What is your favorite fantasy series?

Maybe we can make a list?

My favorite is A Song of Ice and Fire.

Next! :D

Good choice. Mine's a toss up between A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time.

The Wheel of Time. Sadly, I haven't had time for reading lately, so the newest book is still sitting on my table waiting for me to read it. :blush:

-CK

[quote="Catholic_Kenpo, post:3, topic:188537"]
The Wheel of Time. Sadly, I haven't had time for reading lately, so the newest book is still sitting on my table waiting for me to read it. :blush:

-CK

[/quote]

I started re-reading the entire series before I get to the new book. So far, I'm almost done with book 2. :) The next book will be out by the time I get caught up.

Another good series is a trilogy called Mistborn. It's by Brandon Sanderson, the author who is finishing the Wheel of Time series after the death of Robert Jordan.

I believe Tolkien counts as fantasy. I loved Lord of the Rings. Runner up would probably be Harry Potter.

Other than the usual popular titles such as Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and Harry Potter, I also liked reading the first two Inkheart books. :p (Haven't read the third yet :o)

Two other series I haven't exactly read but really, really want to are Inheritance and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. :D

I love Tolkien's Middle Earth tales, although technically they are not a series. The richness and beauty of every aspect of his creations fills me with awe. :)

[quote="Havard, post:7, topic:188537"]
I love Tolkien's Middle Earth tales, although technically they are not a series. The richness and beauty of every aspect of his creations fills me with awe. :)

[/quote]

You beat me to it! ;)

I love Tolkien's works...I can re-read them and always find a new amazing aspect of writing or beauty...he is one of the true masters of literature. The depth of his writing is astounding...I love it...:)

[quote="LilyElain, post:8, topic:188537"]
You beat me to it! ;)

I love Tolkien's works...I can re-read them and always find a new amazing aspect of writing or beauty...he is one of the true masters of literature. The depth of his writing is astounding...I love it...:)

[/quote]

Sorry! :blush:

Since I'm rereading the Silmarillion right now, I'm experiencing just what you described. It's beautiful and poetic on both the grand (epic) scale as well as in the details. Love it too!

Lord of the Rings for me, for the reasons stated by Havard and LilyElain, and then the Harry Potter series, because of the intricate detail JKR put into the tale, and because I love her wonderful characters.

[quote="Bataar, post:2, topic:188537"]
Good choice. Mine's a toss up between A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time.

[/quote]

Both great choices, along with LOTR of course.

I don't know if you can really classify it as "fantasy", but I really like the Dresden novels by Jim Butcher. They're very funny and there's a recurring Catholic character who is probably the best Catholic character I've ever come across in any fiction.

I'm personally a big fan of R.A. Salvatore's work.

Hmmm...Gotta go with Harry Potter, and two comic series titled Tokyo Babylon and X. I enjoy a lot of fantasy books, but the vast majority aren't series.

[quote="shondrea, post:13, topic:188537"]
Hmmm...Gotta go with Harry Potter, and two comic series titled Tokyo Babylon and X. I enjoy a lot of fantasy books, but the vast majority aren't series.

[/quote]

Hmm... well if you're gonna throw in comics, I guess I'll add mine. :p (I know more of them than books y'see. :o)

Mahou Sensei Negima
Fairy Tail
D.Gray-man
Ubel Blatt (Warning: Very Rated-M)

I'm also looking up yet another (albeit very intriguing) Fate/Stay Night spin-off, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya.

Let’s see…

Fullmetal Alchemist (The original one and Brotherhood)
The Kingdom Hearts series
Lord of the Rings (Movies, haven’t finished the books yet)
Naruto (despite the direction it’s going)
Bleach (Yes, it seems to be ENDING FINALLY!)
Final Fantasy series
Kino’s Journey (More allegorical than fantasy)
Samurai 7…

in no particular order :thumbsup:

[quote="LilyElain, post:8, topic:188537"]
You beat me to it! ;)

[/quote]

Ditto. And all of the Appendix stories-within-stories. Plus Unfinished Tales, and other books. We addicts are never satisfied; we want to know more and more about his world.

Its not just what Tolkien says: its how he says it. The language is beautiful and dignified, The Silmarillion even more than The Lord of The Rings. Would you call it "The High English Tongue"?

Has The Silmarillion been superseded by another work?

Forget the films......Stay with the books.

CS Lewis`s Narnia books, too: the last few pages of "The Last Battle" are awesome (in the proper sense of the word).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.