What is your favorite bird? And every fowl encounter you've had under the sun

Really is amazing and awesome, the many and diverse species of birds God has fashioned.

I grew up with Roadrunners,I think it was Porky Pig who introduced me at a very young age through Loony Tunes

3 Likes

I’m going to second, or third or 4th the hummingbird. They have such cute personalities.

We used to have a kids playhouse in the back yard. One of the neighborhood cats loved to sleep on its roof. The hummingbirds would taunt that cat, hovering just out of range. They would stick out their tiny tongues as if to say " nyah, nyah, you can’t get me. Nyah."

3 Likes

Pigeons come to mind.

1 Like

Speaking of hummingbirds, my favorite too, my friends had a hummingbird nest in her tree. It was no bigger than a spoonful, with tiny little jellybeans inside… simply adorable!

The Ospreys are pretty cool. I saw some fish-diving last year when we were at a lake up in Payson, AZ. I had never heard of them before that.

6 Likes

Yeah hummingbird nests are cute. At one place I worked, a hummingbird set up shop. Tiny little nest. From my view out the window, when the babies hatched, the only thing I could see was the nest and 4 tiny beaks sticking straight up.

2 Likes

I want to like all these and I can’t :confused:amazing !!
I saw one in MO one summer,something that I’d always hoped to see after reading books when I was a kid.

3 Likes

I wish I could see the cardinals and blue jays. I used to have big families of black and white woodpeckers in our saguaro until it fell down. It was so sad. It was right out front of my great big window. Nice to watch them in the mornings.

1 Like

You guys are very blessed. Where I live in Colorado, it seems, there aren’t nearly as many species as some others posters here. I see hummingbirds but rarely.

Oh really? I’m surprised. It seems like there’d be a lot of different varieties out there. Hm, that’s interesting.

Perhaps I don’t watch enough. We have red flickers. They are pretty cool.

1 Like
4 Likes

It would be fun to plan a garden with them in mind.I like most flowering vines with trumpet flowers …an combination of hummingbirds and flowering vines sounds wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is! Southern Ca is home to two major species of hummingbird, and several transitory species of hummers as well.

I had a bottle brush tree that hummingbirds love. (It died a couple years ago from some sort of blight). In the spring a bunch of hummers migrate up from Mexico. I remember one year having maybe 50 or so of the little critters in that tree at any one time. And have 6 or 7 visit my hummingbird feeder. It’s really fun to watch them chase each other around.

2 Likes

That almost look metallic ? I think the one I saw was green blue .Kind of a flash in the distance,

1 Like

Those are the Anna’s hummers.

1 Like

Well, if ever I end up living in the States I’ll be keeping the wildlife in mind for my yard.
I met some lovely garter snakes ,bumblebees and a huge black and blue butterfly there sometime back.
It look sometime to believe the snakes when they said they were harmless.

1 Like

The Major Wheeler variety of honeysuckle is hummer magnet, and it is non invasive like other varieties. It blooms from spring through late fall. Butterflies love it too. It is a big ugly in the winter, but so is everything else.
I planted some on a 20 foot pole that use to have one of 1980s style satellite dishes on it. It took a couple of year to cover that pole. I will post a picture come spring when it is bloom.

3 Likes

I love honeysuckles :). Stephies bottle brush would be an Australian native I’m guessing .Our wattlebirds and others really enjoy the nectar from them.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.