What is your favourite image of Jesus and Why?

I love the Divine Mercy Image. It is beautiful and I look at it with adoration and reference.

Another image is the Holy Face of Jesus. So beautiful and also so sad as it’s a reminder of how Jesus suffered terribly for us. EEg7HyWXsAEMOW9

7 Likes

The Sacred Heart
The Holy Face
Infant of Prague
Most Eastern Icons

3 Likes

Artist Ray Downing developed this image from the Shroud of Turin through 3D computer enhancement. It’s more accurate than the flat images. I like to this this portrait is fairly accurate, although his skin should be darker and he should have had earlocks.

I have a framed version of this picture on my bedroom wall.

7 Likes

Lovely picture! I compared it to the Divine Mercy Image and I cannot believe how similar they are!

1 Like

Divine Mercy for me, I have the image in a frame on the ride side of my desk. It was given to me as a gift, and I also have a divine mercy image taped to my gauge cluster for my truck :slight_smile:

EDIT: and why, because of the very simple prayer “Jesus, I trust in you” and how it depicts Christ with blood and water :3

1 Like

The Lord Jesus Christ of Ohio, because this is how he allegedly looked when he appeared in my hometown diocese.
(Apparition not approved as of now, but visionary has an active sainthood cause pending)

rhoda%20wise%20jesus

5 Likes

Basically any Good Shepard imagery whether

Iconography

https://cdn.blessedmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Christ-the-Good-Shepherd-Large-Hand-Painted-Byzantine-Icon-on-Wood-2-01.jpg

Or contemporary

https://artusa.com/files/store/product/olsen-goodshepherd.jpg

Because I like to think of Christ in his humanity feeding and guarding his sheep. And I am especially drawn to contemplating how The Good Shepard will leave the 99 to go after the 1. I often feel I am that 1 straggler that Christ goes after over and over again. I imagine him finding me somewhere between a rock and a hard place, picking me up, cradling me in his arms, and carrying me back to safety. Beautiful.

9 Likes

By the same German master, Heinrich Hofmann. The eyes are mysterious, piercing. Image from the 1953 Belmont Abbey “Catholic Action Bible.”

6 Likes

Yes a lovely image. If you read the revelations of St Bridget of Sweden Mary reveals that Jesus’ appearance is fair sandy coloured hair with light brown coloured eyes. We’d probably say hazel these days, I’d guess. But she most definitely describes his general complexion as fair and his build as large but not fleshy. Anyway just saying not likely to have been dark skinned if you go by his mothers description.

1 Like
  • Most all of the Good Shepherd images

• Christ Pantocrator (Sinai) Icon

1 Like

I love most images of our Lord Jesus Christ, but my favorite is Richard Hook’s Head of Christ, sometimes affectionately called, “Surfer Jesus.”

Why? It was the first childhood image of Him that I had in our home; and was used by Teens Encounter Christ (TEC), when I became involved with that movement in high school.

Blessed are those who gaze upon our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
Deacon Christopher

2 Likes

A lot of private revelations have described Jesus as having some kind of sandy or reddish/ auburn hair and a lot of them say his face was “ruddy” too.

2 Likes

I like very much the Christ Pantocrator from the Sinai.
To me, his asymmetric face makes him look particularly alive.

6 Likes

This photo holds a lot of peace in my opinion. I really love it.

Although it’s more landscape.

6 Likes

I love that one.

image - The Laughing Jesus
I like to remember God had a sense of humor

- The Sacred Heart. Whenever I look at it, it reminds me Jesus is burning with love

5 Likes

I have searched for a frameable print but, so far, cannot find one. :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes! Aren’t these pictures just an amazing gift? So many saints would have given an arm and a leg to have these reconstructed portraits from the shroud.

My favorite images:

These two are also from Ray Downing’s reconstruction work :blush:

My very favorite from Rembrandt: “Christ With Arms Folded”

Heinrich Siemiradzki: “Christ and the Samaritan Woman”

Frans Schwartz: “Agony in the Garden”

Diego Velasquez: “Christ Crucified”

Sorry I couldn’t find a high-def version of the screenshot, but, heckin’ powerful Pieta from Franco Zeffirelli’s 1977 Jesus of Nazareth film.

Carl Bloch: “Resurrection”

4 Likes

If statues count, Jesus’ lifeless body lying in his mother’s arms in Michelangelos Pietá has always given me chills

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.