What is your favorite Classical Music piece?

Whatever I’ve just finished listening to, at any given time.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to run my Sirius satellite radio at work, and their two classical channels keep me very happy.

I listen to and play mostly jazz but when the mood is right I enjoy Debussy, Gershwin and Mozart. Picking a favorite is impossible.

I think the Magic Flute sounds alot like Rossini’s stuff that I refered to.

Our local NPR station used to have a show on called “Desert Island Discs” (it might have been nationally broadcast, I don’t remember). Anyway, they would have a prominent person list which five CDs they would take with them if they were to be stranded on a desert island. Thinking along those lines, I would take:

Monteverdi Vespro della Beata Vergine
Bach Mass in b min.
Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem
Mozart Requiem
and #5 would be a toss-up between the Beethoven symphonies, the Bach Brandenburg concerti, and a few other works. If #5 had to be something modern, I would take Arvo Pärt’s Kanon Pokajanen. Yeah, I like big choral works. :slight_smile:

I must kill the wabbit now. :cool:

“Agus Dei”, the choral arrangement of Adagio for Strings by the American composer Samuel Barber. He composed Adagio for Strings at the ripe old age of 26!

The composer arranged the piece in 1967 for eight-part choirof the Agnus Dei (“Lamb of God”).

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccáta mundi: miserére nobis
* Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world: have mercy on us.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccáta mundi: miserére nobis
* Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world: have mercy on us.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccáta mundi: dona nobis pacem.
* Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world: grant us peace.*

He originally wrote it as the second movement of a string quartet, but within two years arranged it for string orchestra. In this form, it became not only his most popular work, but also an unofficial American anthem of mourning, played after the deaths of Presidents Roosevelt and Kennedy.

Adagio for Strings can be heard in films such as Platoon, The Elephant Man, El Norte, Amélie, Lorenzo’s Oil, S1m0ne and Reconstruction.

The version of the piece performed by London Symphony Orchestra was, for a time, the highest selling classical piece on iTunes.

Here’s a YouTube of Samuel Barber’s Agnus Dei performed by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (Basílica El Escorial)

I prefer this recording sung by The Choir of Trinity College,Cambridge,UK but there is no video just a picture of the composer Samuel Barber.

My favorite recording is “Agnus Dei; for chorus & organ/piano (arr. from 2nd mvt. of String Quartet), Op. 11” on the CD entitled “Agnus Dei: Music of Inner Harmony: The Choir of New College Oxford” conducted by Edward Higginbottom

:bigyikes: How can you say this!!! I know he wasn’t the nicest person on earth but he was a GENIUS of a musician.:thumbsup:

Hear hear!

Ms Bonnie and I were listening to some Rossini on the radio one day, and she commented that it sounded almost like Mozart. I said, “Yeah–Mozart with tomato sauce.” :smiley:

Yes, I thought the same thing when I first listened to Rossini. They are both very upbeat. I like Rossini better though.

You can tell that to my violin teacher who is Jewish.

The roots of Nazism are this:

Eugenics
The Volkischer and Pan-German mvts
The Occult
German anti-semitism
Russian anti-semitism
THE WAGNERIAN Bayreuth Cult
The Thurle Society

Yes, I know, and as I said he wasn’t the nicest person on earth by any means. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t have talent of genius proportion. It is very unfortunate that he abused that talent when he was anti-semetic.

With regard to Wagner, the way I see it with art and music, if you judged every work of art by the moral quality of the artist, there would be very few works of “merit” as art is man-made and men are corrupt and sinful. Talent is a gift given, like the sun and the rain, “for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.” Matthew 5:45.

I hate to break it to you and your violin teacher, but Wagner was not the only Anti-Semite in Europe during his time. Does this make it okay? Of course not. But I think to dismiss his music because of hatred of the man is kind of extreme.

Let’s not forget the extreme poverty of Germany during the Great Depression, the weak democratic regime of the Weimar period and the heavy handed punishment of Germany after WW1 not to mention the false promises and hopes that Hitler made to alleviate these problems to get himself into power.

And if Hitler were to have also enjoyed the music of Bach, Beethoven and Benny Goodman, would that have made their music bad?

That still doesn’t erase the pagan elements of Nazism.

I’m just pointing out the fact that he is. Not that his music is bad.

Tchaikovsky’s Pathetique and Mendelssohn’s Hebrides Overture.:clapping:

I think it was Mark Twain who said Wagner’s music was not as bad as it sounds.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.