What is your favorite Classical Music piece?

What classical music peice do you guys like and who is your favorite musician?

Right now I think Rossini might be my favorite. I like his The Barber of Seville Overture and The theiving Magpie Overture.

Clair de lune

it would be impossible for me to name just one composer let alone one piece of music – so these are my top composers, not in any order, though the first is, well, as close to a true first as anyone gets:

Chopin (love the Ballades, Nocturnes, Preludes, Mazurkas, Sonatas…see what I mean:D )
Scriabin (awesome Preludes)
Beethoven (Piano Sonatas, string quartets, etc)
Bach (WTC)
Vivaldi
Corelli
Mozart
Liszt
Palestrina
Rachmaninoff
Biber (did you know he wrote some very interesting music for the Rosary)

Those are the major ones…

Rachmaninoff Prelude in C sharp minor youtube.com/watch?v=zVDUdI-YuoE

Several of the Beethoven piano sonatas

Clair de lune

Hey what about Bruch!?

Bruch – Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor
Mozart – Ave Verum Corpus
Beethoven – Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major
– Violin Sonata No. 9 “Kruetzer” in A Major
– Romance in G major for violin
– Symphony No. 7 in A major
– Mass in D major
– Symphony No. 3 “Erioca” in E flat major
Tchiakovsky – Nutcracker
– 1812 overture
– Symphony No. 6 in B minor
– Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor
– Violin Concerto in D major
Vivaldi – The Seasons
Bach – Chaconne from Partita No. 2 in D minor for Violin
– Double Concerto for two violins in D minor
– Wachet Auf Cantata
– Toccata and Fugue in D minor
– Bach Invention in D minor
– Partita in B-flat major for clavier
– Mass in B minor
Handel – Messiah
– Water Music
– Concerto Grosso No. 10 in d minor
Shostakovich – Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor
– Symphony No. 5 in D minor
Prokoviev – Violin Concerto No. 2 in g minor
– Peter and Wolf

Long list. :smiley:

In concentrating on piano pieces, I forgot my other favorite, Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring.

Favorite composer: Tchaikovsky.

Favorite of his works: Symphony No. 4 in F minor

I also especially like his ballets and other works like the Romeo and Juliet, Francesca da Rimini, March Slav.

Though I wouldn’t object to listening to anything else that has been listed by other posters so far.

Difficult to pin it to just these two, much less one but if pressed it would be either: Tchaikovski March Slav or Tchaikovski’s Violin Conceto. Tchaikovski is the true king of rock and roll :slight_smile: OK, now I’m thinking of Mozart’s Requiem mass…so three.

I think it would help to explain why you like what you do - if you’ve thought about it that much. To me, I love Tchaikovski because his work is generally so full of passion. Same reason I love the Blues. It is music that conveys deepest emotions.

Any opera by Verdi :extrahappy: any Lieder by Strauss or Wolf. :heart:
I’m sure many more are my favourite also. It’s just so hard to choose! :confused:

What about Paganini? Moto Perpetuo and Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major. Oh wait. Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor.

Kill the Wabbit.

No real favorite here. I just do not like the more modern composers.

Does that mean you prefer the de-composers? :stuck_out_tongue:

Paganini’s Caprices are very interesting

I have to admit that I like the time-honored favorites:

1. Nutcracker–not just the Suite, but the whole ballet.

2. The Messiah

3. And although I think Wagner had a lot of evil traits, I love his biggie, Der Ring des Nibelungen. 20 plus hours of really good story and music.

I love Mozart:
The Magic Flute

or Puccini’s Madame Butterfly
Give me Opera and Operetta anytime.

I don’t think Wagner’s opera’s are very good. Too pagan. I’ve played the violin parts to those things, the music stinks to high heaven. Hitler of course love those opera’s. :stuck_out_tongue: Wagner was pretty much everything a person shouldn’t be. Not to mention he was an adulterer.

Ten foot snakes! Freemason themes! A ridiculous libretto.

Like I said in my post, Wagner had a lot of evil traits. I don’t admire the man, but I do like his Ring opera. I keep waiting for Disney to make it into a movie musical.

21th century music: Carl Orff- Camina Burana, the ultimate trailer music.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.