What is your favorite early church father?

I personally think that the Augustine is the best, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

[quote=johnpaullover]I personally think that the Augustine is the best, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
[/quote]

I think too.

I like St. Ignatius simply because his writings are so full of answers to protestant objections to the Catholic faith. He answers questions about heresies that have not even come into existance yet. There is nothing new (as in heresies) under the sun!!! I have discovered that letting the Fathers speak for themselves works better than most of us trying to explain or defend the faith. They are a treasure that we use unfortunatly to little. Use them any chance you get!! :thumbsup:

[quote=OurLadyOfEfes]I like St. Ignatius simply because his writings are so full of answers to protestant objections to the Catholic faith. He answers questions about heresies that have not even come into existance yet. There is nothing new (as in heresies) under the sun!!! I have discovered that letting the Fathers speak for themselves works better than most of us trying to explain or defend the faith. They are a treasure that we use unfortunatly to little. Use them any chance you get!! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I fully agree. :thumbsup:

No multiple pickings? I must choose? :frowning:

I chose St. John Chrysostom for my favorite church father.

matthew

Gotta go with Ignatius (the first one, not the second :wink: ).

Well I couldn’t put ALL the early church fathers on here, so I put down the first ones I could think of.

Grace & Peace!

Origen and/or Athanasius would be my vote…though because some of Origen’s ideas were held a bit suspect, I’d vote Athanasius. The work God accomplished through him during the dark days of the Arian heresy, and the incredible ecstatic beauty of the De Incarnatione Verbi are just a couple reasons why he’s one of the greatest saints, to me.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!

[quote=johnpaullover]I personally think that the Augustine is the best, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
[/quote]

I would say, either him, or Origen, or Clement of Alexandria :slight_smile: Or Cyril of Jerusalem.

With consolation prizes to Diodore of Tarsus, Theodoret of Cyrrhus, & Theodore of Mopsuestia.

Not John Chrysostom, not Cyril of Alexandria, not Jerome ##

Pope Leo XIII’s encyclical “Providentissimus Deus” states: "In the Eastern Church, the greatest name of all is Origen—a man remarkable alike for penetration of genius and for persevering labour; from whose numerous works and his great Hexapla almost all have drawn that came after him."

For the Holy Bible, Origen is the best, in my opinion and relative to by ability.

For me, Ambrose and Augustine are next. But I find Ambrose much easier for my ability and taste.

For my ability, I find it impossible to say who is the absolute best.

Relative to one’s ability or the subject and we could talk all day…
[size=1]

[/size][right]forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_cad/quote.gif [/right]
Jim BaurView Public ProfileSend a private message to Jim BaurFind all posts by Jim BaurAdd Jim Baur to Your Buddy List

Origen, hands down. :smiley:

How is it that Ignatius of Antioch makes the list twice, and Cyprian of Carthage doesn’t make it at all?!?

My vote goes to OTHER - namely the “African Pope” (he was called thus because of his great influence - he was never Bishop of Rome).

Cyprian! Cyprian! Cyprian!

OK, He was DEAD WRONG on Baptism by heretics (or, “those made wet by heretics” as he so put it), but that just goes to show that even great Church Fathers can be wrong in matters not yet formally defined. But he put up one heck of a good fight! If the Church did not tell me otherwise, I would swear he was right!

He was a passionate hothead (who lost his head for Jesus).

My Favorite Early Father - without a moment’s hesitation…

St Cyprian of Carthage.

May this great Bishop and Martyr pray for us all. AMEN!

Ambrose of Milan.

He should be the patron saint of Bishops involved in politics. This guy really stood his ground when it came to political injustice. He threatened to excommunicate Emperor Theodosius for killing innocent poeple and made him do a public confession. He got Emperor Gratian to remove the last vestiges of paganism in the senate. His sermons helped Augustine convert.

He is a guy who stays in the background, but influences a lot of people. Not a bad theologian either.

God bless.

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will make aa new one and correct mistakes. If you wish to post here, post at Poll: Mistake about fathers :thumbsup:

It is too tough to choose one and I haven’t read enough to choose just one. I have read Ignatius and he is good. I have read a few of Augustine and he is good. I have read some of Chrysostom and he is good so far. I am interested in Ambrose now. He seems like a good one.

Jerome, personally, is my favorite. He asserts my belief in celibacy, and is very witty, as well. :thumbsup:

St. Augustine is my favorite!!! But I love so many of them.

Here is my top 5

1. St. Augustine
  2. St. Jerome
  3. St. Thomas Aquinas
  4. St. Ireneus
  5. St. Ambrose

I don’t really know too much about the early fathers to pick one over the other. But St Justin Martyr is the one I read about that really blew me away. He pretty much single handedly brought me into the faith.

Pseudo-Dionysius, love the name

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.