What is your morning offering?

There are many versions, and most have similar wording. I’m trying to remember the one my mom taught me when I was little.

All for thee, oh Jesus
something something
I wish to gain all the indulgences
attached to the prayers I shall say and to the good works I perform this day.
Aaaay-MEN.

Kimberly Hahn shared one in a talk I had on tape and I wish I could find it.

How does your’s go?

I say the traditional one: Oh my Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sorrows of this day, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the World, in reparation for my sins and the sins of all others, and for the intentions of your Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Just my personal devotion…

1. Our Father.
  2. Hail, Mary.
  3. Glory be.
  4. Oh, my Jesus.
  5. Come, Holy Spirit!
  6. Saint Michael the Archangel.
  7. Prayers for all of the faithful departed.

Then, my feet hit the floor.

Most days.

Yeah, for years I just could not get it together to say one, but I now say that traditional one every day. Sometimes it’s in the afternoon though.

The first prayer I usually say in the morning is 6 am Angelus because my alarm goes off at 6 am and I will reflexively start mumbling the prayer before I am fully awake.

For me, it would always include thanksgiving - for the gift of life, that I woke up in the morning. For the gift of God’s love, family, providence, job, faith and the privilege of serving Him.

It would also always include a petition for blessing to bless my day and to bless those whom I meet that day.

It also always include a short praise of my God - how good He is, that He is my Lord, that He is ny provider, that Jesus is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. In His name would I begin my day.

There would be other petitions depending on what am I going to do that day.

Hail Mary - consecrating myself to her most Immaculate Heart.

Our Father.

Glory be.

Sign of the Cross.

This. With this addition to the end:

" … the salvation of souls, reparation of sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and all the apostles of prayer, particularly those recommended by our Holy Father, the Pope. Amen."

And here I thought I was all alone in this! I mumble mine in Latin half asleep doing my walking dead shuffle to the coffee maker.

Once I’m a cup or two deep I’ll do the morning offering with Lauds and Prime.

I use this particular one along with other prayers.

O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary (here kiss the scapular as a sign of your consecration), I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the altars throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word and action of this day. O my Jesus, I desire today to gain every indulgence and merit I can, and I offer them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, that she may best apply them to the interests of Thy most Sacred Heart. Precious Blood of Jesus, save us! Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us! Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us

Liturgy of the Hours, Morning Prayer.

There is nothing better.

Morning offering to Sacred heart of Jesus (there’s actually a few prayers but they don’t all have names so I’ll just say Morning offerings (I’m a poor typist so can’t type them all out… limoncello’s one is one of them)) and the Angelus… and whatever I feel like adding ie for vocations to the priesthood religious life, peace, for someone specific etc. those are once I am out of bed and coffee is brewing. I wake up saying good morning to God and thanking Him for the nights sleep and/or asking for help to get through the day. Once I’ve had my coffee then it’s Morning prayer (Lauds).

One Franciscan community’s morning prayer is, “Praise be to Jesus Christ, now and forever.”

Simple.

It gets the day off on the right footing.

I’m a little in awe.

Protestants are so ignorant when it comes to Catholicism. There is so much devotion, tradition…the passing down of prayers and devotions from parents and grandparents…the rhythms of the liturgy…the beauty of morning and evening prayers…

And to think we thought Catholics weren’t Christians and didn’t love Jesus and didn’t live their faith…

Sorry, just thankful to be here now. I wish it had been sooner.

I also love the Morning prayer nothing like it, those Psalms give me a rhythm for the day.

And the fact that it’s also the Liturgy of the Church, and therefore, the best option for any Catholic, any day. It is a commitment and learning curve though, but not much.

St. Edith Stein taught that we should give the first hour of the day to God. Since I’m an early riser, I started to do this (while watching the sunrise and sipping coffee) and it has changed my life. I get a lot of meditation, spiritual reading and prayer in, including the Rosary. Highly recommended!

Do you feel closer to God since beginning this?

Personally, I listen to the hymn “Dear Lord and Father of Mankind” and say a Hail Mary. I’m up at 4:00 every morning, especially this summer, to go to work at the bakery. Once university starts up again I’ll go back to the old Hail Mary and reading the Psalms from the prayerbook.

My grandmother used to say the traditional one, which brings me to tears because it reminds me of her. She raised me, and so once she died, it felt like I’d lost my mother. My parents had to work away quite often, to provide, and provide they did. Because of this, and because of my grandmother’s prayers, they afforded us all luxuries that many were not privy to.

The tradition of a morning offering does the same for us. We become partakers of a great luxury and grace. Our eternal life will be an eternal morning in which there is no mourning nor shame, but peace and happiness and communion with God.

Oh yes, much closer. Given that 10 years ago or so I prayed briefly about every 5 days, if I prayed at all during the week, an hour a day, plus noontime Mass and prayer, is kind of amazing to me. To be honest for some years I confessed my neglect of prayer over and over and rarely made progress. But then it happened. I credit Our Lady of Fatima for really helping enhance my prayer life and use of the sacraments over the last number of years.

I just remembered a practice I’ve gotten out of the habit of doing, or two things, rather: The heroic moment, basically getting up as soon as you wake up, or as soon as your alarm goes off (no snooze button); also, either lying prostrate or kneeling and “kissing” the floor, and saying, “I will serve”, or “Servium”. I’m pretty sure the first has its origins on Opus Dei and the second is a practice of a past spiritual director. He didn’t tell me to do it, just shared that he did.

I’m horrible in the morning. I am not a morning person at all. When I don’t want to get out of bed I will literally offer it up for souls so I can get up.

I do like the traditional morning offering when I’m coherent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.