What is your Opinion of Jimmy Carter?

**[size=2]As a former supporter of Jimmy Carter (saddly, I admit I voted for him…the first time) I’ve come to have a very different opinon of him in recent years. http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon5.gif[/size]

If you want to read a good insite on him these articles IMHO articulated very well what I’ve seen him become in recent years.

[font=Arial]Read this: nationalreview.com/impromptus/impromptus200512050824.asp It’s intitled: [font=Times New Roman][size=4]Back to the Sage of[/size] **Plains, &c. **By Jay Nordlinger, Managing Editor of NR [/font]

and this:nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback-nordlinger101102.asp
It’s intitled: [font=Times New Roman][size=5][size=4]Carterpalooza![/size][/size] Jimmy Carter, our “model ex-president.” Also by Jay Nordlinger, Managing Editor of NR
[/font]**[/font]

My opinion of Jimmy Carter:

1)Worst president in last 100 years or so.
2)Habitat for Humanity work has been awesome.
3)Been the worst ex-president in the last 100 years,

[quote=thestickman]My opinion of Jimmy Carter:

[/quote]

1. And his IQ hasn’t changed since he’s left the high office.

[/quote]

My sentiments, exactly.

“Fool me once!” - that’s enough. A one time loser! Everybody knew that he was a failure after two years!

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly and I would like to add, using someone’s funeral to advance whatever it is you are trying to do:whacky: Shows a total lack of respect and dignity. I did not vote for him back in 1976 (my first Presidental election I was able to vote in) and 30 years later I still feel the same way. Who is he to talk? Does the number “444” have any meaning to you Mr. Carter?:hmmm:

[/quote]

Pretty much sums up my opinion as well

[/quote]

I agree with your list and its order.

What I remember from the Carter years is unemployment in double-digit figures (over 10%, I believe), an interest rate over 20%, and a rate of inflation in double-digits as well. I have also heard the theory that Carter can take some of the blame for the uprising of the middle eastern countries against the U.S., because he gave shelter the to Shah and allowed the theocracy to take hold of Iran. I will defer to anyone who has more insight on that particular issue.

Carter was also famous for praising communist countries, such as Russia and Cuba, referring to their dictators as leaders who are just trying to get along and do what’s best for their people.

For these reasons alone I cannot take his criticisms of the Bush administration seriously. He just doesn’t seem to know any better.

He knows peanuts but not much else .

[quote=tom.wineman]He knows peanuts but not much else .
[/quote]

he should, he thinks with one

[quote=tom.wineman]He knows peanuts but not much else .
[/quote]

Ah NUTS:D Seriously he was not a great leader, he was a very poor President. But of course this is the USA and Mr. Carter has the right to his opinion, but can’t he find a better place and time to discuss such matters? He of all people should have known better. Mr. Bush :thumbsup: a Class Act. He showed us grace under fire yesterday!

Jimmy Carter has been an angry man ever since he lost his reelection bid. How could he NOT be reelected, he thinks. When he first left office and got involved in Habitat for Humanity, I had a new-found admiration for him that I certainly did not have for him while he was president. Then he started this ego trip he has been on for the last few years. If you will notice, former presidents have always kept their mouths shut when it comes to commenting on other president’s performance. I don’t know if he thinks if he tears someone else down it will build him up? Frankly, I am not sure he is thinking at all. Sad to see, actually.

The only good thing I can say about Jimmy Carter is his ineptitude paved the way for the elction fo one of the Greatest Presdients of all time-Ronald Reagan.

I voted for Carter in 1976-the last time i voted for a Democrat for Presdident but then he was the last pro-life Democrat Presidential candidate. I wonder if the Democrats will ever wake up to the corealation between their supporting abortion and there being only 1 democrat president elected since 1976?

Carter was probably the most decent man to serve in the Oval Office…and he was an engineer too not a lawyer always a plus.

I always wondered if the perceived ineffectualness of his administration was simply a matter of external events or if it was related to the fact that he was a decent man. :eek:

Do you need a certain amount of ruthlessness to be an effective political leader?

Now that I’m in business for myself I realize that sometimes being “nice” doesn’t always help.

[quote=steveandersen]Carter was probably the most decent man to serve in the Oval Office…and he was an engineer too not a lawyer always a plus.

I.
[/quote]

I see people claim that all the time but no one ever backs up the assertion. I think Ronald Reagan was the most decent man to serve in theOval office with George Bush being a close second.

shoehorn:

." Among these principles is “the rudimentary American commitment to peace, economic and social justice, civil liberties, our environment and human rights.”

Well, I’ve heard others say this as well in not so many ways. Bush is not well known for his expertese in diplomacy and foreign policy.

My impression of Carter’s policy was to keep the US out of trouble by making his stay a time of peace. Whatever we can say about him, we lived in relative peace during his mandate, and we weren’t worried that he would say something that would upset the Chinese or the Russions.

But your right. We can say he didn’t try to make a name for himself, and wasn’t worried about a mediocre stay in office, and I think that’s great.

His stay can be marked has a calm in a storm that is on going to this day.

M2C

Andy

Great humanitarian. I support his anti Bush statements as well.

[quote=Troy7]Great humanitarian. I support his anti Bush statements as well.
[/quote]

Statements that were totally out of place at Mrs Kings funeral. he used her death to make cheap political shots. No class.

he has no moral values

[quote=AndyF]shoehorn:

My impression of Carter’s policy was to keep the US out of trouble by making his stay a time of peace. Whatever we can say about him, we lived in relative peace during his mandate, and we weren’t worried that he would say something that would upset the Chinese or the Russions.

But your right. We can say he didn’t try to make a name for himself, and wasn’t worried about a mediocre stay in office, and I think that’s great.

His stay can be marked has a calm in a storm that is on going to this day.

M2C

Andy
[/quote]

Yes he did ignore what was going on in the world to maintain the illussion of peace. Of course the Soviet Union took advantage of his isolationism to invade Afghanistan and Iran was emboldened to throw out the Sha, insitute a brutal theocracy and imprison American citiziens. He also showed a disreagrd for what was going on at home which led to 21% interest rates, high unemployment and high inflation BUT HE CARED and for Liberals thats all that matters

Thank God Reagan came in and cleaned up the mess Carter made.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.