away other trinitarians :shrug: well, I don’t actively peruse such things, but a hearty discussion of faith may have that affect. I have had a few close evangelical friends convert to the Catholic faith, through discussions we have had, but they were asking questions, and I was merely giving answers, or asking them questions, in regards to their beliefs!

With that being said, my wife is a non-catholic, but a Trinitarian evangelical Christian! Her family was very anti-catholic until I was able to dispel some falsities about the Catholic faith, also her brother converted, due to much of our discussions, but they still have many reservations being that they come from a denomination ( non denomination, but they are a denomination, Calvary Chapel) that is at odds with what they perceive Catholicism to be!

I personally find it healthy to be a skeptic, if by being a skeptic, it draws you to question why you believe, what you believe, and why do others believe, what they believe, then it’s healthy, we are told to test all things, so I feel it’s good! Our faith is reasonable, so why not explore it deeply!

I give a reasonable explanation when asked about the Faith, but I am not perusing discussions on why they believe, what they believe!

It has been a bit of a problem at times, but we can focus on what we have in common in regards to faith! My wife has found that Catholics are not what her denominations say they are, but has reservations on certain things, like the Eucharist, although the priest gave a message on Christ sacrifice and offering Himself to the Father on our behalf, plus coming to the Lords table, which made her much more sympathetic to the Catholic Understanding, it is in the Transubstantiation language, where she has a problem with a physically present Christ!

My wife’s family profess Christ, and have been baptized, so the journey towards Christ Truth, is ongoing.

My family is one that is un-catechized, nominal believers, some Diest. Pro gay marriage, but thankfully anti abortion! They fundamentally believe that you are saved by your works, in a strict merit sense, and think that " if your good, outweighs your bad, you will go to heaven! "

My mom and stepfather, both were raised in fear of hell, that anything you do, will send you to hell, miss Mass, divorce, contraception and other things, but now think that " if you are good, then that’s good enough" so they don’t really have a steep theological understanding of their faith, but do have an imperfect view, as we all do to some degree! On another note, they do think that if a child is not baptized and dies, than to hell it will go! My nephews have not been baptized, and my parents want me to baptize them ( I live 3000 miles away, and I have no more vested ability than they do, so I encourage them to speak to my sister, but she thinks it doesn’t matter, and the father of her children(yep, unmarried and living together) is adamantly against it :frowning: I tell them that if it is in their conscience, that they fear for his soul, than they should baptize them, my sister wouldn’t mind, and would probably prefer it so she wouldn’t have to hear about it anymore, I don’t think their father would care either, it’s just the event of the Church, that he doesn’t want to be apart of. If it was myself, or my parents who baptize, then he would just write it off as a superstitious act, that appeased everybody, so he would be for it, just to shut everyone up I suppose!

Since I am moving close to home soon, will I evangelize? You bet I will :thumbsup:

As far as those trinitarians outside the Catholic faith, if they want to know something about Catholicism, I will gladly share, but am I pursuing them? No, people tend to ask questions, and I try to give answers when asked! Often it will be along the lines of " in the bible it says," so I sit and listen, I give reasons for why I believe otherwise in regards to interpretation and give the Church teaching, but I am not the one who is the prime mover in the discussion so to speak!

God bless!

i ask the Holy spirit is there any thing "specific " that he wants to tell the person-

and typically i get a prophetic word – or a vision – or a - thought – that i am to tell the person

what i found was the scripture
no one comes to Jesus except that the Father – first draws him – is an actual fact–

or as Saint paul said – one plants the seed, one waters, and another brings in the harvest

1 Corinthians 14:24-25

King James Version (KJV)

24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Absolutley not! I do not believe in shoving anything down anyone’s throat. If someone from another faith is inquiring or has interest,then I would be more than happy to teach the CC faith. But to bring him or her out of their own faith/church…no! I consider JW’s and Mormons who try to pull you away in order to get you to join their sect. It is called free-will…let the person make that decision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.