What Is Your Favorite Mass?

What is your favorite Mass? My favorite is the Rite of the Holy Sepulchre, commonly know as the Carmelite Mass. My second favorite is the Carthusian rite (the pre-1981 Mass). My third favorite is the Roman Rite according to the 1962 Missal.

Any form of the Mass I love because they fulfill the main purpose. I would love to see the Extraordinary form and I found out that my diocese has an FSSP parish.

I love the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

It’s what I grew up with, I see the beauty in it, and I love that I can ‘participate’ to a greater degree than the Extraordinary Form. The only other Mass I’ve ever attended is the Extraordinary Form, but I would love to see/attend some of the other forms (ie: Ambrosian).

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them, really.

Ordinary. But in truth I have not attended (nor desire to) any other Mass.

This. Ordinary done beautifully with incense and chanting is best.

Considering I have never been to any Mass except for Ordinary, I chose that. I would love to go to one of the other Masses you mentioned, as half of them I never heard of! A Carmelite Mass sounds rather intriguing. I will have to check that out.

Any as long as there is no 1970s style “folk hymns” or electronic musical instruments.:eek:

I am most familiar with the Ordinary Form, so it is my favorite. I have been many times to the Mass in the EF, but the closest church where it is offered is too far for me to attend on a regular basis, and also I have attended the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern rite. But I am most at home with the Ordinary Form.

Woah woah woah! I didn’t mean that! I would never go to a Mass like that, unless I was just visiting the parish and didn’t know. I believe that wouldn’t count, would it?

You might be surprised. I happen to have a certain nostalgia for the folk Mass since I grew up playing guitar at Mass in the '70s. Now, I am in no way advocating a return of the folk Mass - certainly not on this forum, at least - but it sometimes seems to me that people can be more concerned with the trappings than the Mass itself.

Sad to say, the parish I was confirmed into the Church at, had that kind of Mass. We ultimately left there and are going to another parish that has that kind of Mass if you want it, but has other ones too, including my favorite, a 6:30 AM one with no music at all. All of them are Ordinary Form though.

Not that I’m voting in this poll, but a few questions come to mind"

[LIST=1]
*]where have you experienced either the Carmelite Rite or the (pre-1981) Carthusian Rite? :confused:

*]why are the Bragan and Dominican Rites not included? :confused:

*]which Ambrosian and Mozarabic Rites do you mean, the traditional or the modern? :confused:

*] have you experienced either the Ambrosian Rite (either variety) or the Mozarabic (either variety)? :confused:
*]is there a particular reason for the total absence of any Oriental or Eastern liturgy in the poll? :confused:
[/LIST]

1. I have not personally experienced it, though I would like to. I watched a video on Youtube of a Carmelite Mass. I have not seen a pre-1981 Carthusian Mass, though I have read the rubrics, and by reading it, I already like the Mass. You don’t have to physically see it in order for it to be your favorite Mass.

2. The reason I included the “other” option is so you could select that if your favorite Mass wasn’t one of the options. There is a maximum of ten options on the poll. I would have posted the Sarum Rite as an option, but it is an extinct rite, so I didn’t. I included the pre-1981 Carthusian Mass as an option because it went out of use only 30 years ago, whereas the Sarum Rite went out of use 500 years ago.

3. I mean the traditional ones.

4. No, I have not. But again, I have seen videos of it. I have seen a video of a Traditional Ambrosian High Mass.

5. I asked “What is Your Favorite Mass?” I was specifically referring to the liturgical rites of the Latin Church.

IMO, one has to have a personal experience with a particular Rite in order to determine a true preference. Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to have known a number of now-deceased O.Carm priests, and consequently I was familiar with the Carmelite Rite. I’d love to experience it again to refresh my memories. Yes, I’ve seen the videos, but while they are lovely, they’re not a substitute for the real thing. Neither is simply reading the rubrics.

In general, and with a few exceptions, (including the Wyoming Carmelites and a similar congregation in Brazil, plus a few individual Carmelite Priories here and there under the direct jurisdiction of the Prior-General, and a small handful of individual priests who have been granted an indult based on the principles of Summorum Pontificum), the public celebration of the Carmelite Rite is now in something of a state of suspended animation. But there is yet some hope for at least a partial revival. :slight_smile:

The reason I included the “other” option is so you could select that if your favorite Mass wasn’t one of the options. There is a maximum of ten options on the poll. I would have posted the Sarum Rite as an option, but it is an extinct rite, so I didn’t. I included the pre-1981 Carthusian Mass as an option because it went out of use only 30 years ago, whereas the Sarum Rite went out of use 500 years ago.
[/quote]

Simply from the point of availability, I think the Dominican Rite should have had a place, since it is regularly available in the Western Province of the US. The Eastern Province, unfortunately, is far less accommodating in that regard, but rumor has it that they plan to be more liberal insofar as making the traditional Dominican Rite publicly available.

In re the Carthusian Rite, it’s always been rare that any non-O.Cart has been able to actually experience it. The same is generally true, although to a lesser extent, to the Cistercian Rite.

Sarum, BTW, is not exactly “extinct” but it is suppressed, and that because its continuity of usage was broken due to Cranmer and his Protestants. Queen Mary made a valiant effort to have it restored, but sadly those efforts came to naught.

I asked “What is Your Favorite Mass?” I was specifically referring to the liturgical rites of the Latin Church.
[/quote]

It might have been a good idea to have said that, lest we of the Orient and East feel that we are again being ushered to the back of the bus.

There are still Sarum Use parishes in the Church of England. We are neighbours with one and their liturgy, ceremonial and music are all divine.

Do you really mean “still” or is it more part of of a revival? IOW, I’m wondering of how long standing such parishes are? I also wonder how much is authentic (and of course that would include some Latin, at least in the Ordo Missae), and how much stems from the BCP? If it’s not BCP-affected, it would seem to occupy a niche somewhere well beyond “High Church” or even “Anglo-Catholic” :slight_smile:

They are long-standing parishes, many came about after the 19th century Oxford movement. Their focus was, and indeed is English-Use as opposed to Roman-use ceremonial. The description mainly applies to ceremonial but some use the Sarum rite for feast days - and follow its calender - others use the 1549 prayer book which was effectively an English translation of the Latin. They would certainly see themselves as a distinct branch of Anglo-Catholiscm, but separate from those parishes that imitate elements the Roman rite and/or ceremonial.

Requiem.

It seemed to me that a person (single and young) could not help but want to become a consecrated religious or a priest if they went to the 1962 missal of the Latin Mass. I go usually to the Ordinary Form however I’d go to the 1962 missal Mass if there was one available.

I feel so contradictory now, like a traitor. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.