What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?

With the christmas season upon us I start looking forward to my annual favorites which are:
“IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE”
“MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET”

WHICH are your annual favorites to enjoy?

“To Grandmother’s House We Go,” “White Christmas,” “Polar Express,” “On the Second Day of Christmas,” “The Night They Saved Christmas.”

Anything with Rudolph!:blush:

“It’s a Wonderful Life”, without question!

Also, the version of “A Christmas Carol” in which George C. Scott is Ebenezer Scrooge. Magnificent!

Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol (Oh, Magoo…you’ve done it again…")
Scrooge the Musical
The Fourth Wise Man
An American Christmas Carol

But the Christmas season doesn’t start until I see
a Charlie Brown Christmas and the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I haven’t missed a single year seeing either one since they were released.

I also loved The Gathering (70’s) with Ed Asner.

“Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence”

Kathy

It’s a wonderful Life. No doubt about it.

miss some of the shows that used to be shown every year, wonder of they saved the telecast of Amahl and the Night Visitors, which I believe was an opera written for TV especially. I think there was a made for TV Scrooge as well in the 50s-early 60s. am I old or what?

like the original Grinch which I think was first a feature in a woman’s mag, Family Circle, I think, and I first read it there.

Little Women, any version, is my favorite movie with a Christmas setting, but I still get a kick out of Home Alone and the Christmas Story never grows old. Like any and all versions of Miracle on 34th, saw a made for TV version last year, but Natalie Wood is the best. The other fave is Meet Me in St. Louis. it is lame but I love the original Prancer.

and Charley Brown, but they haven’t shown it for years. If I see the music on CD I am going to get it.

also used to love the Christmas-theme variety shows–Andy Williams, Perry Como, Mitch Miller, etc. and loved the **** Van **** “Drummer Boy” episode. some modern carols that have become standards premiered on such shows.

the editor does not like the name of one of the most popular TV comedians ever? what a world, what a world, what a world.

The Story of St. Nicholas. It’s about the Bishop, not Santa.

It’s not Christmas until I’ve seen “A Charlie Brown Christmas”! I’ve only ever missed it once since its release.

After that I want to see “The Night They Saved Christmas”, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”, and I’ve bought “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” because they never show it any more.

I also enjoy “A Muppet Christmas” and “Garfield’s Christmas”.

ABC shows it at least twice every year since 2001 if you’re talking about the original “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.

Another vote for It’s a Wonderful Life, but it’s tied with The Bells of St. Mary’s.

:rolleyes: Does anyone remember The Littlest Angel? (I used to watch it when I was a kid and I’m ancient – over forty.) I’m almost certain that it was a Christmas show. I used to love that one, too.

A Charlie Brown Christmas, Its a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn and Going My Way (kinda a Christmas movie). Those are the staples, every year.

A Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite holiday movie.

Favorite TV special is “A Garfield Christmas Special” where Jon, Odie and Garfield go do Christmas on the farm. Its touching and funny! My mom and I watch it together every year :slight_smile:

puzzleannie -
I remember Amahl and the Night Visitors! And that one song that went “THANKyou, THANKyou…” that to a little kid seemed to drone on and on and I couldn’t get it out of my head. My parents used to watch it every Christmas when I was a kid. I hadn’t thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory!

I vaguely remember it.

imdb.com/title/tt0064595/

Quite the cast in this one!

A lesser-known gem called, I think, ‘Robbie the Reindeer’, made by Ardman (the same guys behind Chicken Run and the Wallace and Gromit movies) - it’s festively hilarious!

It’s A Wonderful Life!
A Christmas Carol
Christmas Vacation
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Scrooged
Holiday Inn
Going My Way
Rudolph
Frosty
Charlie Brown
Home Alone

And of course the Begining of 'Jesus of Nazareth’
the Greatest Movie Of All-Time!

I’m with the OP – It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

Which version of the latter do you like? I think there are five versions, but I know of the Maureen O’Hara version and the 1994 one with Mara Wilson, and I love them both. I’ve seen one of the TV remakes as well, but I don’t remember which.

Phemie,
Thanks! Don’t ask me why I never thought to look for it online. (But, like I said, I’m over forty… it takes me some time to think to do things in new ways :stuck_out_tongue: ) I ordered it via your link. I’ll say a prayer for you as I sit down to watch it for the first time in … hmmm… how many years has it been?

Gidget,
I have the Littlest Angel (Loretta Young) on a record album. I haven’t heard it in years because I don’t have a turntable, but can still hear the whole thing in my head; it was one of those records we played over and over and over. Loretta Young had such a wonderful gentle voice. Even thinking of it makes me tear up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.